Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 06:30 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,778 times

Advertisements

Per Plant Maps - Plant, Tree ,Gardening ,Climate and Hardiness Zone Maps, I'm in zone 6b (-5°F to 0°F), I'm looking for suggestion for lesser known fruit tree variants. I am thinking may be a mulberry tree.

Just looking for ideas. I known much of it depends on personal taste, but I am open to considering suggestions.

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 11:47 PM

95 posts, read 171,030 times
Mulberry is pretty good. We had several of them. They grow fast and the fruit can be messy. If you keep it trimmed down, the fruit is easier to pick and will the fruit will be bigger. They can get huge and that is when the fruit tends to be small. Mulberry pie, smoothies, and jam were all good.

In zone 7a they did well even in the -15°F winters. I figured they would die in that weather, but they made it through 3 winters like that.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:40 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,895 times
In 7b I've grown Paw Paw or the so called Michigan banana. It has an interesting fruit, they're not great at attracting pollinators so I've strung some old chicken bones up there to attract flies as pollinators.

The fruit flesh is like custard with a slightly spicy flavor.. They bruise easily and don't have a long shelf life hence why they're not in the stores much.

Asimina triloba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think that when you actually attempt to grow many of these lesser known fruits, you see first hand why they're not cultivated commercially on a more widespread basis... (i.e. poor shelf life, taste, susceptibility to disease and pests.. )

The paw paw grows well though..

Old 11-12-2013, 02:22 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
How about the "world's ugliest apple"? Knobbed Russet, is also supposed to be one of the very best tasting apples in the world.

Although I can't tell you from my own experience because mine is not yet big enough to bear fruit. From looking at photos, it is indeed an ugly one.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:14 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
In 7b I've grown Paw Paw or the so called Michigan banana. It has an interesting fruit, they're not great at attracting pollinators so I've strung some old chicken bones up there to attract flies as pollinators.

The fruit flesh is like custard with a slightly spicy flavor.. They bruise easily and don't have a long shelf life hence why they're not in the stores much.

I think that when you actually attempt to grow many of these lesser known fruits, you see first hand why they're not cultivated commercially on a more widespread basis... (i.e. poor shelf life, taste, susceptibility to disease and pests.. )

I much prefer the term Indiana banana, since:

A. It rhymes
B. they're a lot more common/prevalent in Indiana than Michigan
C. I'm from there

Paw paws are one of the best tasting fruits in the world though, IMO.

Others to consider:

Persimmon- Mostly American varieties. You can probably get away with an American/Asian hybrid like Rosseyenka which is 75% American 25% Asian. The 50%/50% hybrids might be pushing it a little, but if you protect them the first few years they might be able to survive. Probably too cold for pure Asian varieties, though there might be a few that could make it.
Mulberry- Illinois Everbearing mulberry is a good variety
Quince
Jujube
Asian pear
Medler
Chicago hardy fig

Bushes/shrubs/vines:

gooseberries
currants
jostaberries (gooseberry/currant cross)
saskatoonberries
lingonberries
hardy kiwi
salmonberries
cape gooseberries
huckleberries
elderberries
wolfberries (goji)

Old 11-12-2013, 04:33 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Watch out for Goji berry. I had one that was still in a plastic planter and I left it out at the front flower bed for a couple of weeks because we went away for vacation and it would get the sprinkler water there. I came back 2 weeks later and I could not lift the planter off the ground! It's roots had grown through the drain holes of planter & went deep in the ground! That thing grew like an exploding vine/bush that summer. I had to chop it down because it was very unsightly. The roots even went under the concrete foundation! I consider it very invasive.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post

Great idea.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
How about the "world's ugliest apple"? Knobbed Russet, is also supposed to be one of the very best tasting apples in the world.

Although I can't tell you from my own experience because mine is not yet big enough to bear fruit. From looking at photos, it is indeed an ugly one.
very ugly, funny.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:51 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
How about:
Medlar
Quince
Bush cherry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden