Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 06:08 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,989,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
No one is talking about chopping down trees or digging up plants. A cutting is about the same amount of foliage that would naturally fall off the plant during a vigorous storm.
Although the OP was talking about taking cuttings from city property other people said it was OK to do that with wild flowers " out in the woods".

Perhaps I am over reacting because of the numerous problems we have had on our property, but IMHO, it is a "slippery slope" for people who feel that it is OK to steal cuttings from public property to start cutting down Christmas trees and digging flowers on private property in the country. Our land is very close to a city and it happens far too often.

Over the years we have actually "caught people in the act" of cutting down trees, stealing fire wood and digging out wild flowers and they pretended to not realize that it is private property even through it is clearly posted "No trespassing" and you have to climb over a fence to get inside.

End of vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 10:10 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,686,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

Also be aware that a lot of plants are patented which means no propagation of any kind is allowed. Somebody spent years and a lot of money to produce this plant and they are protecting their investment. I don't blame them.
I can see that argument for reselling. BUT, if I want a cutting of a plant for myself, I'll do it.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:32 AM

8,540 posts, read 12,289,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Gotta question. If there aren't any signs posted, is it theft to take clippings or cutting from flowers or plants that are in public places?
I can't believe you had to ask!

Old 02-21-2014, 08:42 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,975,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
I can see that argument for reselling. BUT, if I want a cutting of a plant for myself, I'll do it.
Suit yourself. The answer to the OP's question remains the same, if you do this it's theft. Whether or not you care if it's theft is up to you.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:56 AM

6 posts, read 12,463 times
I've never had a business refuse my request, btw. Look at me crazy, yes. Confirm I am not taking the whole plant, yes. AND I did once ask an officer who was standing next to a specimen on the street, and HE said Ok too.

Homeowners have been very friendly too, although they prefer to make the cut for me. And sometimes wrap it lovingly. And tell me exactly how to care for my cutting. And give me detailed information on the plants origins...

Old 02-21-2014, 09:07 AM

893 posts, read 881,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
Is it wrong to take anything without permission.

Common Since !!!!!
I love irony!

Old 02-21-2014, 09:15 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,273,436 times
OP, like with most things in life, the answer is "IT DEPENDS".
In the scenario mentioned, i would say no. it's not stealing, and it's not a problem.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:59 PM

32,512 posts, read 47,530,478 times
I wonder if the people who think it is OK to snip off a branch without asking are the same people who think it is OK to take a few apples, or cut a few pretty flowers for a bouquet.

I've come home to find that all of my lilies had gone for a walk and my grapevines striped. But hey, it doesn't actually hurt the plant.

I've found people inside my fenced backyard, picking blackberries and they insisted they could be there because they were wild berries. Uh, no they aren't. I planted them, I cared for them, and I put up the fence to let you know you are trespassing.

When I was very young, there were so many wildflowers that the hills looked solid bright orange, or solid deep blue. Now, the same hills are just plain dirt in the spring. When all the flowers get picked, there is no seed production for next year's plants.

I have never ever been turned down when I asked if I could have a cutting. There is no reason to not take a few seconds to ask.

I have never turned down anyone who asked for a cutting, but I prefer to use my own clean shears and to supervise just what is cut off.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:12 PM

452 posts, read 706,711 times
I'm an avid gardener and I grow much of my ornamentals by propagation. If I see a plant that I like, I'll go to the owner (even to their front door) and ask permission to take a clipping.

What I've found is that people are so appreciative of my NOT stealing their plants (even bits of them) that they've given me not only clippings, but entire plants (not limited to the one I was admiring!)

Gardenweb has a trading section btw. If you want plants, look up who wants to trade. You'll find that you don't need 2930984 amaryllis bulbs and you're more than willing to trade for whatever it is that peaks your interest!

Old 02-21-2014, 02:02 PM

50,058 posts, read 63,405,659 times
My feeling is, if you can get it at a garden center, go buy your own. If it is common, it will probably be inexpensive. If it is a rare or unusual plant, then it was probably expensive or hard to come by for the person who bought it. Why should you get it for free?
Aside from this, most gardeners are happy to share something they have too much of, meaning they give something and you give something. That way, its fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden