U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 02:43 PM

5,730 posts, read 9,732,794 times

Advertisements

I am in the midst of construction, but since is is my first time having the opportunity to have a garden...

I did a couple 'bag gardens" of lettuces, cukes, and herbs.

It is likely I will get called away for work for a month or longer (I work hurricanes/ floods)

But I'm looking for recommendations as to what I should plant for a small fall garden.

-by next year I should have a couple raised beds. I don't want to be an avid Gardner, but I believe it's responsible, and more inexpensive to try to grow your own and eat locally.

And as its a long way to town...

Thank you for the recommendations.

I intend to try kale, but don't even know what else is an option.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 03:36 PM

6,470 posts, read 15,751,203 times
You just reminded me, I need to plant...bok choi!

It matures really fast, so you may want to stagger plantings a week or two weeks apart or something. I tried "toy choi" this Spring. YUMMY.

Other ideas are loose leaf lettuce and maybe peas...but for peas you have to plant a LOT of them to get anything worth eating, IMO. Plus they'll need something to climb on. The upside is they fix nitrogen in the soil for other crops.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:52 PM

8,743 posts, read 11,901,772 times
We have a cool & wet summer this year. Although it is only August but it feels like in late September. I pulled my tomatoes & cucuumber but the green bell pepper & Japanese eggplant are still going strong. This summer I planted sweet basil in my raised beds in lieu of pots & OMG can they grow!!! They're about 4 feet tall & 2 feet wide each & bloom like crazy!! I need to find new use for basil

I am ready for a fall vegetable planting but the local nurseries do not have the little plants ready yet. Some I may need to start in seeds anyway like carrots, red beets, & napa cabbages. One of my personal favorites is the sugar snap pea, it tastes sooooo good fresh off the vine!!! This fall I will experiment with growing brussels sprouts & butter lettuce.

If you cook with green onions, it is a great crop to have in your garden. I simply use the green onions bought from the supermarket, save the last one inch above the roots & plant them in the ground. They will continue to grow. Whenever I need some, I'll just go to my garden & cut off the top for use.

I will save the garlics & shallots after the fall harvest in late October/ November. I will harvest my japanese sweet potatoes around that time & use the space for those. Last year I planted them in November & let them stay in the ground until spring. You will get some greens in the winter but they will grow slow. still, it is nice to look out in the garden & see "life" growing in the winter. They took off like gangbusters with the spring rain producing good size garlics & shallots to harvest around May.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:51 PM

5,730 posts, read 9,732,794 times
I 'guerilla garden' planted onions and garlic around the place.

Looking forward to a few years from now when I have fruit/nut trees and bushes planted.

Or next year when my raised beds are in.

All recommendations welcome.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:48 PM

6,535 posts, read 8,325,725 times
If you don't want to be an avid gardener, and potentially leave for a month at a time, that really limits your options for edible plants (unelss you have a spouse or someone who can tend the garden while you're gone). I think getting some fruit trees established is your best bet. You don't really have to water them once they are established, and it's no big deal if you ignore them for a month here or there.

For zone 6 I'd suggest pears, plums, apples, or cherries. Make sure you're aware of the trees maximum size before you plant them. You don't want to cause yourself trouble 20 years from now.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:05 PM

6,535 posts, read 8,325,725 times
You might be able to get away with some strawberries and blueberry bushes. If you leave them untended for a month you'll definitely lose some to birds and squirrels, but they should require little upkeep once they're established.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:00 AM

3,442 posts, read 6,256,995 times
The easiest thing to grow in our zone 5/6 were green pole beans and radishes. We also had some very successful cherry tomatoes. All that was years ago when we had a very rich soil and sunny spot. Since then the maple tree got so huge it made too much shade for a veggie garden. Now I have a different spot and grow mostly perennial flowers as we have so many great farmer's mkts close by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden