Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 10:22 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times

Advertisements

That is what I'm talking about. when lots are 50x100 or so... basically multiple people within earshot are blowing their leaves every day from october through november in certain areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 10:31 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Occasional is a bit annoying but understandable. A neighbor who runs his leaf blower for 5-6 hours on a Saturday is irritating, or having the whole neighborhood buzzing. The street I live on has tiny lawns. Yet one neighborhood leaf blows his 100 square foot patch in the front back and forth for half an hour to make sure every leaf is gone. How much worse would a rake be for something that small. It's when people use a leaf blower to get every single leaf off that it takes much more time.
So one single neighbor is doing this for 5-6 hours? Does he stop and have to refuel over and over? Now I see your irritation.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:49 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei;32495229[B
]Occasional is a bit annoying but understandable. A neighbor who runs his leaf blower for 5-6 hours on a Saturday is irritating[/b], or having the whole neighborhood buzzing. The street I live on has tiny lawns. Yet one neighborhood leaf blows his 100 square foot patch in the front back and forth for half an hour to make sure every leaf is gone. How much worse would a rake be for something that small. It's when people use a leaf blower to get every single leaf off that it takes much more time.
Has he a lawn the size of a football stadium?

Old 12-06-2013, 11:36 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times
If someone is running their leafblower for 5-6 hours that means only one thing, they need a bigger leafblower.

I have a wheeled leafblower along with a backpack blower. I use the wheeled unit to do the bulk of the work for two reasons. First, it gets more done in a shorter period of time. Second, since it has a four-stroke engine it is much quieter.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:42 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
If someone is running their leafblower for 5-6 hours that means only one thing, they need a bigger leafblower.

I have a wheeled leafblower along with a backpack blower. I use the wheeled unit to do the bulk of the work for two reasons. First, it gets more done in a shorter period of time. Second, since it has a four-stroke engine it is much quieter.
Indeed....it means they need a bigger brain.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:14 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
If you live where the snow is light and fluffy, there is another use for a leaf blower.

As I am in my 80s I can no longer shovel my walks and drive.

Solution I found a few years ago: Get out the trusty leaf blower, and blow it away. It takes so much physical effort to shovel, but the leaf blower clears it quickly with almost no effort, and the speed difference is amazing.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:36 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
If you live where the snow is light and fluffy, there is another use for a leaf blower.

As I am in my 80s I can no longer shovel my walks and drive.

Solution I found a few years ago: Get out the trusty leaf blower, and blow it away. It takes so much physical effort to shovel, but the leaf blower clears it quickly with almost no effort, and the speed difference is amazing.
They don't work on heavy, wet, snow. Or, at least, the homeowner grade blowers don't work on those heavy snows. But, yes, I love the blowers on light, dusty snows. They are great at clearing off our deck I don't have to worry about damaging the stain or wood.

I also like them for both clearing snow off our vehicles and even dusting out the inside (not the gas models on the inside because of the fumes). Sometimes I will clear the snow off our shrubbery - they take the weight off so it doesn't damage the shrub.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:54 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,630,500 times
Yeah, I've always hated them. What's wrong with rakes? Oh, I know, fat, lazy Americans don't like those anymore. Let's all hire a crew of landscapers to come and blow every leaf and blade of grass out of our yards every week. And while we're at it, all of you business owners be sure to hire some clown to stand on the curb blowing dust out of your parking lot at passing cars.

Wife and I must be one of those exceptions. We RAKED our leaves up this year and every year before. Never owned a leaf blower. Wife hates the noise they make anyway. We'd rather rake. Frugal New Englanders we are.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:10 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,225,333 times
It has nothing to do with being LAZY. Leaf blowers save time and money especially on commercial properties. We have our
fair share of leaves in the NE and it's a PIA to clean up, but the blowers r the most efficient way to deal with em..

And if you don't like the noise, buy an Electric blower as it's sufficient for residential properties or keep raking..

And anyone with a 50x100 lot should be able to clear the leaves within an hour or 2..

My lot is exactly that size and had it done in 1 hour..

The sound and the smell, please get a grip..What smell?? The only smell i get is when putting the gas in the engine! What's
next, banning lawnmowers!!

Old 12-06-2013, 05:26 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
They don't work on heavy, wet, snow. Or, at least, the homeowner grade blowers don't work on those heavy snows. But, yes, I love the blowers on light, dusty snows. They are great at clearing off our deck I don't have to worry about damaging the stain or wood.

I also like them for both clearing snow off our vehicles and even dusting out the inside (not the gas models on the inside because of the fumes). Sometimes I will clear the snow off our shrubbery - they take the weight off so it doesn't damage the shrub.
Just how did nature survive without leaf blowers to blow of snow from shrubs? The only thing funnier was the dusting.

This thread could be called the lazy thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden