Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 06:07 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,311,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Thanks. It's Kansas, so a formal look is just out of place, imo. We did make raised berms, mostly so we could give the trees and shrubs some decent soil.

See that long berm, the area with the boulders and rocks? That's a rock garden of diifferent sedums, and we had no choice but to put that there. Those rocks and boulders were already underground, buried by the builders who built the house. Our neighbors told us that's why nothing would grow there! So we had a guy with a bucket loader come and excavate it, we brought in truckloads of compost and mulch, and then we put it all back together. It was fun arranging where all the rocks would go to make it appear random. I planted it with low growers because we still wanted to see past it to the far away berm, which is populated almost completely with seeded plants, donated plants and volunteers.

HB2, yes, I love sitting on the porch watching the sun rise over that garden. I drink a lot of coffee out there.
Quite lovely and natural in this form...great eye and feel for this Tina. I may have to pull your photo up when I am out in the morning drinking my coffee.

Thanks for sharing, it really is beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 06:29 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,348,265 times
Okay, just one more, from a different angle and a different part of the garden, after a brief thunderstorm moved east today. Look at the color of the sky!! I did not fiddle with the color. I only cloned out the hideous power lines because they stood out so much against the sky. There should have been a rainbow -- that is why I was outside with the camera!
Attached Thumbnails
Late summer, early morning-after-rain.jpg  

Old 08-31-2013, 06:49 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
Ok where did I put my fairway driver, FORE!!!!!!

I cant wait for the first frost on the pumpkins.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Ok where did I put my fairway driver, FORE!!!!!!

I cant wait for the first frost on the pumpkins.

Funny, my husband has never hit a golf ball back there!

Old 08-31-2013, 07:31 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,911,453 times
Tina,
That is a gorgeous picture.
You've done a lot of work there. OMG the work!
Great job!

Old 08-31-2013, 08:04 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Thanks, NK!
We haven't had wind in a long time, come to think of it. And no, I cannot work in the heat. I couldn't when I was younger and lived in Chicago, and up there 85º was hot. Here, that's a cold spell. I get out when the sun comes up and am done once it hits 80. Kansas has hellish weather in summer. I'm probably indoors more in summer than I am in winter. The dogs can't take much of this heat either. Karma actually comes in the house willingly in this heat.

It's hot, and it's very very dry. We just had a ten minute thunderstorm that settled some dust, and I ran sprinklers through the whole storm. Now I'm waiting for the rainbow.
Climate is basically the #1 reason why I would never live somewhere as hot as Kansas ever again if I can avoid it

Old 08-31-2013, 08:06 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
Quote:
Funny, my husband has never hit a golf ball back there!

WHAT?

That place is chip shot heaven. Yes I practice divet replacement therapy.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
WHAT?

That place is chip shot heaven. Yes I practice divet replacement therapy.
I think he doesn't practice his swing in the backyard because I do all the lawn and garden maintenance, and whenever we watch golf on television together, I wince, cringe and moan when I see divets flying up into the air.

Maybe he can just place the ball over the dogs' pee spots, since I need to repair those anyway.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Climate is basically the #1 reason why I would never live somewhere as hot as Kansas ever again if I can avoid it
Well, we sure won't retire in Kansas, for weather reasons -- and other reasons.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:36 AM

6,997 posts, read 4,811,992 times
So pretty, Tina!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden