Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 02:58 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times

Advertisements

I thought it would be a good idea to have an open gardening thread for people to ask simple questions that may not need a full thread.

Ask away!!

Question: This may sound silly, but when planting gladiolus, is there any way of being sure they won't grow backwards? Glads are one of the few flowers that have a definite front and a definite back. I've heard of Glads coming up facing backswards and sideways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 08:02 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,914,536 times
Charley,
Glads don't. Plant them with the flat side down. There is a point on the other end.
They get really big, my mom had them while I was growing up.
They bloom in late Summer, which is nice.
The flower spike will grow and face the sun.
I personally like iris better.
Iris is the cousin of Glads.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:52 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Where can I get some gladiolus? When is the time to plant them?

Old 03-05-2014, 08:58 PM

A separate question on bluberry.

Last fall I bought 3 blueberry plants and I left them outdoor all winter. Of course this winter is the coldest in 30 years. I did surround them with straw bales to keep warm. Last couple of days ago I noticed they begin to show buds. Does this mean they are still alive?

Old 03-06-2014, 01:47 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post

Last fall I bought 3 blueberry plants and I left them outdoor all winter. Of course this winter is the coldest in 30 years. I did surround them with straw bales to keep warm. Last couple of days ago I noticed they begin to show buds. Does this mean they are still alive?
Im not sure what blueberry you have, but my Rabbiteye are deciduous and lose their leaves every winter. The stems appear red during that time and then green when the leaves have appeared. I would be patient, the South is blueberry country.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Where can I get some gladiolus? When is the time to plant them?
Got it. A good link.
Gladiolus: How to Plant, Grow, and Care for Gladiolus

Old 03-06-2014, 05:03 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Charley,
Glads don't. Plant them with the flat side down. There is a point on the other end.
They get really big, my mom had them while I was growing up.
They bloom in late Summer, which is nice.
The flower spike will grow and face the sun.
I personally like iris better.
Iris is the cousin of Glads.
Thanks for the info.

Has anyone grown clematis from seed? My seeds aren't germinating and starter plants are expensive.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:59 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
I have a row of arborvitae that form a screen along my driveway. Some need to be pruned to make them thicker as they're a bit "leggy". When is the best time to prune evergreens? Specifically arborvitae?

Old 03-07-2014, 05:21 PM

30,524 posts, read 16,217,604 times
Quote:

may depend on the type of blueberry but keep in mind Maine is noted for blueberries! and they grow well in PA as I'm sure, in other cold states. I'm actually surprised they grow in a climate warm all year round.

A little trick you may/may not know: put coffee grounds around (not on) the base of the bush. They love the acid.

http://www.vintagegardengal.com/2009...coffee-grinds/

Last edited by PAhippo; 03-07-2014 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: adding reference

Old 03-07-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
may depend on the type of blueberry but keep in mind Maine is noted for blueberries! and they grow well in PA as I'm sure, in other cold states. I'm actually surprised they grow in a climate warm all year round.

A little trick you may/may not know: put coffee grounds around (not on) the base of the bush. They love the acid.

Feed Your Blueberry Bushes Coffee Grinds | VintageGardenGal
Thanks. Yes I do know that they need acidic soil and coffee grounds improve the acidity of soil.

Mine are Northern high bush by the way. They are Duke, Patriot, & Blue Jay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden