Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 10:57 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I have always worked other shifts. Nobody is considerate of people that work night shifts - even our closest relatives. I have worn ear plugs to sleep - but usually just turn on the TV for background noise.

At least my leaf blowers get the job done quick and I can move on to the other aspects of cleaning a yard.

I still think that people should think twice about having neighbors with uncared for lawns. Lyme disease can case lifetime disabilities. Also; leaf and lawn debris can fuel fire.

When it comes to zoning regulations - we have too much crime and not enough police to enforce all the new regulations. I just think that it makes laws meaningless unless we enforce these laws - so; why make the law in the first place?
Ridiculous.

Now you're going to attempt to use lyme disease as a tool to convince others that you can't pick up a rake? You just dug yourself in deeper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 12:14 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Not to mention the gasoline smell that drifts all over the neighborhood.
The absolute worst.

I hate leaf blowers.

Don't own one, never will.
And I will not employ anyone who uses one on my yard.
Will.not.do.it.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:30 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I wonder how many of you people who are so sensitive to the sound of leaf blowers have dogs who bark a lot. At least a leaf blower isn't operated 24/7 and 365 days a year.
Many dogs are barking during that time though.
You can't use an example of one thing that shouldn't be done to make ok something else that shouldn't be done.

Dog owners should not leave their dogs alone to bark. Dogs are pack animals, and when alone will bark out of boredom and fear. Dog owners who leave their dogs alone to bark are bad neighbors.

Tree owners should not use leaf blowers to clean out their leaves. Leaf blowers have a decibel level of 90 or higher; according to OSHA significant hearing damage can occur at over 85 decibels. Tree owners who use leaf blowers are bad neighbors.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:44 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,913,566 times
Can someone please tell me what the idea of a leaf blower is?
I'm not being stupid, I am serious.
You turn it on and what? You blow leaves? Where? You make piles
of leaves out of it? To do what? You pick up the piles and do what?
You put them in bags? You make the trash company come and pick them up?
You throw them in a nice big pile in your yard and compost them? That's what you
should be doing with them.
People in town around here blow the leaves into the main street everyone is driving on.
Why? IDK.
IF YOU DON"T USE ONE, you can just mulch mow the leaves right into your lawn.
You all know this right? You get your lawn mower, take the bag off, put it on mulch
setting, and SIMPLY mow the lawn, don't rake piles, at least 2 times a week til the
leaves are are gone mulched into your lawn.
You will have the most beautiful lawn in the neighborhood next year.
Leaves are better for your lawn than composted cow manure.
It's a little mowing for a whole lot of benefit.
SO ditch the leaf blower, and get out the mower. Try it for just one year.
You will do it every year, I guarantee it.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:09 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my name is mud. View Post
Mulch? Ever heard of it? You mow your lawn full of leaves and it nourishes it. I guess God isn't clueless after all...
So trade the leave blower for the equally noisy mulching lawn mower. Now there's an idea.

(there are electric lawn blowers just as there are electric lawn mowers neither of which are as noisy.)

Old 09-27-2013, 01:16 PM

229 posts, read 346,806 times
Of course the people who hate leaf blowers so much never do anything to irritate others.

As others have noted, they are a useful tool and can sweep a yard in 15 minutes compared to an hour of raking. I love the sound of a leaf blower in the morning...sounds like...victory!

Old 09-27-2013, 01:18 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Depending on the make up of one's property, leaves are known to land on non-mulchable areas and since it is difficult to mulch asphalt or concrete those leaves need to go somewhere (floating into storm drains isn't the best idea). But if you want to mulch those errant leaves that don't fall on your lawn, a leaf blower can come in handy. I might add that many leave blowers come with an attachment for vacuuming up those leaves which then go into an attached bag. If you have one of that sort, you can take the bag and spread the mulched leaves (the blower does the mulching) and spread it where the concrete don't shine or you can just leave off the bag and mulch in place.

Lawn services blow leaves and grass to make there final product looking neat and tidy which is what most home owners like and pay for.

Signed, former owner of a corner lot who despised every fall and who now lives in a treeless row house with no lawn.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:48 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Ridiculous.

Now you're going to attempt to use lyme disease as a tool to convince others that you can't pick up a rake? You just dug yourself in deeper.
I have five acres that I take care of. I do not have time to rake every last leaf. I mow most of them or collect them in either a tow behind leaf bagger or leaf bagger attachment. But I have a good tri-axel worth of leaves ever fall. If you want to come and rake all of my leaves - your welcome!

I do have an next door neighbor that has only one acre and uses his leaf blower for hours on end. I just turn on my TV if I have to sleep - big deal!

You cannot paint a canvas for all of us. Some of us have dozens of mature trees and some have one.

As far as scaring people into using blowers: Tick-Borne Diseases Intensify, Pose Significant Public Health Threat - WLNS TV 6 Lansing - Jackson | Your Local News Leader. From that article: "Keep grass mowed, weeds pulled and leaf litter managed. Trim tree branches and shrubs around the lawn edge to allow more sunlight penetration." If you live in one of the "red" zones; you want to keep your backyard in good shape - especially if you want to use it.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:54 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I have always worked other shifts. Nobody is considerate of people that work night shifts - even our closest relatives. I have worn ear plugs to sleep - but usually just turn on the TV for background noise.
At least my leaf blowers get the job done quick and I can move on to the other aspects of cleaning a yard.

I still think that people should think twice about having neighbors with uncared for lawns. Lyme disease can case lifetime disabilities. Also; leaf and lawn debris can fuel fire.
When it comes to zoning regulations - we have too much crime and not enough police to enforce all the new regulations. I just think that it makes laws meaningless unless we enforce these laws - so; why make the law in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Ridiculous.
He's right, read the link/
Krames Online - Preventing Lyme Disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
I'm not being stupid, I am serious.
You turn it on and what? You blow leaves? Where? You make piles
of leaves out of it? To do what? You pick up the piles and do what?
You put them in bags? You make the trash company come and pick them up?
You throw them in a nice big pile in your yard and compost them? That's what you
should be doing with them.
People in town around here blow the leaves into the main street everyone is driving on.
Why? IDK.
IF YOU DON"T USE ONE, you can just mulch mow the leaves right into your lawn.
You all know this right? You get your lawn mower, take the bag off, put it on mulch
setting, and SIMPLY mow the lawn, don't rake piles, at least 2 times a week til the
leaves are are gone mulched into your lawn.
You will have the most beautiful lawn in the neighborhood next year.
Leaves are better for your lawn than composted cow manure.
It's a little mowing for a whole lot of benefit.
SO ditch the leaf blower, and get out the mower. Try it for just one year.
You will do it every year, I guarantee it.
Maybe the city/town picks it up and uses it as mulch? Better than putting it in a landfill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
So trade the leave blower for the equally noisy mulching lawn mower. Now there's an idea.
(there are electric lawn blowers just as there are electric lawn mowers neither of which are as noisy
Wow, this debate and anger is amazing....over leaves How many who despise
this new technology actually have large trees with massive leaves that they have to take care
of on a good size lot? Do you haters realize that some of those using these evil contraptions
may have disabilities or are older and have a harder time?

Old 09-27-2013, 02:26 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,138,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Leaf blowers. The most useless piece of equipment in home ownership.

I would disagree 100%. I love my blower and use it regularly. It is a very effective piece of equipment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden