Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 12:01 PM

5 posts, read 11,793 times

Advertisements

I have a home under contract and am concerned that trees are too close to the house. They're planted a few feet away from a walkout basement. I suspect they were planted for shade, as this side of the house faces west and the trees are in front of windows. The home inspector noted that they are too close to the house, but only recommended trimming the branches. No issues were noted with the foundation, but the basement is finished, so it could be difficult to tell if there are issues.

Any chance these trees are a type that won't cause potential issues with the foundation? I'll try to attach some pictures in case anyone has insight into the varietal. I'm waiting to hear back from an arborist who we may get to do an assessment.

I'm in Colorado.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 12:13 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,034,960 times
Any chance you can speak with the inspector and get a clarification on if he thinks the trees will damage the foundation as they grow?

Old 02-20-2014, 12:22 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,140,325 times
Trees look like birches. I would check with a local nursery with regard to how invasive roots of birches can get (your arborist should be able to tell you as well). If they only go down and don't spread sideways, it might not be a structural issue down the road.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Homeowners often see a tre they like and go buy some to plant without thinking of the future consequences. I would have an arborist come and look at them. I cannot tell the variety from the pictures, but some are much worse than others for undermining foundations or getting into sewer pipes. Some, like flowering cherry and Aspen will send roots under the foundation and come up in the crawl space and grow new trees in there using light from the vents. A regular home inspector is not qualified to help with this other than what he did already, trimming to keep the tree from hitting the house.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:42 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
Need an upclose clear picture of the leaves on the branchs to identify.

You can mitigate the root issue by installing root barriers.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:28 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,082,704 times
They are birches and very beautiful. I would ask a tree professional. However, and this was a surprise to me, birch roots are invasive. "To double in area every year and build the underground web [of roots] to support rapid top growth, roots have to grow fast. Substantial white birch roots fill the area around the tree and probe cracks in barriers, including concrete. The tree’s aggressive roots seek water, prying open cracks or joints in sewer or irrigation systems. Birch roots, along with willow and poplar, are among the most aggressive -- and destructive -- tree roots." But, do not cut them down without more information. The roots might grow away from the house due to a pH preference (acidity).

Old 02-20-2014, 06:47 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,151 times
Canuck,
Since it is under contract, you can tell the owners to have them
cut down for you.
Just a thought, they might.
I wouldn't want ANY tree that close to my home, invasive or not.
A strong wind storm and you never know, you could loose some
windows.
If they are river birch, and that is what I thought as soon as I saw them,
get the chain saw started, and cut them down right after settlement.
River birch, what does that tell you about the tree?
Oh, congrats on your new home, I hope you have many happy
years there.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:40 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,319 times
It also appears that the previous owner allowed these to grow into a double leader structure, which is not the strongest shape for a tree like birch. The trees would be easier to get rid of now rather than ten years from now. By the way, I am very much a do-it-yourselfer but I would hire a professional because trees can be unpredictable when felled by an inexperienced cutter.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:20 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,784,742 times
Tree Dangers

Tree Dangers - Int'l Association of Certified Home Inspectors (InterNACHI)

Suggested trees near house

Suggested trees near house - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

11 Trees You Should Never Plant in Your Yard

Bad Trees | Tree Choices for the Yard | Planting Trees Tips

Old 02-21-2014, 06:43 AM

24,467 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Congratulations on such a pretty new home!
The trees look like River Birches. You may want to consider having them cut down as soon as possible; potentially as part of the contract stipulations. They will grow rapidly, have an expansive root system and drop their leaves in fall and their "blooms" in spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden