U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 10:09 PM

7,305 posts, read 26,271,295 times

Advertisements

Well here we go again, it has been a very long time since we have had temperatures this cold in Tennessee... since 1996 to be exact!

I have two Windmill Palms, as well as a Needle Palm. Last time I had a Windmill Palm, it got down to 5°, I forgot to cover it and it perished.

I had since purchased two more that I have had for about 6 or 7 years... they have taken the Tennessee winters in stride, but now I am worried with this arctic cold blast that is invading us!

It was already cold when I got home from work, it had already dropped to 7° by 6pm. We covered one with a blue tarp the best we could (they are getting fairly large) and the other with clear plastic and a sheet the best we could. I am hoping this is enough, but it is now 2° here at midnight. They have forecasted 0° for a low, then only 16° for a high tomorrow, then 7° again tomorrow night, then a warm up! With it only being in the mid 10s tomorrow will it be OK to leave it covered with the tarp/plastic? I have always heard to uncover the plants covered in plastic during the day, but that is usually when it gets above freezing? I just don't want to uncover during the day tomorrow, then deal with it again tomorrow in the frigid cold. *We also covered the Needle Palm, but I think it is more hardy and ok.

*Also, if something happens that it seems to defoliate the palms, is there anything I can do to try to revive? I would hate to lose these, but shame on me for trying to grow palms in Tennessee. It has not been this cold here in 18 years, so hopefully we can go another 18 years without weather this cold again.

Thanks for any advice!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 11:15 PM

2,454 posts, read 3,222,351 times
I have no personal experience with outdoor palms but I would leave them covered. It's not like temps are going to rise much during the day. In my climate we can only grow them in containers and bring them in for the winter. The tarps will do all they can but if they are not successful I don't think there is much you can do. If it only defoliates the leaves they will grow back eventually. Avoid fertilizing or anything like that to "help" them along. A stressed plant doesn't need that kind of attention. Good luck!

Old 01-06-2014, 11:22 PM

Thanks!

It had been awhile, but I looked up a little on their hardiness. The Needle Palm is stated to be OK to -20°, so should be ok there. lol. The Windmill Palm is stated to be ok to 0°, which is about what our temperature is now at 1:25am, but I also have them covered up. That one site said a lot depends on the age, soil, micro-climate, health of the tree, etc. Strange that I lost one of these in the mid single digits a few years ago (which is rare here), but it was in a low drained area, so maybe that was the problem. I guess time will tell... thankfully this will be short-lived, as we are forecasted to be back in the 50s again by Thursday.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:34 PM

I think it is finished. Temperatures dropped to -2° at my home on Tuesday morning and down to 5° on Wednesday morning. It looks like someone poured gasoline on the fronds, despite them being covered up.

I am sure the fronds will brown and die... hopefully it didn't kill the new growth in the center and/or it will revive in the spring. Thankfully that was our last cold night. After tonight (lows near 20° Wednesday night), it is not forecasted to even get below freezing for lows for the next 5 days... maybe even close to 65° on Saturday!

It was as cold as 6° in Atlanta where I know there are a lot of Windmill palms... I wonder how they weathered the storm?

The Needle Palm looks fine... it is obviously a more hardy palm.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:28 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,477,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I think it is finished. Temperatures dropped to -2° at my home on Tuesday morning and down to 5° on Wednesday morning. It looks like someone poured gasoline on the fronds, despite them being covered up.

I am sure the fronds will brown and die... hopefully it didn't kill the new growth in the center and/or it will revive in the spring. Thankfully that was our last cold night. After tonight (lows near 20° Wednesday night), it is not forecasted to even get below freezing for lows for the next 5 days... maybe even close to 65° on Saturday!

It was as cold as 6° in Atlanta where I know there are a lot of Windmill palms... I wonder how they weathered the storm?

The Needle Palm looks fine... it is obviously a more hardy palm.
Everything here that I have seen so far looks like they pulled through without any damage. There are A LOT of windmill palms/sago palms/etc planted in my neighborhood, and when I went for a walk yesterday, all that I know of are still alive without any burn from the cold at all (even the smaller ones). It got down to around 7 degrees in Atlantaon Tuesday morning (In the Perimeter). It probably helps though that we were in the mid-upper 20's during each of the cold days, so the single digit temps didn't last more than a couple of hours at night, if that. On Wednesday morning we got down to 19, and starting yesterday we were well above freezing.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:31 PM

18,440 posts, read 38,535,191 times
I'm down at the FL/AL state line and it got down to 11F here. My Sabals, Needles, and Windmill palms look good. I covered my Mule palms and wrapped my Sylvester palm with lights, so far they both look okay.

My Washingtonias (Mex) are toast, I won't even try to grow those again. I think my Sago palms are also going to be burned. My concern here is that it has been wet, cold and wet isn't good for palms.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Everything here that I have seen so far looks like they pulled through without any damage. There are A LOT of windmill palms/sago palms/etc planted in my neighborhood, and when I went for a walk yesterday, all that I know of are still alive without any burn from the cold at all (even the smaller ones). It got down to around 7 degrees in Atlantaon Tuesday morning (In the Perimeter). It probably helps though that we were in the mid-upper 20's during each of the cold days, so the single digit temps didn't last more than a couple of hours at night, if that. On Wednesday morning we got down to 19, and starting yesterday we were well above freezing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I'm down at the FL/AL state line and it got down to 11F here. My Sabals, Needles, and Windmill palms look good. I covered my Mule palms and wrapped my Sylvester palm with lights, so far they both look okay.

My Washingtonias (Mex) are toast, I won't even try to grow those again. I think my Sago palms are also going to be burned. My concern here is that it has been wet, cold and wet isn't good for palms.
Glad to hear the palms were saved to my south. I just think it is not meant for me to have Windmill palms for more than 5 or 6 years - that is what I get for trying to grow palms in NE Tennessee. It is just I love tropical so much and never get to go to the coastal southeast, so I try to bring it here.

Yeah - your temps warmed up fairly quick into the 20s... we lingered in the low-mid 10s up here (but left them covered in the day - maybe that is what damaged them?), then more single digit lows that night (Tuesday night)... today much nicer - it was in the mid 50s and we could see mid 60s on Saturday. lol.

My last Windmill palm (that I had for 4 years) was killed with a low temperature of 8° that we had a few years ago! It did the same thing my current palms did and it never survived. I ended up chopping it down. I didn't think 8° would kill it, but it did.

We did have a very rainy year... over 60 inches of rain for 2013, which was 18 inches more than normal for the year.

My Needle Palm looks fine and I didn't even cover it up - it is my understanding that these will survive to around -15 or -20, so we are really good to not have to worry about it getting that cold here. lol.

Also, I was a little concerned about my Slash Pines, Florida Pines and Pond Pine on that -2° morning, but they look fine! Also to my amazement, my two Southern Live Oaks look ok. I thought the leaves would have been shriveled by now, but they look ok. I do know that they defoliated back a few years ago when we had single digit lows, but they were young. Thankfully in the spring, they leafed back out. They are about 6 years old now, so probably more hardy. I guess time will tell if they will keep their leaves this year. Also, my Southern Magnolia that I planted in 1996 is also fine. I was sure it would be because we have over 100+ year old Southern Magnolias here that have survived here for well over a century. I will never know if my Sabal Birmingham would have made it because it died last summer when I transplanted it to a different spot in the yard in the spring. I moved it to a spot where I thought it would be happier, because it had not grew an inch were it was before. Instead, it died when I moved it.

Well if my Windmill Palms do not revive in the spring, it will be my last try at them. It took us 18 years to drop below 1° and it may be another 18 years before it happens, but who knows. It is not worth $60 a pop to chance it.

Funny thing was, I knew this very unusually record cold air for our area was coming our way. I work a lot and my dad said he would build me some cages over the trees and I could throw heavy blankets over. Well the day before, it was a beautiful day, highs in the 60s and late in the evening I found out he didn't do it. Had I known that, I would have went to plan B and wrapped them with Christmas lights or something. I will blame it on dad and mother nature. lol.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:21 PM

44,609 posts, read 55,575,051 times
I have a Pindo in zone 8, and it is doing fine. It got down to 17 here this week. This is its 3rd winter. My first attempt was a date palm that had bee outside the garden center for 4 years, but it did not survive its first winter at my house.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:51 PM

Thanks for the replies! Well we are in store for another unusually cold blast of cold air! Lows forecasted again to be in the single digits for a couple of days this week, which is a good 17-20° average. All of the foliage on the Windmills are browned and crisp.

Would it be OK for me to trim off the DEAD now so I can cover the rest of the palms much better, or is it dangerous for me to trim away the browned/crisp foliage at this point?

Thanks!

Here are some photos of the damaged palms... I took these photos this evening (January 14, 2014).

My Needle Palm faired much better, but even it looks a little sick...

So far, my Live Oak has not defoliated...

Old 01-20-2014, 07:30 PM

I have done a little research on my own and it seems like it is not a good idea to trim now.

I read about this: Liquid Fence 1 gal. Ready to Use FreezePruf-1009 at The Home Depot

...too bad I didn't have it before. I wonder if too late to use this to protect from future freezes this winter? It looks like it is going to be an unusually cold winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden