Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2013, 02:22 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times

Advertisements

Squirrels go nuts for the First Lady's tomatoes as the crops go unprotected now federal gardeners are furloghed

While neither Republicans or Democrats are winning in the government shutdown, there is one group that's having a field day: the White House squirrels.

The government shutdown coincided with the White House garden's harvest season, and since much of the staff that tends to the garden has been furloughed the crop has gotten out of control.

The staff that were allowed to stay are only allowed to water the plants. Triming, fetrilizing, transplanting, mowing and harvesting are all off limits.

This has been good news for the White House's wildlife, which includes a group of already troublesome squirrels.

'The bushy-tailed residents are feasting on the ripe Sungolds on the vines, as well as on other tomatoes and peppers littering the ground.....

Squirrels go nuts for the First Lady's tomatoes as they go unprotected due to shutdown | Mail Online
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 02:44 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Not that we thought she spent a second there after the cameras left....

Old 10-15-2013, 03:42 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
I think they are blaming the wrong critters - everybody knows there are more rats in DC than squirrels!

Old 10-15-2013, 04:00 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Squirrels eating White House garden during budget crisis.

Hardly surprising as they are not spending any time in Congress now.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:11 AM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Not that we thought she spent a second there after the cameras left....
Certainly no sweat on her brow.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:14 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Next they will have goats wandering the lawn to do the mowing!!!!

Old 10-16-2013, 08:46 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,284,305 times
We had a garden at our white house. I worked it and my kids helped with the weeding and harvesting. Some days my husband even picked beans in the evening after working all day. Perhaps Mischell and the girls should consider getting some fresh air and a little dirt under those well groomed nails. Think how many people could have been fed with those veggies being allowed to rot on the vine.

Lazy is as Lazy does!!

Old 10-17-2013, 01:19 AM

3,037 posts, read 5,927,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
We had a garden at our white house. I worked it and my kids helped with the weeding and harvesting. Some days my husband even picked beans in the evening after working all day. Perhaps Mischell and the girls should consider getting some fresh air and a little dirt under those well groomed nails. Think how many people could have been fed with those veggies being allowed to rot on the vine.

Lazy is as Lazy does!!
Are you suggesting she tell her own daughters "Let's move"!?

Old 10-17-2013, 06:46 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
Think how many people could have been fed with those veggies being allowed to rot on the vine.
LOL, hey that food wasn't wasted--squirrels need to eat, too.

At least squirrels are eating the food for nourishment. Think about what usually happens to the food served at political dinners. Political guests aren't usually that hungry. They eat a small portion of their dinner, barely pick at things like tomatoes, and the rest gets thrown out. In the eyes of the universe, it's probably a better use of a tomato to let the critters eat a few.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:10 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL, hey that food wasn't wasted--squirrels need to eat, too.

At least squirrels are eating the food for nourishment. Think about what usually happens to the food served at political dinners. Political guests aren't usually that hungry. They eat a small portion of their dinner, barely pick at things like tomatoes, and the rest gets thrown out. In the eyes of the universe, it's probably a better use of a tomato to let the critters eat a few.
I concur. But I also doubt the veracity of the story. Pictures or it didn't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden