Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2013, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,510 times

Advertisements

I have access to fresh cow manure. I'm considering this month putting several garbage cans full of it in with my compost which otherwise, is mostly leaves. I'll leave it until march or April depending on the weather and then work it into my vegetable garden. Does that sound like a good idea? Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 10:08 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
I wouldn't recommed it because of the pathogens. It is very hard for a home gardener to get the mulch pile up to the temperature hot enough and long enough needed to kill most of the pathogens found in cow manure. I'd stick with chicken or horse manure and you still need to get the pile steaming hot. Plus horse and chicken manure has more nitrogen.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,510 times
Thanks, that is exactly what I needed to know. Especially because I probably can get horse manure instead.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:53 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,805,141 times
Try to add more ingredients to your compost as well such as slow release natural fertilizers, non animal product food scraps, dead plants, and even other compost mixes or dirt. Anything to diversify your nutrients and composition.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:15 PM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
There's a very good book on this manure topic, which I've read over and over. Having been raised with the Amish, I learned and lived their life for 7-8 years of my childhood.
"What the Amish Can Teach Us About the Simple Life"

I did the book learning, the research, and the classes on gardening. But when I really want a realistic answer, I visit my Amish neighbors for a chat.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:12 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvona View Post
I have access to fresh cow manure. I'm considering this month putting several garbage cans full of it in with my compost which otherwise, is mostly leaves. I'll leave it until march or April depending on the weather and then work it into my vegetable garden. Does that sound like a good idea? Anyone?
Yes, that is a great idea.

Using garbage cans also allows for easy turning. Simply lay one on it's side and roll it around a bit every month.

I commonly use mixtures of cow, horse, goat, rabbit, pig and poultry manures into our composting.

The nitrogen of the manure counters the carbon of the leaves, they will work together very well.

There are dozens of books on the subject.

I am an organic farmer.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:40 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
it's good to add a percentage of horse manure to the cow manure.

I'm not sure of the mechanics of that, but our local organic compost supplier pays for the horse manure which he adds to all the free (take it away, please) cow feed lots supply to him. There's something about the enzymes/chemical reaction that is beneficial.

Composting on a small scale in garbage cans is very effective. Better still, do it in dark colored plastic ones which gain solar heat rather than shiny metal ones.

and we, too, are a certified organic small farm operation ... and I use organic compost on my hayfields in addition to our greenhouse vegetable production.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:03 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
it's good to add a percentage of horse manure to the cow manure.
Good idea.

Our horse manure is loaded with oats. If it does not cook completely then we get oats sprouting. However, considering all of the various forms of weeds, oats are one of the easiest to deal with.

Quote:
... And we, too, are a certified organic small farm operation ... and I use organic compost on my hayfields in addition to our greenhouse vegetable production.
Nothing better

It would be very rare for a rancher to allow any disease to run unchecked in his herd. Such is inhumane, and against common practice.

I assume that this cow manure is local, so you must be able to see the herd it comes from. Are they openly sick or diseased? If they are healthy animals, then I do not see the need for concern over some mythical pathogen.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:01 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,805,141 times
I compost in garbage cans until it gets a certain age and then I dump it into piles on the ground which I cover with a tarp. I have a black plastic garbage can side by side with a galvanized metal one. On hot days the metal one gets hotter and it stores the heat longer at night by a couple of hours. I've researched it and supposedly plastic ones are a no no because they leech harmful chemicals into the compost, which then go into your plants, and eventually your body. Now I use my black plastic one as a storage for dry brown matter which is usually just ground up leaves. So I would highly recommend the cheap galvanized metal trash cans for composting over plastic ones.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:17 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,743,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
There's a very good book on this manure topic, which I've read over and over. Having been raised with the Amish, I learned and lived their life for 7-8 years of my childhood.
"What the Amish Can Teach Us About the Simple Life"

I did the book learning, the research, and the classes on gardening. But when I really want a realistic answer, I visit my Amish neighbors for a chat.

However, it seems the Amish oat fields are easily distinguished from the non Amish.

The Amish have the weediest oats fields around.

Evidently they haven't figured out how to control weeds .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden