Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2013, 08:14 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,351,434 times

Advertisements

We lived in the country before moving to this retirement community. There, Wife had a great garden and loved to raise unusual/exotic vegies. Here, there is no space for that but she would not give up her hobby. We have a ground-level patio so she prepped a boundary around it, and also set tomatoes in large pots on the patio. The tomatoes grew to about five feet tall and were very productive. In fact, she has provided vegies to all the neighbors all summer. The photo shows her five varieties of tomatoes, all of which have the taste and texture of "traditional" tomatoes, but some are a little more firm than others, but all tomatoes.
Attached Thumbnails
Tomato garden-img_0355.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 05:03 PM

Here's an interesting twist to the above Post. Wife also takes care of Daughter's flower garden and a few weeks ago noticed a volunteer tomato plant growing on one of the flower beds. Of course she brought it home, set it in one of her large pots, added it to her existing tomato garden, and it also grew to about five feet tall and Attached is the results.

In the past I have told her that she can set a dead stick in the ground and it will live, prosper, and have fruit
Attached Thumbnails
Tomato garden-img_0387.jpg   Tomato garden-img_0391.jpg  

Old 10-05-2013, 05:43 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,202,152 times
It's wonderful that tomatoes grow so nicely in tubs. Growing your own veggies is so satisfying.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:39 PM

11,036 posts, read 17,422,899 times
Slim, a long time ago we had some neighbors see something red in the middle of a big tree in their front yard. they were elderly so they got a friend to climb a ladder to see what it was. There was a cherry tomato plant growing in a rotted spot in a fork in the tree, loaded with cherry tomatoes! All they could figure is a bird had eaten some seeds from what was left of a cherry tomato and, "the rest is history!" lol

Old 10-05-2013, 08:42 PM

11,036 posts, read 17,422,899 times
My mother had a friend who said she grew "salad pots". In the washtub she had 2 tomato plants growing, she also planted onions around the edge. In the other tub she planted lettuce, carrots, and radishes. Kept a garden like that for quite a few years.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:18 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,742,897 times
ArkansasSlim nice tomatoes! Some people just have a good feel for growing things and intuitively understand how to make things live. Your wife obviously has some serious talent.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:37 PM

452 posts, read 707,083 times
I love tomatoes! I just had to move 3 today for better sun.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:16 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,447,185 times
I have a few in pots. cannot put in ground here. but the 5 gallon buckets I use are pretty good so far. had a few tomatoes, but there were perfect holed in them. I had no idea what got into them. the holes looked like small drill holes. some kind of bug did that. not sure what. but I have some new ones growing.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:55 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,193,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Slim, a long time ago we had some neighbors see something red in the middle of a big tree in their front yard. they were elderly so they got a friend to climb a ladder to see what it was. There was a cherry tomato plant growing in a rotted spot in a fork in the tree, loaded with cherry tomatoes! All they could figure is a bird had eaten some seeds from what was left of a cherry tomato and, "the rest is history!" lol
That is an awesome story!

Old 10-15-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
I have a few in pots. cannot put in ground here. but the 5 gallon buckets I use are pretty good so far. had a few tomatoes, but there were perfect holed in them. I had no idea what got into them. the holes looked like small drill holes. some kind of bug did that. not sure what. but I have some new ones growing.
If you will open the tomato you will find a fat worm happily eating away . It makes a moth but I don't remember which one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden