Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 07:54 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,296,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It's the thickest, softest barefoot grass you can have. It's like a carpet. But it doesn't green up until it gets to be 80 degrees. Good thing is it requires very little watering in the summer. I love it.
when does it start getting brown?
when is it completely brown?
How quickly did it spread?
which state are you in?
do you have any pictures you could share please?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 09:09 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,221,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
which state are you in?

I don't have any pictures, but in the Kansas City area, it would go dormant starting in early October. And it turns a light tan color, not brown. And it spread rather slowly, but it will spread to your neighbor's yard. Thats how we got it. Our neighbor's zoysia spread into our yard up to our driveway. I liked it, so I kept taking plugs and planting them on the other side of our driveway. I'd say it took 5 years to completely take over the rest of the lawn.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:08 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,185,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
which state are you in?

I imagine it would vary depending on your climate, but mine would start browning in maybe October-November or so. It would stay brown until May-June. I'm in Nebraska.

I put in strips of it off my in-laws' yard. They would cut out strips by the sidewalk and I'd just transplant it. Over the course of 4-5 years it had spread out a decent amount, but it wasn't immediate.

I've since moved. I'm a small-town pastor, but one of my congregants in town has a yard full of it. I'm probably going to get some from here to put in the parsonage and church lawns (assuming the board agrees to it, as not everyone likes it). It's light-brown right now. I'll see if I can snap a pic for you...and then maybe in a couple months when it greens up.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:32 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
My yard is about 90% centipede, but I have a small patch of compadre zoysia that I started about 4 years ago. It has spread fairly slowly for me (compared to centipede). Compared to southern grasses like centipede and st Augustine, it's fairly fine textured and soft. It does turn a brighter shade of golden tan during the winter though, which looks a little odd compared to the rest of the yard which is a darker tan.

Old 06-08-2021, 10:29 AM

7 posts, read 10,322 times
The most likely reason there are waves and slopes is probably because it was grown from seed vs. established from sod.

NG Turf, a sod farm in northern Georgia, posted an article Sod or Seed that states one of the benefits from sodding your lawn vs seeding is sod produces a more even growth. "Sod farms roll their fields and carefully monitor soil conditions to produce a beautifully even product."

Old 06-09-2021, 06:44 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,124,411 times
The best yards in my neighborhood are zoysia. Just have to make sure you get the right type of zoysia for your yard (light or shade). I"m getting quotes on getting the zoysia sod now. It is a warm season grass that is brown in the winter as is bermuda but when it greens back up in the spring it's beautiful. It's also what the golf courses here all use.
It's thick and helps to squeeze out weeds quite well also.
Plugs can take a couple of yrs to fill in and if you're doing a whole lawn, sodding is really the way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden