Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2013, 01:59 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times

Advertisements

The vendors claimed that they are fast growing, ideal for instant shade, windscreen, etc. until the more desirable trees can mature. They touted their use on restored lands like abandoned strip mine sites. The vendors said that they live longer than the Lombardy poplar, predicting that they'd live 50-100 years.

About 1/3 of the 1,000+ trees I personally planted 1976-84 were hybrid poplars. Yes, they were fast: 8' ft. per year in the trunk during their early years. Some varieties had a gorgeous golden fall color. Walking into a small enclosed grove even on a gloomy day, you thought you were in bright sunshine. The "Androscoggin" variety had a huge and beautiful globular shape, like the American elm of the 19th century. And you could clone a hybrid poplar by merely sticking a twig in the ground; no hormone powder required. The only caveat being that it must be kept weed free, radius of 12 inches, for the 1st growing season until the roots got established.

On the other hand, no tree lasted longer than 25 years. Many simply snapped half way, or so, up the trunk. The branches below the snap-off point remained alive and many pointed upward, higher than the trunk, Ugly, ugly, ugly. Some of them shot up multiple sprouts from the roots, and these too grew 8' a year. Hideous.

Maybe these trees are ideal for erosion contol at some reclamation site, but I'd never recommend them for residential use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 02:33 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Maybe these trees are ideal for erosion contol at some reclamation site, but I'd never recommend them for residential use.
Agreed... there are numerous plantings in my area that after fifteen or twenty years or so are declining and it is expensive to take them out and deal with the stumps to allow another planting.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Agreed... there are numerous plantings in my area that after fifteen or twenty years or so are declining and it is expensive to take them out and deal with the stumps to allow another planting.
I have to assume that you're from eastern WA where trees are relatively scarce, and people who want trees must almost in desperation plant a hybrid poplar because they grow anywhere.

On the other side of the State, high quality trees that won't even grow in my area, e.g., Douglas fir, are almost like weeds. The folks in that part of WA don't need to resort to hybrid poplars to fill their desire for trees.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:13 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,782,021 times
The real problem is that people want instant results and go looking for the trees and shrubs that grow fast. In general, anything that is fast growing will also have a short lifespan and decline just as spectacularly. People don't want to have the open spaces and the long view that goes with planning for mature trees that will take a few decades to get there. That's also the reason why you'll see so many overcrowded and too close to the home landscapes in decade old subdivisions.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:31 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I have to assume that you're from eastern WA where trees are relatively scarce, and people who want trees must almost in desperation plant a hybrid poplar because they grow anywhere.

On the other side of the State, high quality trees that won't even grow in my area, e.g., Douglas fir, are almost like weeds. The folks in that part of WA don't need to resort to hybrid poplars to fill their desire for trees.
Believe it or not we are in western Washington but people seem to want a tall narrow screen with fall color. We have many more desirable choices but the fast upright growth means many will take a short term view and continue to plant them.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Believe it or not we are in western Washington but people seem to want a tall narrow screen with fall color. We have many more desirable choices but the fast upright growth means many will take a short term view and continue to plant them.
That's really surprising. In laws are from Enumclaw and evergreen seedlings were popping-up all over their property while they referred to them as "damn weeds." I was meanwhile salivating at thought of Western red cedar or Doug fir growing here on my patch in the Mid-Atlantic. No chance.

At the same time I was turning green with envy over their "damn weeds," they expressed the desire to see our Eastern hardwoods turning their autumn color.

I guess the grass -- er the trees -- are always greener elsewhere. One person's weeds are another person's bouquets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden