U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 04:06 PM

10,568 posts, read 12,131,923 times

Advertisements

No never- when I had a garden I grew so much I could not give it all away...My mother was big on vegetable gardens and flowers...no one dared go near her garden cos' folks knew she could spear you with a broom pole at 30 yards. Here in the core of the city I have a pretty good roof top garden...soil and enough of it is a problem and watering has to be done daily. A couple of years ago some idiot came up the fire escape in the dead of night and stole my lemon tree...imagine that. I am sure that it died on them within a week...That did bother me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 08:11 PM

6,472 posts, read 15,579,918 times
Nope. Just critters.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:07 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,582,638 times
Not really. May have something to do with the fact that just about everyone in the area has guns. There is a lot of hunting that takes place in my neck of the woods and people around here, especially kids, are a lot more respectful of other people's properties. Parents around here are not shy about knocking on someone's door with their crying kids in tow to have the kids explain what they've done and EXACTLY how they are going to make it up to you. My neighbor had her entire yard cared for by neighborhood kids after they raided her garden the year before. They mowed, trimmed, mulched, weeded, shoveled... for 12 months!!!

Lesson learned for this generation around here! ;D

Old 08-05-2013, 01:22 PM

4 posts, read 6,667 times
A few years ago we had a neighborhood garage sale. A lady admired my next door neighbors huge hostas and (fool that I was) told her I was relandscaping my entire back yard and if she wanted one, to get the giant one under the tree in the blue tote, but please return the tote, which she did. During our chat I mentioned a planned trip the following week. Yep, you can see where this is going. Returned from out of town to find over 250 hostas, five large knock-out rose bushes, hundreds of iris, everything....dug right out of the ground. They took every plant, including 9 large arborvitae still in the buckets, the wind chimes and water fountain and that blue tote. When I questioned the neighbors they thought it was OK because she said I sold it all to her. They assumed it was true since they saw her out there (with me) twice.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:07 PM

31,143 posts, read 26,817,141 times
When I lived in town a couple illegal women would bring their kids with bags and send them into my yard to steal apples off the trees when I wasn't home. The thing that really got me was the apples weren't near ripe. I caught my son with his paint ball gun aimed at them one evening and stopped him from firing just in time. I confronted them but they didn't speak any English. I got a neighbor to translate and told them to wait till the apples were ripe and come to the door and they could pick some but according to another neighbor they still came at night and took green apples.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:33 PM

64 posts, read 141,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocarr49 View Post
A few years ago we had a neighborhood garage sale. A lady admired my next door neighbors huge hostas and (fool that I was) told her I was relandscaping my entire back yard and if she wanted one, to get the giant one under the tree in the blue tote, but please return the tote, which she did. During our chat I mentioned a planned trip the following week. Yep, you can see where this is going. Returned from out of town to find over 250 hostas, five large knock-out rose bushes, hundreds of iris, everything....dug right out of the ground. They took every plant, including 9 large arborvitae still in the buckets, the wind chimes and water fountain and that blue tote. When I questioned the neighbors they thought it was OK because she said I sold it all to her. They assumed it was true since they saw her out there (with me) twice.
Did you get the stuff back?

Old 08-05-2013, 07:28 PM

8,322 posts, read 11,440,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobjuan View Post
Not really. May have something to do with the fact that just about everyone in the area has guns. There is a lot of hunting that takes place in my neck of the woods and people around here, especially kids, are a lot more respectful of other people's properties. Parents around here are not shy about knocking on someone's door with their crying kids in tow to have the kids explain what they've done and EXACTLY how they are going to make it up to you. My neighbor had her entire yard cared for by neighborhood kids after they raided her garden the year before. They mowed, trimmed, mulched, weeded, shoveled... for 12 months!!!

Lesson learned for this generation around here! ;D
Now that is some great parents to scare their kids straight!!

Old 08-05-2013, 08:16 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,511,718 times
Old farmer got tired of kids stealing watermelons from his patch so he put a sign by the road, "Warning! One of these watermelons has been injected with poison." He hadn't done that but they wouldn't know which one had been poisoned IF he had. The next morning when he checked the patch, the sign had a new sign on it. "Warning! TWO of these watermelons has been injected with poison"

Old 08-06-2013, 12:13 PM

29,689 posts, read 40,601,927 times
Twice, I've had someone come in and take every grape off of 6 very large loaded grape vines. They have to come inside a 6 foot tall chain link fence with a chain on the gate to do it. There is no mistake about whether or not they are on private property.

Then one year, some one came in and cleaned every apple off the apple trees and every pear.

That was bad enough, but the fruit was very under-ripe and sour: grapes, apples, and all. So not only did they steal food that I needed for my family, they weren't able to eat it themselves. They had to have thrown it all away.

The birds get almost all of the cherries, but they aren't shy about it, so it is pretty obvious that it is bird damage and not theft by humans.

I've never had vegetables stolen, but I know people who have had their veggie gardens stripped; mostly tomatoes and sweet corn. Nobody seems to steal the zucchini

Old 08-06-2013, 12:34 PM

6,464 posts, read 5,118,122 times
No, but I had a lime tree and it produced more limes than we could use. I gave many of the extras away, in fact I told all my neighbors that they could take what they wanted. We had plenty to share and never ran out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden