Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2013, 07:52 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago, I mixed up some rose food in an empty milk jug and watered my large potted roses. When I got to the end of the mix, I noticed some undissolved food but dumped it in the pot anyway. (Big mistake) Since then, that rose has been developing brown margins on leaves and leaves have been yellowing. I'm assuming this is due to overfeeding.

Is there any way to reverse this before I lose the rose? It's one of my favorites and quite large. I'd like to avoid re-potting if I could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 11:02 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
A few weeks ago, I mixed up some rose food in an empty milk jug and watered my large potted roses. When I got to the end of the mix, I noticed some undissolved food but dumped it in the pot anyway. (Big mistake) Since then, that rose has been developing brown margins on leaves and leaves have been yellowing. I'm assuming this is due to overfeeding.

Is there any way to reverse this before I lose the rose? It's one of my favorites and quite large. I'd like to avoid re-potting if I could.
Oh no. I did this to some of my large shrubs by accident. What I did was flush with tons of water to dissolve and leach away the fertilizer. The rose may be damaged, but you might be able to keep from killing it. The brown margins on the leaves are probably due to salt burn.

The fertilizer is most probably water-soluble. In a pot, you may have to fill and let drain out and then repeat several times. Hopefully your containers drain well.

If you are gung-ho, you may want to do some sort of soil testing before you fertilize again. I'm just saying this to be responsible, I normally don't take the trouble to test soil, either.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:51 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post

If it is in a pot then it is easy. Take it out of the pot, strip away all the potting soil, flush the roots with water. Good time to trim off some roots as well. Then re-pot with new potting soil. Then cross your fingers and hope your rosses will cime through.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:15 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
If it is in a pot then it is easy. Take it out of the pot, strip away all the potting soil, flush the roots with water. Good time to trim off some roots as well. Then re-pot with new potting soil. Then cross your fingers and hope your rosses will cime through.
I think flushing the soil with lots of water would be just as effective without going to so much trouble. Depends on how big the container is.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:46 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
I'm going to try the flushing since repotting will be such a hassle....the pot is huge. How will I know if I have been successful, though? Will the yellow leaves turn green again?

Old 09-30-2013, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,940 times
Try just watering he hack out or still in the pot,hopefully it is outside so the water can just leach out. I say a good 10 min. should help. No the yellow leaves won't come back.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:14 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie Dibble View Post
Try just watering [t]he hack out or still in the pot,hopefully it is outside so the water can just leach out. I say a good 10 min. should help. No the yellow leaves won't come back.
Let's think about this logically. If the over-feeding of fertilizer stay on top of soil initially, what will over-watering do?

Let's see, first it will dissolve MORE fertilizer into the soil making it easier for the roots to absorb into the plant. Second, if you continue to water, yes it will begin to wash out some of the fertilizers but it will also leach out othe nutrients in the soil. Eventually, if you keep the water running you may eventually flush out the excess fertilizer but you've also flush out all nutrients in the soil. In the mean time what will the roots do when you flush more water with excess fertilizer by them? The function of the roots is absorption so it will absorb more excess fertilizer. Does it make sense? But by that time enough damages are done to the plant.

Do the work if you care about your plant. Don't be lazy. Take it out of the pot, separate the soil, wash the roots, then re-pot with new potting soil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden