Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 08:06 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Even soil will dull your chainsaw. So try to remove most of the dirt. since you don't have rocks; you can dig down around the stumps easier. The lower you go; the better - you might be able cover the stumps with dirt; if you can then cut below the surface. After my stumps have been cut off for a few years; I take a long steel digging bar and poke them. If they are soft; I try to pry them out of the ground. It usually works if they are fairly rotten.

Do not use your chainsaw with the chain dull. It takes more force to cut and will damage even more of the chain. You can get just a file and dress up your teeth yourself. They do make sharpening rigs from $10 or $20 to professional grinders for a few hundred. Or; you can just take your chains to your local hardware or small engines repair man. I have chains, that I saved for stumps, that just have a few of the original teeth left (but I keep those sharp). Be careful working around sharp chains - they will cut you very easily (even when not running on the saw).
I love to play with sharp things - I sharpen my own leather tools and kitchen knives. One must always respect the sharp tools. However, I'll let my dear husband run the chainsaw. I'm reading your responses to him, and this is all making great sense.

We were given the chainsaw sans chain, so we only have a new chain for it at the moment. It's in excellent condition, having been well-maintained and not used terribly hard by DH's brother. We're going to saw up a fallen tree this weekend and then start working on the pines.

Really appreciate the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 09:17 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
I got rid of some bushes in front of a house we were buying and went to the hardware store to see if they had something to get rid of the stumps. They had something, and I wish I remembered the name but this was about 4 years ago. You put it in a spray bottle and within a day or two after cutting, you spray the stumps. This was late summer and the next spring I was able to kick the stumps with my heel and get them out of the ground. Just check with your hardware store.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:23 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,880 times
Drill a hole in it, fill it with black powder and blow it up.

Pipe Bomb vs Tree stump - YouTube

Old 11-28-2013, 11:38 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
Trucker that's like what a real "dip" did several years ago to clean out his septic tank. He got about a half pound of powdered carbide, used to make acetylene gas. The person who gave it to him, who "borrowed" some from the plant where he worked, told him to flush no more than a tablespoon full down the toilet and it would clean out the septic tank. Wanting to do it quick, Doofus flushed the whole half pound down the drain. I would have loved to be somewhere close to the area when the septic tank exploded all over the neighborhood! lol

Old 11-29-2013, 04:59 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I love to play with sharp things - I sharpen my own leather tools and kitchen knives. One must always respect the sharp tools. However, I'll let my dear husband run the chainsaw. I'm reading your responses to him, and this is all making great sense.

We were given the chainsaw sans chain, so we only have a new chain for it at the moment. It's in excellent condition, having been well-maintained and not used terribly hard by DH's brother. We're going to saw up a fallen tree this weekend and then start working on the pines.

Really appreciate the advice.
Your welcome. But what is a "sans" chain? I had my business back in the early 70's and Oregon made most of our chains. I was trying to research the term and ran into this one link that taught or re-taught me a few tricks: Chainsaw Chain Measurements, Sizes, and Types : eReplacementParts.com.

I was only familiar with chisel tooth, semi chisel and chipper chains.

PS Trucker7, I liked the video. But I don't think the gunpowder was too helpful. They could have just cut off the stump and saved the black powder. It looks like they still have to do some cutting on the piece sticking out the ground. At least they had a blast; but all of that flying wood could have injured one of them.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:01 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
Your welcome. But what is a "sans" chain? I had my business back in the early 70's and Oregon made most of our chains. I was trying to research the term and ran into this one link that taught or re-taught me a few tricks: Chainsaw Chain Measurements, Sizes, and Types : eReplacementParts.com.

I was only familiar with chisel tooth, semi chisel and chipper chains.

PS Trucker7, I liked the video. But I don't think the gunpowder was too helpful. They could have just cut off the stump and saved the black powder. It looks like they still have to do some cutting on the piece sticking out the ground. At least they had a blast; but all of that flying wood could have injured one of them.
Oh, sorry, lol. "Sans" means without. We got chainsaw, no chain. I had to do a little research to see what kind of chain the dang thing required.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:28 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times
Quote:
your welcome. But what is a "sans" chain?
lol

Old 11-30-2013, 09:08 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,647 times
Grubbing axe, and a heavy-duty pry bar can get-er-done.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:38 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Oh, sorry, lol. "Sans" means without. We got chainsaw, no chain. I had to do a little research to see what kind of chain the dang thing required.
Tres bien

Old 12-18-2013, 01:39 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
I recently cut down some Yews in my front yard. I used a pruning blade on my Reciprocating Saw. I kept going at the stumps, cutting a section out at a time. I had to go through a lot of dirt, but the blades are cheap.

Obviously, this would not work on a tree stump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden