Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2013, 08:19 PM

9 posts, read 9,196 times

Advertisements

There something eating my head of cabbage but don't know what it is. The head is about 3 1/2 to 4 inches around. Can I just dig it out of the garden and eat it while whatever is eating it hasn't got too bad? Or would it be best to put something on it to kill whatever is eating it and if so what would be safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 09:26 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,734,083 times
I'm not sure if I understand what is being asked. If it is an animal and the cabbgage is close to be ready for harvest then go ahead and take it inside and clean it well before you eat it. If you have some form of caterpillar or other insect boring in you can always harvest it and cut out any parts that have been tunneled in and of course any part that still has the live critter(s). If it is still not far enough along to harvest there are some things you can try. There are some controls for some of the pests you may have:

HGIC 2203 Cabbage, Broccoli & Other Cole Crop Insect Pests : Extension : Clemson University : South Carolina

Practice Organic Cabbage Worm Control for a Chemical-Free Garden - Organic Gardening - MOTHER EARTH NEWS

Old 08-14-2013, 09:52 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,797,672 times
Could it be these two hungry critters?

Doggies eat cabbage in a garden. [VIDEO]

Old 08-17-2013, 04:36 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,723,132 times
If something was getting the better of my cabbage and didn't foresee it reaching its maximum growth, I would harvest it.

Good luck figuring out the culprit and please post to let us know what happens.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:45 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,209,145 times
Is the cabbage ready to eat?

If so pull it and wash it thoroughly. My dad had a vege garden and I remember a critter or two walking across the kitchen sink at meal prep times.

The ones in the ground, it's probably that moth, just get a shaker of dust at the nursery, it kills it stone dead.

If you're interested in not using chemicals, look into companion planting. You can keep the bugs away by what you plant nearby.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:50 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,723,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Could it be these two hungry critters?

Doggies eat cabbage in a garden. [VIDEO]
That's a funny video and the doggies are so cute unless of course they are eating your cabbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden