Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 07:04 AM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times

Advertisements

Where's your favorite garden place, not for buying, but for touring? Ours is Longwood Gardens, in Kennett Square, PA consisting of 1,077 acres of wooded and clear land. There are garden tours (both inside and outside) classes, special exhibits, symphonies in the gardens, a shopping area, a place to dine amidst a gorgeous setting, and their calendar is always full of surprises! Local experts are there to answer any gardening questions. I'm proud to say my grandfather worked in the gardens as a young man. Here's the link:
Longwood Gardens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 07:40 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,915,303 times
rdlr,
I've been to Longwood, loved the tropical house.
Too big for me though.
We have a much smaller garden down where I live and I
love it.
Hopeland Gardens in Aiken, sc.
The Koi pond is unbelievable, natural clay.
The gardens are hundreds of years old, absolutely beautiful.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:46 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I have several. On a grand scale are the house and gardens at Biltmore Estate in Asheville, N.C.
I was a charter member of the Atlanta Botanical Gardens many many years ago. it was fun to see how they expanded the gardens and the scope. We kept annual membership for 25 years.

Now and closer to home I really like Tony Avent's Plants Delight Nursery. His is a commercial enterprise and he does a big mail order business but his gardens are beautiful and at his 2 or 3 yearly open houses it is fun just to wander around. But it is hard not to buy.

But most of all I enjoy residential garden tours sponsored by local churches or charities. I get to see what others in my community can grow and how they use native plants. My Atlanta garden was on several fund raising tours- for the 3 koi ponds we had as well as the gardens. Believe me it is a huge endeavor to prepare your garden for guests. Some snotty witch will find the one weed you didn't pull or the one plant mislabeled.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
But most of all I enjoy residential garden tours sponsored by local churches or charities. I get to see what others in my community can grow and how they use native plants. My Atlanta garden was on several fund raising tours- for the 3 koi ponds we had as well as the gardens. Believe me it is a huge endeavor to prepare your garden for guests. Some snotty witch will find the one weed you didn't pull or the one plant mislabeled.
Yes, local garden tours are also enjoyable. We have Old Dover Days here in Delaware, garden tours and colonial home tours guided by ladies in colonial attire, and sips of sweet tea along the paths winding through Spring & Summer flowers.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:38 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
My favorite public garden to tour is Sonnenberg Gardens in Canandaigua, NY. Victorian mansion and gardens. Sonnenberg

My favorite municipal garden tour is the Gardenwalk Buffalo in Buffalo, NY. 300+ private gardens, all free, over 2 days on the last weekend of July. Gardenwalk

Old 10-23-2013, 02:10 PM

22 posts, read 36,435 times
My favorite garden tour is in Wake Forest, North Carolina. It was inspired by Garden Walk Buffalo. It's called Share Your Wake Forest Garden. (Share Your Wake Forest Garden Home) There's no better way to learn about gardening than from local experts.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:14 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Buchart Gardens in British Columbia. Also, Green Animals in Newport, RI if you like whimsical topiary.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:51 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,391,969 times
Living near Washington DC, the National Arboretum is a favorite. Gardening on a simply massive scale. Dumbarton Oaks in the middle of Georgetown is very pleasant, and Meadowlark Gardens out in the suburbs near Wolf Trap Center is also a wonderful place.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenexp View Post
My favorite garden tour is in Wake Forest, North Carolina. It was inspired by Garden Walk Buffalo. It's called Share Your Wake Forest Garden. (Share Your Wake Forest Garden Home) There's no better way to learn about gardening than from local experts.
I agree with that, to the max! Lots of people have plenty of gardening suggestions, but unless they personally know your very own geographical area, quoting U.S.D.A. planting Zones is only the beginning.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:20 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Buchart Gardens in British Columbia.
That's my favorite, too. It's so beautiful.

The Polynesian gardens in Honolulu is also a favorite. I have not lived in Hawaii for years and I don't even know if the gardens are still there.

I do have to put in a plug for the Dallas Arboretum. It's gracious and beautiful all year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden