U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 08:47 AM

6,500 posts, read 5,395,973 times

Advertisements

Spring was great for my lawn, summer came and these started popping up everywhere. It almost looks like a grass but lighter in color, so it stands out. Pulling them is simple enough but they keep sprouting up here and there.

Im not sure if its a type of crab grass or nutsedge. I initially thought nutsedge but when I pull them up, they dont have those little pods in the roots.

Anyone have an idea what these are exactly and the best way to deal w/ them? Im assuming im out of luck for this year, but maybe I can use a good type of pre-emregent next year in the spring....

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 09:05 AM

3,339 posts, read 8,289,024 times
It's either crabgrass or another grassy weed, but it is definitely not nutsedge, which is a paler green, grows straight up and has a square shaped stem with all the leaves rolled in it, it's most identifying feature.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:49 AM

7,694 posts, read 9,891,676 times
Ditto what TinaMcG wrote. Nutsedge is a sedge, not a grass. If you dig up nutsedge you will also see the tiny 'potatoes' (tubers) that give it the nut part of the name. One easy way to distinguish sedges from grasses like crabgrass is that you can easily rip a crabgrass blade in two, but not so a sedge. Sedges are really tough in the leaf department.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:05 AM

Ok, thanks. Then I guess its just a type of crab grass. Ive actually used some crab grass killer, and it hasnt worked too well. Some of the stuff dies very slowly, but has kept sprouting up all through out the yard. Kinda disappointed. I moved in here a couple years ago and I had no grass really at all. Weeds, moss, weird looking carpet stuff all over. I took down a few of the big oaks and managed to really turn around the yard and get grass growing in nearly 3/4 of the yard. Looked really good this spring, but the summer heat wave we had a month ago and this crab grass has really done some damage.

I hope some pre-emergent stuff will work next year.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:48 PM

25,627 posts, read 32,578,262 times
1) Do you have a gardner or mow your own lawn.

2) Three Weed be Gone applications once every three weeks. make sure the grass hasn't been cut for at least a week and a half for maximum leafage. Follow directions on package.

3) I hope its not but that might be dalis grass. Maybe barnyard grass? Doesnt quite look like crab.

4) Preemergent right before spring.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:06 AM

41,320 posts, read 52,424,213 times
Picture #1 looks like crabgrass.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwBQ&dur=1414

Picture # 2 sure looks like yellow nutsedge.

PlantFiles: Picture #5 of Weedy Yellow Nutsedge, Weedy Nutsedge, Weedy Nutgrass (Cyperus esculentus)

Old 08-12-2013, 07:42 AM

7,694 posts, read 9,891,676 times
^Sorry, but picture two is for sure not yellow nutsedge.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
1) Do you have a gardner or mow your own lawn.

2) Three Weed be Gone applications once every three weeks. make sure the grass hasn't been cut for at least a week and a half for maximum leafage. Follow directions on package.

3) I hope its not but that might be dalis grass. Maybe barnyard grass? Doesnt quite look like crab.

4) Preemergent right before spring.
1. I mow it

2. Last application of weed killer didn't say how long to wait until I mowed again after application. How long is usually recommended?

4. I like to seed in the spring as well. Will I have time to seed before summer if I put down pre-emergent before spring?

Old 08-12-2013, 10:46 AM

5,048 posts, read 7,932,169 times
I enlarged your grassy pic and it looks like mine as far as I can tell. It's still very low, though. I discovered mine was bamboo grass. It was in areas not in grass where it grew to several inches so I could tell ...it looked like bamboo. Never knew there was bamboo grass. Our spreads very easily so it's handy in bare spots in the landscaping. See if this pic is like yours:

Pogonatherum crinitum ª÷µ·¯ó

Old 08-12-2013, 11:09 AM

25,627 posts, read 32,578,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
1. I mow it

2. Last application of weed killer didn't say how long to wait until I mowed again after application. How long is usually recommended?

4. I like to seed in the spring as well. Will I have time to seed before summer if I put down pre-emergent before spring?
1) Wash the bottom of your mower after each mowing. NOT ON LAWN.

2)Wait at least three days before mowing after application. The longer the better of course.

3)No you wont be able to spring/dormant seed and apply pre-emergent. There are some pre-emergent products that professional licensed applicators have the can be used that are a little less effective because they are applied later in the spring. Do an early fall/late-late summer seeding if you plan to effectively use pre emergents in the fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden