U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 10:26 PM

13,176 posts, read 11,523,478 times

Advertisements

I am in love with your garden, Cambium.

It's so well organized and it looks healthy. You are certainly going to have a bountiful harvest.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 02:11 PM

77,820 posts, read 90,672,002 times
Beautiful garden, but my question: where in the heck are all the weeds? I have so many I have just about given up.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:37 PM

74,461 posts, read 57,940,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I am in love with your garden, Cambium.

It's so well organized and it looks healthy. You are certainly going to have a bountiful harvest.
THANKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Beautiful garden, but my question: where in the heck are all the weeds? I have so many I have just about given up.
Thanks! Shhhh don't wake them up! . I was out there twice a week every morning puling them one by one and raking the soil around the plants.

Now that it's in the torching 90s weeds are having a blast without me. . Will get a close-up for you later.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:27 AM

77,820 posts, read 90,672,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
THANKS!

Thanks! Shhhh don't wake them up! . I was out there twice a week every morning puling them one by one and raking the soil around the plants.

Now that it's in the torching 90s weeds are having a blast without me. . Will get a close-up for you later.
Well in case your weeds get lonely we are willing to share and we will even provide the tools to dig them up. You do have to do your own digging. I am trying to convince myself to get out there and get them up, but so far myself isn't listening.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:08 AM

3,451 posts, read 2,389,361 times
Wall-to-wall gardening awesome!

Old 07-03-2014, 12:22 PM

Feels like the tropics here! Not motivated to do anything. Didn't even want to take a picture. LOL

More weeds! Started tilling but gave up after 3 minutes. :-(

My love for cardboard has grown exponentially.

Here are the weeds gone wild

Old 07-04-2014, 07:29 AM

Thunderstorm damage from 35mph wind gust and torrential downpour.
My neighbor using a chainsaw to cut his fallen tree early in the morning.

Nothing a little compost and rope cant fix.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:38 AM

20,545 posts, read 27,574,187 times
Cambium….beautiful garden picks. I hope you didn't have much damage from the winds and rain.

What is the big trellis you have? I started melons for the first time this year and I really need to come up with a trellis plan for next year.

My stepdaughter wants to use a lot of cardboard next year. Are you using it just in the walkways?

Hmm…cukes…I can never taste the difference. I like to pick them all small when the seeds are smaller

Old 07-04-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Cambium….beautiful garden picks. I hope you didn't have much damage from the winds and rain.

What is the big trellis you have? I started melons for the first time this year and I really need to come up with a trellis plan for next year.

My stepdaughter wants to use a lot of cardboard next year. Are you using it just in the walkways?

Hmm…cukes…I can never taste the difference. I like to pick them all small when the seeds are smaller
Oh good, I thought it was just me with the cuke taste similarites. lol

Yeah, just walkways. I always want to do the rest of garden but then I realize cardboard interferes with the watering. Mulch would be best but I never want to spend the extra money for esthetics.

The trellis is awesome but probably wouldn't hold melons. It did hold up huge heavy zucchinis so who knows. I think it can hold up small pumpkins.

It's custom made.

2 4 foot Rebars
3 pieces of 8 foot long 1/2" EMT pipe
2 EMT Elbows
Nylon String

Cut the EMT pieces. I did mine 7 feet tall. 6 feet wide. So cut 2 pieces 7 feet. 1 piece 6 feet. Attach elbows at top. Now you have the posts ready.

Find a location for the trellis and Drive the rebars in ground (this is key to whole thing). Hammer them down 2 feet let 2 feet stick up. The side posts of the EMT will go on top of them so Before you drive them in make sure you match the posts to where your driving them into the ground.

Slide the left and right posts onto the rebar. The EMT does not have to go in ground. The rebars are preventing the trellis from falling over.

Now have fun stringing the entire thing with 4" squares. Make it tight. I do horizontals first then verticles. Loop around the horizontal string. (hard to explain but you'll trial and error with it).

Old 07-06-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
May 2014 Weather Summary:

Rain Total: 4.39" (above normal)
Highest Temp: 83.9°F (5/26)
Lowest Temp: 42.1°F (5/29)
Mean Temp: 60.1°

High Temps:
4 Days in the 50s
12 days in the 60s
11 days in the 70s
4 days in the 80s

Low Temps:
0 nights in the 30s
13 nights in the 40s
17 night in the 50s
1 night in the 60s

Warm month thanks to the warm lows mostly. In fact it was the first time Bridgeport did not go below 47°F once in May since 1948. Not humid at all, dewpoints stayed comfortable and dry a lot. Highs were chilly and many days felt cool until end of the month.

Everything seems to be couple weeks behind recent years. Potatoes doing great!
June 2014 Weather Summary:

Rain Total: 4.58" (slightly above)
Highest Temp: 89.3°F (6/26)
Lowest Temp: 47.0°F (6/1)
Mean Temp: 68.2°

High Temps:
0 days in the 50s
3 days in the 60s
12 days in the 70s
15 days in the 80s

Low Temps:
0 nights in the 30s
3 nights in the 40s
19 nights in the 50s
9 night in the 60s

Wet first half. Dry second half. Not muggy at all. Very dry. No blight issues whatsoever. No temps in the 90s.

Picked 10 cucumbers. 2 String Beans. VERY slow start for everything. Soil was still cold underneath until Mid June!

Peppers were stunted and not growing until end of June when it warmed up.
Tomatoes finally started fruiting and blooming but not even at mature size yet. All green

Did my first pickle canning.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden