U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 01:38 PM

983 posts, read 2,277,222 times

Advertisements

Oh I am so jealous.. Soon soon will have all kinds of flowers and a new spanking Organic Veggie garden..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 02:58 PM

17,086 posts, read 10,905,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Do you live in the Denver area, random? The S/SE portions of Denver were absolutely hammered yesterday. I live north of town and we got a ton of rain, but no hail, thankfully!

Sorry to hear about your garden, but if it isn't one thing this time of year, it's something else. Time to start planning for next year!
Yes, I do live in south Denver. I just got done cleaning up the front yard. Tomorrow I'll tackle the garden beds. I'm hopeful that I can save the bottom half of the tomato plants. I'm waiting for the wilting to show me how to prune it. My beautiful thornless raspberries, a new addition this year, are shredded, but I think they'll recover. The squash plants and runner beans are toast. Strangely, the peppers appear to have little damage. My fall lettuce bed and strawberry patch have been decimated. Oh well.

The backyard will have to wait until Thursday. It's going to need a couple of days to dry out and a few more hands to clean up. The spruce trees seem to have come through okay, but it smells like Christmas back there with bits and pieces everywhere. All of the roses have been stripped bare, which is a shame, because they had one more flush in them. I also had an absolutely gorgeous geranium that looks like pesto, but I think I can probably nurse it back to health over the winter.

The roof is a total loss, and the west-facing fence looks like it's been sprayed with buckshot. Neighbors lost all of the screens on the front of their house, but ours came through intact. Some of the trim paint has been chipped and will need re-painted before the cold sets in, but it's pretty minor. Other neighbors lost windows in the storm and had extensive damage to paint and siding, so I'm feeling pretty lucky by comparison.

I was home when the hail started, and it was terrifying. The skies had been dark for awhile, but the hail came on suddenly after an ominous and unusually powerful gust front. There was no time to protect anything. I just ran for the basement and hoped for the best. It sounded like Armageddon.

Last edited by randomparent; 09-30-2014 at 04:27 PM..

Old 10-04-2014, 04:39 PM

74,354 posts, read 57,729,730 times
well, it was a good run. The book closes on the Tomato season today. Picked the last of the tomatoes. Will make an antipasta sauce with the green ones.

Pulling plants tomorrow. Wow time flys!!!! Feels like I just started this thread last month.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:45 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,375,130 times
Cambium those are GORGEOUS. Nicely done! What a pleasure to see how your garden's been doing all season. It'll be exciting to discuss plans for 2015 in just a couple of months. I'll be starting my seeds in late February..

Old 10-05-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Cambium those are GORGEOUS. Nicely done! What a pleasure to see how your garden's been doing all season. It'll be exciting to discuss plans for 2015 in just a couple of months. I'll be starting my seeds in late February..
Thanks! Yup.. I can't even think about that yet. I'm in my fall/winter spirit mode.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:50 PM

As I'm pulling up the plants I'm looking at the roots...

Tomato roots look pretty sad but I guess expected with Clay soil. I Have ton of compost for next year I cant wait to use..

I mean considering the yields and growth of the plant I'm surprised the roots aren't more expansive then this.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:12 PM

I'm still harvesting stuff? Notice the leaves on the ground. ITS OCTOBER.
Last year I also harvest the last of the crops October 19th.

Pretty average weather and so this is pretty normal here. 70s tomorrow!

String Beans in ground since April still producing but I grabbed the last of it.

Lemon Balm and Basil Plants

Bell Peppers

New Blooms on Tomato plant. Wont have time or heat to fruit or ripen so will get pulled too.

These were picked and plant was pulled since it was the last Tomato on there.

Will these ripen? We'll see. I'll leave this one to test how far we can go.

Hot Peppers in all the pots no new blooms so will harvest them all soon and pull the plants.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:26 PM

And I thought I was done with this thread. LOL

Picking ripe figs mid October??

But rest assure everything is gone except 2 Potted tomato plants Im testing out and Bell peppers which are still looking healthy.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:48 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,375,130 times
Cambium, how's the garden now? Are you completely done for the season? We're officially DONE since we went from 69 degrees yesterday morning at 10:00am to 18 degrees less than 4 hours later. It's been in the teens all day today with single digits tonight and tomorrow, then 5-10 degrees below zero tomorrow night. Only one or two days above freezing over the next 7 days. What a wild ride from the record warmth we had in October here along the Front Range!

Can't wait to see what you do next year! It's been awesome to see the progress, beginning to end, of your beautiful garden!

Old 11-11-2014, 09:52 PM

65 posts, read 77,802 times
Beautiful work. Such an inspiration to me. Thank you for all the posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden