U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 06:45 AM

6 posts, read 9,375 times

Advertisements

Just got this potted hydrangea plant two days ago and the leaves are of uneven colour (whitish spots). What could have caused it?
I repotted it and also put some fertilizer. Is there anything else I can do? Thank you so much!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 09:01 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
32,375 posts, read 59,011,340 times
It's not a good idea to fertilize a sick plant. It was most likely that way when you bought it, and I would attempt to take it back for a refund. Most likely it's a soft-scale insect attack. If you keep the plant, cut off the worst leaves and bag them/throw away, and spray twice weekly with an insecticidal soap, making sure to get the underside of the leaves.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:26 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,722,567 times
Hydrangeas usually do better in the ground, they also need a cold period to bloom and perform optimally.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:28 PM

5,459 posts, read 9,351,502 times
First, move the hydrangea to a bigger container. I prefer to use container with holes on the bottom so excess water can drain off. Use plastic catch bowl at the base of container to catch excess water. Use just the potting soil and do NOT add fertilizer.

Second, cover the hydrangea with a zip lock bag over it. The hydrangea LOVES moist air and our indoor air is too dry for them.

Third, place them where they can get good amount of INDIRECT sunlight. You don't want them get too hot in the bag.

Just let them grow in the bag. I have hydrangea from cuttings in the bag since last September and they are healthy! Wait till your zone pass the last frost date before you transplant them in the ground.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:59 PM

Thank you everyone.
I live in a tropical country and this hydrangea has been acclimatized. The plant will not have issue with the climate I guess, and it's placed at shaded area (indoor).
I sprayed with some homemade pesticide I made last night (Jalapeno+garlic+onion concoction I found on Youtube) to get rid of any creepy crawlies.
However I will take the advice of taking out the fertilizer and repotting it to a bigger pot.
Thanks so much!

Old 02-18-2014, 08:12 PM

6,413 posts, read 9,434,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finefrenzy View Post
Thank you everyone.
I live in a tropical country and this hydrangea has been acclimatized. The plant will not have issue with the climate I guess, and it's placed at shaded area (indoor).
I sprayed with some homemade pesticide I made last night (Jalapeno+garlic+onion concoction I found on Youtube) to get rid of any creepy crawlies.
However I will take the advice of taking out the fertilizer and repotting it to a bigger pot.
Thanks so much!
The other issue with spots on the leaves is too much moisture in their roots. As one poster said, they do best in the ground with good drainage. When you cut it back, cut it to a node with two buds and you double up the flower potential.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:01 PM

thanks for all the tip!

Old 02-23-2014, 10:31 PM

5,459 posts, read 9,351,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finefrenzy View Post
thanks for all the tip!
How's your hydrangea doing?

Old 02-24-2014, 05:25 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,819,896 times
I got a beautiful potted (pink) hydrangea as a gift about 3 weeks ago. So far so good but I think I will be repotting it soon as it will be at least 2 more months if not more before it can go in the ground in my climate. It just needs a bit more room as the pot it came in is quite small. Any suggestions on the type of soil to use?

Old 02-24-2014, 05:53 AM

21,041 posts, read 9,677,811 times
Any good quality potting mix will work. I'd avoid the kinds with added fertilizer, if you can. This time of year, they don't need it.

Anytime the daytime temps are in the 40s or better, put it outside for a few hours, it will appreciate the light. But as long as it's still in the pot, don't leave it out overnight until the freezing is over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden