Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2014, 06:04 PM

4 posts, read 4,260 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I recently had to have some excavation work done around my home to remedy water issues. French drains were installed and my lawn of nicely established Zoysia grass was destroyed. When the earth was dug up and redistributed, the gravel that previous owners had buried in the soil as a temporary french drain was mixed in with the clay/soil and spread throughout the area.

I want to replant grass in the 200 or so sq foot area but need advise on what kind will grow best in the mix of clay, soil, and gravel (mostly clay).

I want something that will be easy to grow with little maintenance.

Thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 04:32 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,501,758 times
Why not put down more Zoysia.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Why not put down more Zoysia.
That was my original plan but from what I have read, Zoysia is not exactly the easiest nor quickest grass to grow, especially from seed.

The grass was already here when we bought the house so this is my first experience with sowing grass.

Does anyone have experience with growing Zoysia from seed?

Old 02-23-2014, 10:46 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,501,758 times
You can try zoysia plugs or sod. The plugs are fairly reasonable priced.

Here's a place that sells the plugs: http://www1.zoysiafarms.com/ordernow.jsp

Old 02-23-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You can try zoysia plugs or sod. The plugs are fairly reasonable priced.

Here's a place that sells the plugs: Zoysia Farm Nurseries: Order Your Zoysia
Thanks for the response, my only problem with the plugs is that I have a pretty large area.

I was thinking of trying Rye or Kentucky Bluegrass. From what I've read online, they are fairly easy grasses to grow but I wasn't sure if there were better options to fit my needs. I'm going to try to rake up as much of the gravel as I can before I plant the grass but it's inevitable that some will remain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden