U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2014, 10:05 AM

74,239 posts, read 57,652,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Took a couple of garden pics yesterday, let's see if I can get them to show up.

Beans!

Beans are blooming by emeraldmaiden63, on Flickr

Watermelon

Watermelon by emeraldmaiden63, on Flickr
Nice! Watermelon looks great. Wish I had long enough season here (or a sunny spot) to grow it. I did a mini one one time... Not worth the space it took up
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 10:15 AM

6,741 posts, read 7,276,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nice! Watermelon looks great. Wish I had long enough season here (or a sunny spot) to grow it. I did a mini one one time... Not worth the space it took up
Thanks! We are already worrying that it's going to take us down before it's done. I swear, those vines grow a foot a day.

Your garden is just fabulous. We hope to get a good, organized garden going next year. I want to do some raised beds, and maybe trellis some of the viney things. Your garden is an inspiration!

Old 06-29-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Your garden is just fabulous. We hope to get a good, organized garden going next year. I want to do some raised beds, and maybe trellis some of the viney things. Your garden is an inspiration!
Thanks! I appreciate that. I like how we can go back in time and read these posts to see how we did in previous years. Its fun to share and learn.

Looks like some pickling needs to be done soon. These should be ready in few days.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:21 PM

43 posts, read 67,602 times
Your garden is beautiful! We are SE Wisconsin and our peppers are growing well here. Lots of flowers and babies right now, which is a wonderful change from last year. No peppers at all, probably from the lack of rain. We watered extensively but always seemed behind. Same with cukes and zukes; poor last year and doing great this year.

Your pictures are an inspiration, our paths between raised bed are weedy and out of control so we are going to lay down cardboard and step stones like you did and see if we can conquer the weeds! Thank you for posting about your garden. :-)

Old 06-29-2014, 12:57 PM

8,088 posts, read 14,100,558 times
Cambium, I'm curious, do the pickling cukes taste different from "regular" cukes? Or could you just have the pickling ones in a salad, like the regular one? (Probably a silly question, but I'm curious.)

I would love to start a veggie garden as I have a very large back yard ... my problem is that I don't have a break from my job until July. May and June are my craziest months, alas. Maybe next year I will do a better job of planning in advance so I will have time to garden ...

Old 06-29-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizaloo View Post
Your garden is beautiful! We are SE Wisconsin and our peppers are growing well here.

Your pictures are an inspiration, our paths between raised bed are weedy and out of control so we are going to lay down cardboard and step stones like you did and see if we can conquer the weeds! Thank you for posting about your garden. :-)
I wonder if you had warmer temps then me. Even though Im more south by latitude the coastal waters were cold and therefore kept us cold and our soil. Then again, your soil must of been more frozen then here anyway. Finally seeing pepper growth here. A little too late but we'll see.

Thanks for the words. Yeah I love the cardboard idea. Such a pleasure during hot muggy days not to have to weed as much. I never put mulch on them. Who cares. lol Most people look at the garden not the walkway much. Plus the dark brown cardboard now blends with the soil. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Cambium, I'm curious, do the pickling cukes taste different from "regular" cukes? Or could you just have the pickling ones in a salad, like the regular one? (Probably a silly question, but I'm curious.)

I would love to start a veggie garden as I have a very large back yard ... my problem is that I don't have a break from my job until July. May and June are my craziest months, alas. Maybe next year I will do a better job of planning in advance so I will have time to garden ...
To be honest...just like with peppers for some reason I can't identify a taste difference that much. I would say the smaller cukes are sweeter and fresher? I eat them straight up.

Seed starting takes time but to buy some plants all it takes is to water them as long as you got your soil ready to go. Unless you just do them in pots which would require more water cause they get hot and dry faster

Old 06-29-2014, 05:23 PM

40,440 posts, read 49,995,665 times
My garden has been going since March. The tomatoes and herbs are doing OK. I've gotten some strange looking cucumbers, but they taste OK. I've had one hornworm, some squash bugs and some weird spidery bugs that I put garden safe insecticide on today. I have had to pull out my squash plants because they wilted. I got one zucchini and one yellow squash, so I guess I will not try growing them again, since they've never been successful.
Really, all I care about is fresh tomatoes, and they are doing OK.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:22 PM

6,741 posts, read 7,276,827 times
Quote:

We're going to find out the difference between the regular cukes and the pickling ones - besides what the seed packet says, which is that pickling cukes have thinner skins. We planted both this year.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:10 PM

8,088 posts, read 14,100,558 times
Quote:
We're going to find out the difference between the regular cukes and the pickling ones - besides what the seed packet says, which is that pickling cukes have thinner skins. We planted both this year.
I love cucumbers in lots of different kinds of salads ... I wonder if they would grow well up here? I'm in southern New Hampshire, zone 5a.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:42 AM

Quote:
I love cucumbers in lots of different kinds of salads ... I wonder if they would grow well up here? I'm in southern New Hampshire, zone 5a.
Im sure they would. Shorter season but as long as they are started indoors first and kept in sun you'll get some to pick. :-)

Here's a view of my 2 Beds.

Onions are looking good but the more important factor is whats happening underneath. lol

Peppers FINALLY showing growth but this is the tallest one I have. The rest are smaller and weeks behind.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden