Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2013, 02:05 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

So, I have a strip of daylilies between the front fence and sidewalk. Noticed they were getting crowded and didn't bloom as much this year (orange doubles, some of the old timers here (80's/90's) say they remember the plants being at the house when they were little). Saturday was the day for dig up and divide, roughly a 40 foot strip.

But first I had to get rid of the English Ivy which had infiltrated the lilies. That went ok and I began to dig.

Since I'm a lazy guy I was sitting on the sidewalk pulling out the plants out after I loosened them with a shovel (they were matted up) and all of a sudden my right leg felt like it was on fire, spider had crawled up my pant leg and bit me. Bite site swelled up and itched the rest of the day and Sunday, even with Benadryl.

Sunday I wanted to finish up and was well on my way, digging out the last clump when, bam, I'm getting buzzed by a couple hundred wasps. Apparently I'd dug into their nest. Three stings (at least) on my left arm later I decided that was enough.

As I was cleaning up and getting ready to put away the tools one of Mrs. NBP's rose bushes jumped out and got tangled around my right arm.

At least my left knee didn't start hurting until the evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 02:08 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,621 times
Sorry about the injuries and hope you're feeling better.....but it sounds more like the daylillies spent the weekend dividing YOU up!!!!

Old 09-09-2013, 02:08 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,353,821 times
Wow, after reading that, I'm glad I put it off for another year!! Too darned hot!

I'm so sorry you suffered so many war wounds while tending to your garden. Hope everything heals quickly!

Old 09-09-2013, 02:11 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Sorry about the injuries and hope you're feeling better.....but it sounds more like the daylillies spent the weekend dividing YOU up!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Wow, after reading that, I'm glad I put it off for another year!! Too darned hot!

I'm so sorry you suffered so many war wounds while tending to your garden. Hope everything heals quickly!
Oh, I'm ok. Just wanted to give everyone a laugh. I was laughing about it. Mrs. NBP, on the other hand, who has become overprotective as she has gotten older, was not laughing.

At least I still have my hair.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:20 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Isn't gardening fun? The bumblebees don't like to be dug up either. But, that's OK because the ticks like me.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:44 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,784,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Oh, I'm ok. Just wanted to give everyone a laugh. I was laughing about it. Mrs. NBP, on the other hand, who has become overprotective as she has gotten older, was not laughing.

At least I still have my hair.
I didn't know whether to cry or laugh with you. I've been bitten and stung, gotten Lyme Disease and have lived to tell the tale but hope to never repeat the events. Hope you are recovering and Mrs. NBP can stop worrying about you.

Thanks for reminding me that I, too, need to divide the dayliles this year. It's still too hot and the last one are still blooming. I'm not looking forward to the task after that story!

Old 09-10-2013, 07:58 AM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Since I'm a lazy guy I was sitting on the sidewalk pulling out the plants out after I loosened them with a shovel (they were matted up) and all of a sudden my right leg felt like it was on fire, spider had crawled up my pant leg and bit me. Bite site swelled up and itched the rest of the day and Sunday, even with Benadryl.
You should get hazardous duty pay for that one! Hope you're better now.

We're on the Delmarva Peninsula, somewhat close to you. I divided my lilies last weekend, also and encountered lots of ants. Of course, I had to untangle and remove all of those pesky clematis vines which draw ants in my back yard.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,506 times
Gee I feel so blessed to live in Canada. I have no problems with any of that, thank you very much! I see that the Obedience plants need to be divided as there aren't many blooms on them this year either! I've bought 112 large clumps of amazing daylilies this summer and am planting away, or at least i'm dividing them up and heeling them in until I van prepare enough new beds for them all! I'm sorry your day was less than fun. But your daylilies will be quite happy next summer!

I got here by looking for a picture of daylily 'too darn hot'. Gosh, I wish I could find a picture somewhere!

Old 09-04-2014, 02:18 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
No good deed goes unpunished.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:27 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Welcome nancytoday to CD. You will find much information and generous gardeners here.
This thread is exactly a year old so I'm sure OP has healed by now.
But this is a good time to divide iris and day lilies and any other perennials. They will have time to get established before cold winter but they must be watered and pampered a bit if divided now. We are in the high 90's still here so even though it might be a good time it's still miserable outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden