U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2013, 06:00 PM

7,841 posts, read 8,380,180 times

Advertisements

This past June, I bought a potted mandevilla vine, and since I live in zone 5 (southwestern NYS), I decided to try to overwinter it in my sunroom, which is somewhat coolish (60s). The room gets plenty of light but it lacks a lot of bright sunlight because we have lots of cloudy weather here, especially in November and December.

I have a green thumb for outdoor plants, but indoor plants don't do so well for me. Mostly it's because I don't water them as frequently as I should. The leaves on the mandevilla are turning yellow and falling off. I have the care tag, and I think my conditions seem okay. The soil seems moist, but maybe it's not moist enough? The plant sits in a plastic bowl so excess water drains into that and I refill it as necessary. Should I keep water in it all the time? Should I set the pot on a bed of gravel and put water around it?

I don't really care if it looks ugly for the winter as long as it survives until next spring when it can go back outside where it thrived in the sunshine on the brick patio.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 06:17 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,519,924 times
Linda,
Stop watering it.
You are an outdoor gardenr, so what do yellow leaves mean?
First thing that comes to mind for me is either too little or too much
water. If the temps are cool where the plant is, why would need more water?
Go buy a florescent light, small one, and give it extra light.
Don't put a bowl under it, only water it about once a week, when
you stick your finger in the pot and it is definately dry.
It's tropical, it likes sunlight and heat.
Try your best to give it that, and stop watering it.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:54 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,273,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
This past June, I bought a potted mandevilla vine, and since I live in zone 5 (southwestern NYS), I decided to try to overwinter it in my sunroom, which is somewhat coolish (60s). The room gets plenty of light but it lacks a lot of bright sunlight because we have lots of cloudy weather here, especially in November and December.

I have a green thumb for outdoor plants, but indoor plants don't do so well for me. Mostly it's because I don't water them as frequently as I should. The leaves on the mandevilla are turning yellow and falling off. I have the care tag, and I think my conditions seem okay. The soil seems moist, but maybe it's not moist enough? The plant sits in a plastic bowl so excess water drains into that and I refill it as necessary. Should I keep water in it all the time? Should I set the pot on a bed of gravel and put water around it?

I don't really care if it looks ugly for the winter as long as it survives until next spring when it can go back outside where it thrived in the sunshine on the brick patio.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Let your green thumb come through by not overdoing and overthinking!!

It is tropical and it likes some humidity, but not sitting in perpetually wet soil especially since it is not growing due to low light conditions. Let the upper soil dry a little so that the water level it isn't rotting the roots. Once a week a good drench and drain should be good. As long as the roots are not sitting in water a pebble tray for humidity will help. The yellowed leaves are most likely because the Mandevilla is hung up between going dormant and trying to get by on lower light. Usually one trims them back when bringing them in and again in late winter and keep them in a cool room (60-70 degrees) --OR- once it is cool enough in the fall for it to drop its leaves store them in very cool but not freezing spot like a basement or protected garage. As Butterfly said you can also try adding a little artificial light to give the plant a little help surviving the gray days.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:00 AM

7,841 posts, read 8,380,180 times
Thanks. I'll limit the water and add a grow light.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:17 PM

2,136 posts, read 1,385,005 times
I cut mine down to about five inches and water when the soil is dry. Next year, put it back out doors and start watering/feeding according to directions. I have never had one hold its leaves over the winter.

As long as you don't over water, I wouldn't give up on it even if it looks dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden