Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 02:33 PM

10,062 posts, read 12,715,069 times

Advertisements

What roses will reward you with great beauty in the South only if you spray them every week for something or other and do other things to pamper them during the heat and humidity?
God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 02:41 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,879,585 times
Mouldy,
The new hybrid Tea roses.
Oh, and the English Roses.
Both are not good to grow in the deep south.
THere are roses though that thrive in the south.
Look up online, or call and ask a nursery near you.
Private nursery, you know, with owners who will understand
about plants in your area.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Mouldy,
The new hybrid Tea roses.
Oh, and the English Roses.
Both are not good to grow in the deep south.
THere are roses though that thrive in the south.
Look up online, or call and ask a nursery near you.
Private nursery, you know, with owners who will understand
about plants in your area.

Well, some people like to work hard to have pretty roses.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:00 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,104,376 times
roses do NOT like an acid soil. a lot of the southern land is like that. That's why azaleas and camilleas do so well. have your soil tested and put lime on it, if it needs it.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:22 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,692,669 times
I don't know what the worst ones are, but one of the best has got to be the one out on my fence....it is absolutely beautiful and has grown like a weed from the minute I planted it. I've looked and looked for what kind it is, but can't seem to find it. It's got to be an old-fashioned one, because it grows so well and never gets powdery mildew. When it gets in its glory I'm going to try to remember to take a picture and post a "what is it?" thread.

"Seven Sisters" grows like a weed in the deep South, but is always covered in powdery mildew.

The only other rose I have (I'm not one of those who loves to work hard) is a 'New Dawn'. I just had to have one because P. Allen Smith (I call him Pallen) was always raving about them. Well, mine is in a spot that is a little too shady for it and doesn't bloom like crazy, and that's my fault....but even if it did, the blooms just don't last very long and are not fragrant like he said they would be. I do enjoy it when it's blooming, but the bloom period just doesn't last very long....and the individual blooms start looking ratty after just a couple of days.

If I'd known then what I know now, I would have planted 'Veilchenblau' in that spot, as it is supposed to be a more shade-tolerant rose.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:41 PM

Tyler, Texas is called the "Rose Capital of the World". Interesting for a hot, humid city.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:39 AM

18,812 posts, read 32,267,495 times
I gave up on roses no matter where I lived. They're just too tasty. Every critter and fungus and whatever attacks roses. They're such high maintenance. So few rose bushes look good. The flowers are gorgeous, but the plants themselves are really ugly IMO.

They're either peaked or they're taking over your house lol! I've ripped out some very happy climbing roses in my time.

Either way, they have thorns. I don't like thorns!

I love cut roses, but really dislike the plant.

Which had pretty much nothing to do with your OP LOL. Any roses are the worst to grow anywhere - at least for me.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I gave up on roses no matter where I lived. They're just too tasty. Every critter and fungus and whatever attacks roses. They're such high maintenance. So few rose bushes look good. The flowers are gorgeous, but the plants themselves are really ugly IMO.

They're either peaked or they're taking over your house lol! I've ripped out some very happy climbing roses in my time.

Either way, they have thorns. I don't like thorns!

I love cut roses, but really dislike the plant.

Which had pretty much nothing to do with your OP LOL. Any roses are the worst to grow anywhere - at least for me.
There are some thornless roses.

Thornless Roses - Heirloom Roses

Old 05-02-2014, 11:42 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,267,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
There are some thornless roses.

Thornless Roses - Heirloom Roses
Now you're talkin'! But, still, I bet the bugs love them. They are aphid magnets. And they're still an ugly plant, IMO. Love the flowers and the smell, but hate the plant they come on. I mean the whole reason you can even have long-stemmed roses, is because they're so dang leggy. They just need constant fussing. Unless, of course, they're a climbing variety and you don't care if they take over. They're great along a fence in the back 40.

I do love the rose hips, though . I used to gather them in my young hippy days where they grew wild (probably old homesteads) and dry them for tea, or even make jelly out of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden