Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 09:29 AM

9,693 posts, read 14,177,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Thank you all for your responses.
I have 2 acres, mostly wooded, a lot of time since I can't get a job for
some reason, and I live in rural community, out in the county, where I live
a business license is not required.
I don't want people coming to my home, so I would sell at a Farmers market
or flea market, or where ever I can.
The street that I live on is fairly busy, a lot of traffic at rush hour, if I want
to throw something out, I just stick it out at the street, and it's gone within 30 minutes.
Mabey the internet, I don't know, I love growing plants, I wouldn't grow a patented
item except from seed.
I don't have a greenhouse yet, but that isn't out of the question either, it really doesnt
get too cold for too long where I live, so I could do a small greenhouse with a heater at
night. Our Spring starts in Feb.
There is no STATE tax on anything that you grow yourself, which is good.
I found this out visiting a smaller retail nursery nearby, they grow a lot themselves.
It would be just me, so I couldn't get big. It wouldn't be big enough to have to hire
anyone to help me.
All you all have given me some great ideas, I read an article that said don't grow what
you like, grow what sells. So you all helped a lot.
The water isn't a bad price here, we are on public water tho, with septic.
Butterfly - you sound like you live where I live
We have small government here, and no sales tax on anything. Many of us sell plants at local farm markets, and it's not a big deal at all. The Amish sell their baked goods from the end of their farm lanes, creamery butter, buttermilk, chickens and all with no hassle. They also bring their baked goods to our farm markets to sell and deliver them to our door by way of Amish buggies. We are fortunate we don't have all that red tape and lead simple lives. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 01:22 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,883,830 times
I agree with an earlier poster who said to get exotic. I could get Iris rhizomes or Gladiolus or Daylily corms for free with a little asking on a gardenweb forum. Anyone seriously into growing things needs to be on Gardenweb.com. I've seen all kinds of things at farmers markets but the only things i would spend money on are some of the Asian Lillies. Hint. After that: Anthurium, Bromeliads, Staghorn Ferns. I think someone said that this is not a hobby where you can dabble if you expect to make a profit. There are too many commercial operations out there doing it on a fairly grand scale for a small hobbyist to make much money. That would be alright except it takes a fair amount of money just to get rootstocks and etc. When I was seriously into exotics I bought a number of things form The Glasshouse Works. I suspect that they didn't have much of a stock. When someone ordered something that is when they grew it up from a seedling. It might be instructive to look at the websites of growers offering tropicals and exotics. The Iris etc. are just too common and people give them away. Cooley's and Schreiners' Iris collections are massive. You cannot compete. I say that kindly.

H

Old 09-19-2013, 10:03 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,904,523 times
I buy herb plants at plant sales as well as fruit trees. Not so much flowers, but that's just me.

If it were my business, I'd start small with a couple dozen different plants and then plant/propagate more of what sells the most.

It's also good to have a few inexpensive plants to get folks into a buying mood. If they pick up a small plant, then they are more likely to decide to get the more expensive one, too.

It's also good to get different varieties than most folks have. I can always be tempted by a variety of an old standard that I don't have.

Hmm, how about:
Rhubarb
horseradish
blackberry bushes
big sunflowers
heirloom vegetable starts
gooseberry
blackberry
etc.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:16 PM

32,528 posts, read 47,585,883 times
If you only want a few dollars, try selling tomato starts in the spring, but do something a little different. Sell pony packs with 6 different heritage seedlings. Gardeners like something different but not many have room for 6 tomato plants of the same variety.

I buy bench graft apples of rare varieties. The places that sell them sell out really early and I have to place my order by the end of the previous summer or I lose out. So, I am going to guess that is a good area to try to make some money selling plants. (if you live in an area where it is cold enough to grow apple trees.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden