Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2014, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,506 times

Advertisements

Hi! I have this plant (hopefully I did this right so it will show up) I have attached pictures of. It was a plant someone gave me as a gift in a pot with three other plants. It went on a growing spurt about a month ago and then fell over (the way it looks now). I have transplanted it now and the way you see it is what it currently looks like. I am pretty sure it is not supposed to be bowed over the way it is right now, it does have a stalk of sorts in the centre but it is not very strong - which would be why it fell over. I want to find out what kind of plant it is (maybe a palm of some sort) so I know if I should be trying to support it in an upright position till the stalk strengthens up, or leave it the way it is since that seems to be what it wants to do!! Anyone??

Thanks!!
Kirsten
Attached Thumbnails
Help id-ing a houseplant-plant4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 12:54 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
May be a pretty wild guess. Maybe a really stretched our bamboo plant. (poor light) Any sign of a cane like base?

9GreenBox - Live 2 Layer Cake Lucky Bamboo Plant Arrangement w/ Japanese Ceramic Pot 21 stalk *GIFT*: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Old 02-05-2014, 01:43 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,766,281 times
I think it may be one of these. Sanderiana
This particular one can grow to be 2'-5', but is still considered a table top plant.

There are many many types of dracaena; just do a web search and you'll find many that look similar to yours. I'd suggest finding something to help prop it up.

This just occurred to me: the location of the plant has very bright light, at least it looks like it in your picture. Does it have direct sunlight for part of the day? Perhaps that's just too much light and you could find another spot for it. Also, I'm now wondering if it's a reaction to the transplanting .

Hopefully someone else who knows more than I do will come along to help with this.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:04 AM

63 posts, read 89,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirstenn View Post
Hi! I have this plant (hopefully I did this right so it will show up) I have attached pictures of. It was a plant someone gave me as a gift in a pot with three other plants. It went on a growing spurt about a month ago and then fell over (the way it looks now). I have transplanted it now and the way you see it is what it currently looks like. I am pretty sure it is not supposed to be bowed over the way it is right now, it does have a stalk of sorts in the centre but it is not very strong - which would be why it fell over. I want to find out what kind of plant it is (maybe a palm of some sort) so I know if I should be trying to support it in an upright position till the stalk strengthens up, or leave it the way it is since that seems to be what it wants to do!! Anyone??

Thanks!!
Kirsten
Its a spider plant, but not doing very well. I would cut it to about 4", re-pot it into really good potting soil with slow-release fertilizer like Osmocote, give it lots of bright light but not direct sun, and water only when soil feels dry. It is meant to hang down over the sides of the pot, and it forms off-shoots on the ends of its leaves that look like "spiders". Good luck with it.

Care for a Spider Plant - wikiHow

Old 02-05-2014, 10:09 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
Spider plant for sure- looks like it has been given too much water. Spider plants are pretty hardy when it comes to everything but temperature. It does not like the cold, but will survive it.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:15 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Yes, spider plant. Is it making any "babies" yet?

Old 02-05-2014, 08:27 PM

336 posts, read 575,103 times
Yep. Spider plant,

Old 02-06-2014, 12:14 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,766,281 times
Well now I'm embarrassed Thank you for the accurate information.
Has anyone seen the OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden