Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 11:15 AM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
There is a small town in NE Ohio called "Magnolia" Ohio. Lots of magnolias grow along the streets in that town. Ohio is about as far north as you can get before landing in Canada.
Sort of.... but Magnolia OH is quite a bit south of Cleveland (which IS closer to Canada). It is quite the beautiful town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 08:55 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,697,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
My daughter had a very big SOuthern magnolia tree (at least 20 ft), growing
in Warminster, PA. Zone 6. No protection right next to a very busy highway.
It was beautiful, don't know what kind it was, but definately southern. Evergreen.
I see a HUGE one every day in Doylestown, PA. Zone 6, very near zone 7. There are 2 others in the area. Didn't they come out with a hardier variety of the species some years ago? IIRC, I saw it in the Burpee catalog a LOOOONG time ago.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:47 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
So I checked out the one Magnolia that's an actual tree here in Denver that I know of. I hadn't seen it since early Arpil when it was obvious that it suffered damage from the two unusually long and cold arctic air events last winter.

This particular tree has survived and had blooms on it. I could also see that new leaves were continuing to grow and it looked like the tree overall has about half the amount of leaves that it should. But it didn't appear to have any dead branches and since there were blooms on it, it looks like it survived

Old 07-21-2014, 12:06 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,604,049 times
That's good news! I have a gardening friend (who has considerable knowledge) and she claims there are many magnolias in Denver. I think she's referring to the Star magnolia (magnolia stellata) as opposed to the Southern magnolia (magnolia grandiflora) but I haven't been able to convince her of the difference.

I checked on the Mimosa in my part of town. It survived the winter but lots of dead branches that have not been pruned. I'm afraid one of these days the homeowner will chop it down.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
That's good news! I have a gardening friend (who has considerable knowledge) and she claims there are many magnolias in Denver. I think she's referring to the Star magnolia (magnolia stellata) as opposed to the Southern magnolia (magnolia grandiflora) but I haven't been able to convince her of the difference.

I checked on the Mimosa in my part of town. It survived the winter but lots of dead branches that have not been pruned. I'm afraid one of these days the homeowner will chop it down.
I've heard there are Southern Magnolias around Denver. I personally know of three, and only one really qualifies as being a tree. But I'm sure there are protected areas in the city where they would grow well between buildings, etc. That's where you find many of them in Kansas City.

And I think I already posted the link to one in Lakewood that's truly a large tree in a courtyard at a school. But the link doesn't say exactly where it's located.

There's a large Mimosa at the Denver Botanic Gardens right on the south side of the big conservatory. It probably gets some warmth from that, plus on the south side. I haven't been yet this year.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:21 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,367,511 times
I don't know jack about magnolia trees, other than that they're known as a southern/temperate species. I thought this was some sort of apple tree,
but my aunt (to whom I sent the photo and also scanned in & sent her image of one of the blossoms) insists this is a magnolia tree.
She was astounded that such a tree could make it in this climate (New England/Vermont)-but, as I said, I've no clue which type of magnolia this might be.

Here's the scanned-in image of the flower & fruit (dried berries) from that^ tree:

Old 08-06-2014, 12:11 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,212,763 times
Well the Two Southern Magnolias on the North Side of Indianapolis that I have been keeping track of since this past winter at the last visit of the specimens right the very end of July, first day or two of August appeared to have maxed out on flowering/blooming on those white lemon scented blossoms(I say this because one tree has lots of Magnolia fruits on it), and both trees still appear to be getting new leaves/recovering from this past winter; as of last check, each tree appeared to have maybe 1/2 of the leaf coverage that they had before this past winter's severe arctic cold spells along with that record breaking snowfall; so I can now rest assured that the Bracken's Brown Beauty(I believe that is what cultivar this eatery has associated with it) will survive a temperature of around -15 Degrees Fahrenheit(with major bronzing and defoliation of course), but to each its own, although the trees aren't particularly full canopied right now and they probably won't get much fuller in leaf coverage before the growing season ends, and as mentioned in earlier posts both trees have only been in the ground for a few years and are both largely exposed to winter wind and winter sun; with that being said I don't know whether the record breaking snowfall Indianapolis saw last winter played a role in insulating their roots or not, but the trees, other than mulching around the root system are otherwise at the mercy at whatever nature has to throw at it, meaning they are not in a wind or sun protected location for winter. I know of three Other Bracken's Brown Beauty Magnolias that I would like to check out soon and they are located in a winter wind and sun protected location near a large building, that being the Indianapolis Museum of Art, and these trees are older and are also mulched well.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Well the Two Southern Magnolias on the North Side of Indianapolis that I have been keeping track of since this past winter at the last visit of the specimens right the very end of July, first day or two of August appeared to have maxed out on flowering/blooming on those white lemon scented blossoms(I say this because one tree has lots of Magnolia fruits on it), and both trees still appear to be getting new leaves/recovering from this past winter; as of last check, each tree appeared to have maybe 1/2 of the leaf coverage that they had before this past winter's severe arctic cold spells along with that record breaking snowfall; so I can now rest assured that the Bracken's Brown Beauty(I believe that is what cultivar this eatery has associated with it) will survive a temperature of around -15 Degrees Fahrenheit(with major bronzing and defoliation of course), but to each its own, although the trees aren't particularly full canopied right now and they probably won't get much fuller in leaf coverage before the growing season ends, and as mentioned in earlier posts both trees have only been in the ground for a few years and are both largely exposed to winter wind and winter sun; with that being said I don't know whether the record breaking snowfall Indianapolis saw last winter played a role in insulating their roots or not, but the trees, other than mulching around the root system are otherwise at the mercy at whatever nature has to throw at it, meaning they are not in a wind or sun protected location for winter. I know of three Other Bracken's Brown Beauty Magnolias that I would like to check out soon and they are located in a winter wind and sun protected location near a large building, that being the Indianapolis Museum of Art, and these trees are older and are also mulched well.
Sounds about like the one I see here in Denver. And this one isn't protected at all, and we had little to no snow on the ground for added insulation during the two cold spells. It probably has another 6-8 weeks for growth, but I'm guessing it'll take another summer to get it back to a "full canopy" of leaves. Hopefully this winter stays above zero, or at least not too far below. In Denver, we typically have one or two "arctic fronts" move through each winter, but they usually only last for a day or two and don't get much below zero.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:12 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,855,773 times
Supposedly, there are a few here in the Cleveland area, but I have yet to see one in person.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:19 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,212,763 times
Default Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Sounds about like the one I see here in Denver. And this one isn't protected at all, and we had little to no snow on the ground for added insulation during the two cold spells. It probably has another 6-8 weeks for growth, but I'm guessing it'll take another summer to get it back to a "full canopy" of leaves. Hopefully this winter stays above zero, or at least not too far below. In Denver, we typically have one or two "arctic fronts" move through each winter, but they usually only last for a day or two and don't get much below zero.
I suppose all that heavy snow must have not had an insulating effect, either that or this past winter was more severe than it was in the Denver areaany who, I know of perhaps a few tiny practically seedling magnolia trees that died during the past winter in Indianapolis, meaning they were dug up for dying off completely, you seem to be right on the money on the larger and older, the hardier they become because I know of a large Edith Bogue that got through this past winter with perhaps roughly 60 percent leaf burn and leaf drop- a lot less than the two still relatively young Bracken's Brown Beauties mentioned near a local restaurant that I have been keeping track of since April 2011.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden