U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2013, 03:01 AM
Kyu Kyu started this thread

9 posts, read 12,054 times

Advertisements

Grateful if someone could identify this flower..and plant
Attached Thumbnails
Please identify-rhododeron.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 04:28 AM

35,316 posts, read 48,842,991 times
It says rhododendron on the bottom of the pic and it looks like a rhododendron and these google images of purple rhododendrons look like the flower pictured by Kyu..
https://www.google.ca/search?safe=ac...ctive&tbm=isch
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you have a rhododendron.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:39 AM
Kyu Kyu started this thread

9 posts, read 12,054 times
Hi I wrote rhododendron at the bottom of the pic!!!

Old 11-18-2013, 08:10 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,395,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyu View Post
Hi I wrote rhododendron at the bottom of the pic!!!

I'm not quite sure if you are asking for an ID or just testing people on their knowledge?

Rhododendron covers a lot of territory because it is a genus, several subgenuses and a species name. Azaleas are technically rhododendrons. Did you want a specific ID of the plant? Are you trying to name plants you have taken pictures of that are not yours?

Without a better picture of the leaves and size of the shrub there is a bit of wiggle room on the ID.
Judging from the emerging buds behind it I'll tentatively ID it as: Rhododendron 'Ponticum Roseum' this is one of several names because the parentage and actual species name has been argued about a lot recently. It is a hybrid with a confused history. Other names for it that have been accepted and used for sale include Rhododendron 'Maximum Roseum'

Plant Descriptions - Hybrid Rhododendrons

Old 11-18-2013, 08:41 AM

9,859 posts, read 11,270,177 times
Maybe what the poster is asking for is the name of the particular hybrid cultivar of rhododendron? For that you need a catalog.

H

Old 11-18-2013, 09:47 AM

25,626 posts, read 34,736,502 times
Rhododendron catawbiense 'Boursault'

Just happend to have planted a few of those this past summer.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:42 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,395,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Rhododendron catawbiense 'Boursault'

Just happend to have planted a few of those this past summer.

You have the temerity to disagree with me? Well I never..... I'm out of reps for you for being so daring.

It very well could be. Although I had it on the short list by color(s), stamen and pistils, I could not find anything to show me it had the same budding core you can just see in the OP's photo. As I said originally there is nothing to help nail it down like the location for one and the size of the shrub, relative leaf size to flowers and the way the blooms emerge. Since you've been planting them I'll defer to your keen eye on this.

Leisesturm thank you, I think you are right and that was what my ID was, the full latin name because I assumed the same thing you did. I was hoping to find out why the OP needed to know so I could tell how much detail they were looking for. I think he/she is a photographer who goes into parks takes photos with no real interest in growing the plant and needs a name for the photo in their portfolio. Sometimes plain old Rhododendron would suffice. In my own garden I take pictures all the time so if someone needs a specific plant picture (books and magazine articles) and I've taken the shot I can supply them with the right picture, or at the very least a generic one like "daisy". The search through a catalog -or 10- could take a long time. There are literally hundreds of shrubs in the genus and no one catalog features even half of the named species, let alone the much argued about hybrids that at the moment have multiple names.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:42 PM

36,502 posts, read 51,015,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
You have the temerity to disagree with me? Well I never..... I'm out of reps for you for being so daring.
I'll rep him for you Em. I have a few extra points in my pocket tonight.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:32 AM

25,626 posts, read 34,736,502 times
Awwww you ladies are sweet like four o'clocks on a hot summer evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden