Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 05:25 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I bought some grow lights. What of it?

The addiction continues!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 11:40 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,588 times
Beans,Jerusalem Artichokes (8 Kinds), Purple Potatoes, Elderberry, Rasberries, Blackberries, Apple trees should start flowering this year, Crookneck Squash, Tomatoes, Patty Pan Squash, Snow and Regular Peas, Radishes, Carrots, Herbs.
We have built a greenhouse around our Hot Tub and will start with planting in there to extend our season. It's funny to see the Mule Deer stand there looking at the plants inside wishing I'm guessing. We had a Pronghorn Antelope destroy half of our hedges we bought and set out last year, he even got on his knees and whipped them with his horns, ha ha. I put up with it until he started on the third one. Then the BB gun came out, he just waited until we went to work and came and did his deed then. He got 3 more of them beat to the ground and then just quit for some reason. Now when Hunting season came around and I had a license he never darkened our property! We know him as we saw him raised from a fawn and he made it through another season to be here now, he is 4 years old, he even is staying on "his" mound of dirt out here sunning and watching his property.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:39 PM

Bought seeds for container peas. Still thinking about basil and chives.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:51 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,561 times
I'm all for getting started as early in 2014 as the next person -- but a major home shopping network is starting with its garden shows tomorrow already. Wow. But I guess if you live in the far south and southwest...you can garden and plant all year long.

I'm sure they won't be shipping for quite a while. But dang it still seems early. But... for many more of us...it won't be too long! I'm sure by March I'll really be into it.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:58 PM

205 posts, read 272,535 times
I usually start my summer garden seeds towards the end of February in my greenhouse. This year I'm adding about 200sf more of raised beds (already have about 300) so I can try more things. I expect 6 different tomatoes, 6 different peppers, cantaloupe, lettuce, spinach, potatoes, green onions, radishes, basil, dill, 4 squashes, and a couple of cucumbers. Wow...seems like a lot when I write it all down. I can't wait!

Old 01-26-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotsdamBear83 View Post
I usually start my summer garden seeds towards the end of February in my greenhouse. This year I'm adding about 200sf more of raised beds (already have about 300) so I can try more things. I expect 6 different tomatoes, 6 different peppers, cantaloupe, lettuce, spinach, potatoes, green onions, radishes, basil, dill, 4 squashes, and a couple of cucumbers. Wow...seems like a lot when I write it all down. I can't wait!
WOW!! You have so much space. I have a baby garden of only approx. 28 square feet.

I plan on getting my seeds started in a few weeks. I just need to get a seedling mat and I'll be ready.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:54 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I have a tomatoe plant still growing and it is a dwarf of course but it is in front of a window and under a grow light and it is doing very well and have a tiny dwarf still growing on the other side so Im hoping I will have plenty of fresh tomatoes in a few months time ...I m really surprised that these little hardys are still going strong ...

Old 01-28-2014, 04:46 PM

207 posts, read 445,441 times
We usually start our seeds in January but it has been unusually cold here in the south and our grow station is in the Garage so we are waiting for it to warm up a little.
We are planting
Veggies: tomato, pepper,eggplant,squash,peas

Flowers: morning glories, cleomes, moon flowers, come flower, zinnia, gomphrena

Old 01-29-2014, 01:59 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Woot! Got cotton seeds today! From a place called "Tropilabs" in Florida. It is supposed to be Sea Island White cotton, I'll grow out a plant and see what the fiber looks like. There should also be some seed coming from a national seed bank. Hopefully one or the other of these seeds will be the true Sea Island cotton. I've got a few folks waiting to plant stands of cotton as soon as we get good seed. Then we can spin it into yarn and see where it goes from there.

Today we picked choy sum since it's Gung Hee Fat Choy (Happy New Year in Chinese, or at least, so they say around here) as well as some long bean which is another Asian favorite. Tomorrow it will be picking romaine lettuce since it's getting pretty thick out there.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:29 PM

I started all of my seeds today. It's about 10 weeks before last frost. That's enough time to get healthy plants with at least 10 days to harden them off before getting planted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden