Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 02:03 PM

3 posts, read 15,613 times

Advertisements

Most of my trees were brought up from Tn and Ky while on vacations. Bought my two Edith Bouges from Allisonvile Nursery in 1999. Added a Alta yesterday from a trip to Louisville. Should they all survive I will be overrun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 07:45 AM

2 posts, read 10,557 times
My unknown cultivar (not a brown-backed variety) here in Indianapolis was >95% defoliated, with perhaps 20 leaves remaining green at the top of the plant. On May 7 I first noticed a few new buds at the branch tips, again all in the top quarter or so of the tree. Now the uppermost buds are unfurling leaves. It's going to be a very odd-looking tree, with all the foliage at the very top, but at least it has made it through likely the worst winter it will ever see.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:52 AM

3 posts, read 15,613 times
Dont prune yet mine are still forming new buds/branches.My trees Victoria- 10ft no damage or dieback received some shade during winter. Teddy Bear-9ft 4-6 inches of dieback over all but all branches are forming new growth tree is fully exposed. Brackins Brown Beauty- very small amount of dieback on south side of tree. some wind protection on this tree, expect it to fully recover by mid june has lots of flower buds. it is around 16ft. Two Edith Bouges fully exposed 20ft, small amount of die back leafing out with lots of flower buds.They have been in the ground for 15 years. Still waiting on Little gem and my 15ft DDBlanchard both are very slow coming out with 4-6in of dieback. All of my trees with the exception of Victoria and Brackins were completely defoliated by the severe winter. Waiting it out is hard but don't break out the chainsaw yet. I did fertilize heavily and am giving some extra water.No deaths so far

Old 05-28-2014, 09:31 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indybryan View Post
Dont prune yet mine are still forming new buds/branches.My trees Victoria- 10ft no damage or dieback received some shade during winter. Teddy Bear-9ft 4-6 inches of dieback over all but all branches are forming new growth tree is fully exposed. Brackins Brown Beauty- very small amount of dieback on south side of tree. some wind protection on this tree, expect it to fully recover by mid june has lots of flower buds. it is around 16ft. Two Edith Bouges fully exposed 20ft, small amount of die back leafing out with lots of flower buds.They have been in the ground for 15 years. Still waiting on Little gem and my 15ft DDBlanchard both are very slow coming out with 4-6in of dieback. All of my trees with the exception of Victoria and Brackins were completely defoliated by the severe winter. Waiting it out is hard but don't break out the chainsaw yet. I did fertilize heavily and am giving some extra water.No deaths so far
I'll have to check the ONE Magnolia I know of here in Denver and see if it's getting leaves. This is the first winter I noticed it being damaged by cold.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:53 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,216 times
I've heard of that Southern Magnolia in the Denver area. Quite a rarity! Let us know if it's still alive.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I've heard of that Southern Magnolia in the Denver area. Quite a rarity! Let us know if it's still alive.
I actually know of two. One is in someone's front yard at the corner of Alameda and Niagara. It's an actual tree that's been there for at least 8 years and might be about 12 to 15 feet tall now. The other is more like 5 feet tall, against a house on the corner of 27th and York - both in Denver.

Here you can see one of them on googlemaps:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=denve...252.31,,1,6.18

I'd like to see this one in Lakewood, whic looks like a very nice specimen:

Southern magnolia! A tree grows in Lakewood...

Old 05-30-2014, 06:00 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
I have a 60 footer (too close to the front of my home for comfort) in flower right now, with 5" flowers. It's a magnificent tree, but it sure is high maintenance. I'm in No. VA, so I am certain you will find many more further north.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:10 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
There are two in my neighborhood---northern suburb of Pittsburgh, PA.

I'm most impressed by the poster who says they are in Windsor. Ontario, Canada.

I believe that is the one that meets the most northern posted in this thread.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:13 AM

I just noticed yesterday that someone in my neighborhood planted a small southern Magnolia in their front yard. Maybe 4' high. I'm wondering where they bought it, and if they know it could be difficult to grow here, if not a very hardy variety.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:44 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,227,638 times
The ones here look terrible, mostly bare! I need to get a closer look to see if there are buds growing. I just walked by some big, older mimosas trees here today, and they also looked dead, but when i looked closer, i could see new shoots throughout the tree.

I know that there are Southern Mags growing in Niagara, which is further north than us, but also a 6b location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There are two in my neighborhood---northern suburb of Pittsburgh, PA.

I'm most impressed by the poster who says they are in Windsor. Ontario, Canada.

I believe that is the one that meets the most northern posted in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden