Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:54 AM

18,931 posts, read 43,281,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

The one power tool I do think is a waste is the chipper - it sits and collects dust. The riding mowers do a better job and faster/easier.

I have a DR chipper that I paid $2400 for back when my property was overgrown with Chinese privet. I used it a lot for about two years while I was clearing that privet, but now that it's cleared I seldom use it anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 11:21 AM

18,755 posts, read 17,992,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I have a DR chipper that I paid $2400 for back when my property was overgrown with Chinese privet. I used it a lot for about two years while I was clearing that privet, but now that it's cleared I seldom use it anymore.
I have a 10 horse (I think MTD or Yardman; but it is so long since I used it I forgot) unit sitting outside under a tarp. I got tired of hitting my knees against it when in the garage. I did not pay $2400 for it - but I just don't see any practical benefits to using one. Perhaps if I spent more money I would have liked the unit better? I just found that, as long as I could mow or cut off the shrubs so I could mow; I was happy. I do have an old Gravely riding tractor that will mulch about anything I can get over.

With leaves; I just simply keep mowing them to the center. Then I run over them a few extra times and my mulch is just as good as the chipper/shredder - without getting off the tractor. I have another mower I can bag them with if I feel there are too many left over.

Even a push mower works better at shredding than the one unit I have. Leaves would get stuck in the chute - they could not be wet. Branches had to be just the right size so they would not get stuck to chip. It was just a pain in the neck. I had plenty of vines and briars when I cleared my property.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:04 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,540,710 times
Zero turn mower. One 45 minute session once a week and the acre is cut.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:33 PM

205 posts, read 271,365 times
I have 500sq ft of raised beds. My 8 inch wide tiller is great for the beds and my 5 horse shredder/chipper is the best for making compost.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:01 PM

13,034 posts, read 17,934,978 times
My hubby.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:04 PM

18,931 posts, read 43,281,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I have a 10 horse (I think MTD or Yardman; but it is so long since I used it I forgot) unit sitting outside under a tarp. I got tired of hitting my knees against it when in the garage. I did not pay $2400 for it - but I just don't see any practical benefits to using one. Perhaps if I spent more money I would have liked the unit better? I just found that, as long as I could mow or cut off the shrubs so I could mow; I was happy. I do have an old Gravely riding tractor that will mulch about anything I can get over.

With leaves; I just simply keep mowing them to the center. Then I run over them a few extra times and my mulch is just as good as the chipper/shredder - without getting off the tractor. I have another mower I can bag them with if I feel there are too many left over.
Mine isnt a shredder, just a chipper (kinda like in the movie Fargo).The stuff I was clearing was 15'-20' tall with 4" diameter stems, no way I could mow that, or bush hog it. I had to use a chainsaw, then run it through the chipper. Piling it up and burning it is faster though, when weather permits.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,605 posts, read 57,568,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
My Bobcat T870
While I like my 12,000# rubber tracked Bobcat (T350) and 9 attachments... (Articulated stump grinder is the money maker... I have ground over (60) 18" stumps / day on very steep terrain)
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ng-_-8-dia.jpg

My all time favorite power tool is my CASE crawler Trackloader (4:1 bucket a 3rd hand!). You can get really creative at grading, and can grab and lift a 50' tree (downed tree). Pulling fence posts and setting trusses it is a star. Placing rocks and transplanting trees and big bushes. Tipping up pre-fab concrete walls... I have a steep property- it is great for that. I rigged a 6' brushhog to the front loader, and can clear 5 acres of brush and small trees in a day.
I could get a backhoe attachment for it, but I also have an excavator (It is handy too, just not my favorite).
I have a set of rippers on the dozer, that makes quick work of rock removal, or 'pre-plowing' a garden spot..

I have made some great daylight basements in a few hours on the trackloader.

My friends all prefer their Excavators. They are pretty handy to have around the house, especially with 6 way bucket and blade, and a flail brushcutter and tree shear.

These are all pretty costly toys to buy and maintain... best to rent! (same with dumptruck... the insurance and license fees kill me on my 56,000# GVW dumptruck. (+ Flatbed / ramps)

Old 11-11-2014, 01:22 AM

11,048 posts, read 23,886,891 times
I miss the backhoe we had, but it's a bit large for a residential lot. We did get an electric chain saw which is fun for small lots. Plus a big ol' electric hedge trimmer which is also useful. But I still miss the backhoe, that was a lot more fun. Maybe I'll just get a couple of sheep and let them do the work instead.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:42 PM

6,598 posts, read 8,922,545 times
I'm not a big fan of power tools for gardening really. The only one I actually enjoy using is my string trimmer. I love blowing away the weeds along my fence and neatening up the edges of my lawn and garden beds.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:32 PM

24,284 posts, read 16,963,561 times
My favorite garden power tool right now is an electric leaf blower. I just plug it in and go to work. I had a gas blower but spent more time getting it to run right it is now taking up space. Soon I will be cutting up more firewood so then my favorite will be my Husquevera chainsaw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden