U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 09:50 AM

983 posts, read 2,271,574 times

Advertisements

Thanks Cambium, I just hired someone to help me start digging.. $$$$ amazing how much we can spend on having some flowers and veggies.. I will start a thread when they start digging so I can share the changes, before and after..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 10:00 AM

74,129 posts, read 57,498,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
Thanks Cambium, I just hired someone to help me start digging.. $$$$ amazing how much we can spend on having some flowers and veggies.. I will start a thread when they start digging so I can share the changes, before and after..

Yup, I don't even look at the $$ aspect anymore. After a while you learn how to save. Like I used to buy bags of soil every year to fill my pots and till in garden beds. Now it's free with my organic compost. If you have trees save all the leaves. Just pile them somewhere. Don't have trees? Ask your neighbors for their grass clippings and leaves! Free dirt!

Then I learned buying seeds each year is expensive too. So now I save them. Free seeds!

Then I learned buying tomato cages and stakes was expensive. So no I look for someone whos throwing bamboo out or use tree branches or even cut strips of 2x3s in half.

Then I realized I was paying the city too much for water. So I started collecting water in a barrel. Cancelled that idea. Not worth it since we always get rains..and don't have enough barrels

Old 09-26-2014, 02:39 PM

74,129 posts, read 57,498,519 times
Here we are end of September Im usually ripping things out by now prepping for fall/winter. But nope... A warming trend has left the growing season to continue.

Green leaves, new blooms and red tomatoes going into October.

So after a late start we're having a healthy growing season.

Okra, Peppers, Tomatoes, Eggplants, String beans, all still going.

Cucumbers are done.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:58 PM

3,443 posts, read 2,355,939 times
Wow.

Maybe we should't have picked all the tomatoes.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:05 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,365,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Here we are end of September Im usually ripping things out by now prepping for fall/winter. But nope... A warming trend has left the growing season to continue.

Green leaves, new blooms and red tomatoes going into October.

So after a late start we're having a healthy growing season.

Okra, Peppers, Tomatoes, Eggplants, String beans, all still going.

Cucumbers are done.

That's awesome, Cambium! Ever since our first frost two weeks ago, the weather has been nothing short of perfect. Like you, my cucumbers are good as gone (as well as a few tomato plants), but everything else continues to thrive! Lovin' it!

Old 09-26-2014, 03:38 PM

205 posts, read 243,640 times
My eggplant is still going strong. Tomatoes and peppers too!
Attached Thumbnails
My Veggie Garden 2014 (Pics)-image.jpg  

Old 09-27-2014, 08:09 AM

205 posts, read 243,640 times
The red flowers next to the egg plants are zinnias...very tall...zinnias...

Old 09-28-2014, 04:44 PM

40,289 posts, read 49,814,219 times
Here in zone 8, the peppers are only now coming into their own. The most successful plant of the season is unfortunately the little hot peppers, which are too hot to even come close to using up. I just picked two green peppers today and the plants still have flowers. Some of my herbs are going strong, like rosemary, parsley, mint, thyme, oregano and sage.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:42 AM

17,086 posts, read 10,864,669 times
Sadly, my 2014 is done for the year as of yesterday afternoon. A violent hail storm has destroyed everything, including my roof, which is scattered in pieces all about the yard. The whole neighborhood is a disaster. It was the scariest weather I've ever experienced as an adult. On the bright side, I filled a large bucket with cherry tomatoes and peppers yesterday, so we'll be able to enjoy at least a little of Autumn's bounty this week.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:34 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,365,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Sadly, my 2014 is done for the year as of yesterday afternoon. A violent hail storm has destroyed everything, including my roof, which is scattered in pieces all about the yard. The whole neighborhood is a disaster. It was the scariest weather I've ever experienced as an adult. On the bright side, I filled a large bucket with cherry tomatoes and peppers yesterday, so we'll be able to enjoy at least a little of Autumn's bounty this week.
Do you live in the Denver area, random? The S/SE portions of Denver were absolutely hammered yesterday. I live north of town and we got a ton of rain, but no hail, thankfully!

Sorry to hear about your garden, but if it isn't one thing this time of year, it's something else. Time to start planning for next year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden