Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 03:37 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times

Advertisements

Yep, ashes were the tree of choice when my neighborhood was built, too. It will be a sad, sad day when they're gone, because they're really nice shade trees. Mine is a yellow ash, so it's not particularly striking, but my neighbor has the most beautiful purple ash I've ever seen. It's breath-taking when it turns! Darn those emerald ash borers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 02:46 PM

114 posts, read 192,213 times
I think to help ash trees/and exterimate the pest beetle. we should contact and pressure our local state DNR to do 3 things. 1 build large unheated green houses to grow ash trees. 2 select the strongest healthy seed bearing female ashs to gather seed from. 3 kill ALL ash trees in their native range/ basically wipe them out, like to what people have done to grizzlys and wolves in the lower 48's during the last few centuries.. Cut down on site all ash trees. Make it a crime to have a standing ash on your property as it only helps the beetles.

All trees will be destroyed...... Expect those under protective glass/in seed banks ...... wait a good 50 or 60 years for the em ash borers to die off and replant the ash back to its former glory.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 769 times
Can I replant in the same hole where I removed my infested Emerald Ash???? It had the ash bore and could not be saved. I'm afraid it will spread to another tree???

Old 09-03-2014, 07:58 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evedean View Post
Can I replant in the same hole where I removed my infested Emerald Ash???? It had the ash bore and could not be saved. I'm afraid it will spread to another tree???
Why would you want to plant in the same spot? Unless you pulled out the stump and roots, I would think it would be a difficult place for a new tree to grow. Nonetheless, planting in the same spot--or near it--would not pose additional risks to being infested with Emerald Ash Borer (but you still shouldn't plant another ash tree at this time). The Ash Borer does not transmit a fungus or disease--it actually does physical damage to a tree by tunneling under the bark, essentially girdling the tree and preventing sap from flowing upward...eventually killing the tree.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:44 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Northern Red Oak, Scarlet Oak, Basswood, Blackgum, or Tulip Poplar
I would agree with all of those except Blackgum, which doesn't get nearly as large as an ash or an oak. Swamp White Oak would be beautiful, too.

We put in a fairly good sized Swamp White Oak four years ago, and it's in poor soil at the back of our property. It has grown at a pretty impressive rate and now I wish we had planted it much closer in.

Don't hope for an ash. In Indiana, you probably can't even buy one now, and for good reason. Even the nurseries here in NE Kansas aren't selling them, and the EAB only just arrived last year. It will be many years before ash trees make a comback. Stupid morons and their firewood!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden