Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 12:05 PM

54 posts, read 85,652 times

Advertisements

We have a nice sized backyard that slopes toward the house. We recently purchased a (really) large swing set. I should've measured it before ordering, but it is massive.

I made the stupid mistake of having them install it in the center of the yard. And now it looks terrible.

The installers have agreed to move it for me, but now I'm anxious about making a decision as to where to actually put it. The company I bought it off of came out and measured and gave me some options, but I'm still wavering. I'm considering moving it to the back right corner in the mulched area, or off to the side, parallel with the fence. Here are a couple of my concerns/considerations.

1) Safety/Useability: Is it safe to put a play set under lots of trees? These trees lose their branches often and usually it's just a small twig or branch but sometimes there are huge chunks that come down in a strong wind. I keep my daughter out of that area when winds are blustery.

Also, there is some poison ivy in the back in the mulch area. Also, I worry about my daughter not "venturing" back there as often.

There is a tree that will likely need to be cut down to give the proper clearance.

2) Aesthetics: I think it will look better tucked in away in the back corner rather than smack dab in the middle or even off to the side.

3) Cost: If I put it in the middle of my yard, I need to edge/use edging and fill with playground mulch...which is costly. If I put in the back, there is already a 2-3" layer of mulch, so I will just need to add some fresh. The are is already edged and the mulch stays in nicely.

3) Future yard use: In the future, I want to do some more landscaping in the back where the mulch is and leave the yard area open for play.

I hope these pictures show what areas I'm considering
Attached Thumbnails
Location of play set in large yard-back-yard.jpg   Location of play set in large yard-back3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 06:29 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
Just leave it, it looks good and it doesn't block your view, its close enough to the house and you don't need to spend anything - think about it !!!

Old 04-08-2014, 06:51 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
If you really hate the location, I would simply turn it parallel to the fence and move it a bit closer to that fence.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
Just leave it, it looks good and it doesn't block your view, its close enough to the house and you don't need to spend anything - think about it !!!
I need to put mulch underneath for safety, at the very least. Grass is too compact for a 6' fall, especially for toddler.

And I don't have to pay to have it moved, so there isn't an expense there.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:58 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
I would either put it parallel with the fence on the right or have it at an angle in one of the rear corners. I also would want to ensure that the slide isn't in full sun all day otherwise it might be too hot for children to play on.

Beautiful yard :-)

Old 04-08-2014, 08:18 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
I'm not sure how much you can value my opinion since I don't have kids, but I'd move it far away from the deck. The kids should be able to play and give you some peace and quiet. I think on the right side close to the fence is ok.

Yes you're right that tree branches can be dangerous. Every once in a while someone is killed by a falling branch during a storm etc. So the part that is not directly under trees may be a good idea. I'd also be inclined to landscape around it or plant something there and put in a path so you don't have to walk on grass to get to the playset.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:29 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I also like the idea of putting it off to the right. And I don't like the idea of putting it all the way at the back. It would be easier to keep an eye on your child/children, if they're within earshot. Plus you'll be able to hear them say things like, "Go ahead, climb to the top and try to walk across it like a tight-wire act" and nip such activities in the bud he he.

I cringe at the words fung shui, but there's some truth to how the eye travels over a space. Having the playset in the middle of the yard wrecks the space, in my opinion. That's not scientific, but when I look at it, it's like it's screaming that the entire backyard is The Playground. Having the playground AREA over to the right, leaves the rest of the yard to be enjoyed in a different manner.

I don't know if that made sense to anybody besides me lol! But, I also vote for putting it off to the right, and where you can keep an eye...and ear...on the kids.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I'm not sure how much you can value my opinion since I don't have kids, but I'd move it far away from the deck. The kids should be able to play and give you some peace and quiet. I think on the right side close to the fence is ok.

Yes you're right that tree branches can be dangerous. Every once in a while someone is killed by a falling branch during a storm etc. So the part that is not directly under trees may be a good idea. I'd also be inclined to landscape around it or plant something there and put in a path so you don't have to walk on grass to get to the playset.
I certainly value opinions even from those without children. Thank you.

Ok - glad I'm not hyper analyzing the tree branch issue. I mean, maybe I am, but it's possible branch could come down and really severely injure a kid or adult. The other thing I was thinking with tree debris is damage to the play set itself. I don't really want to have to make repairs to the set.

I will definitely do some landscaping around it. I think it looks out of place enough already...it needs tied into the rest of the yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I also like the idea of putting it off to the right. And I don't like the idea of putting it all the way at the back. It would be easier to keep an eye on your child/children, if they're within earshot. Plus you'll be able to hear them say things like, "Go ahead, climb to the top and try to walk across it like a tight-wire act" and nip such activities in the bud he he.

I cringe at the words fung shui, but there's some truth to how the eye travels over a space. Having the playset in the middle of the yard wrecks the space, in my opinion. That's not scientific, but when I look at it, it's like it's screaming that the entire backyard is The Playground. Having the playground AREA over to the right, leaves the rest of the yard to be enjoyed in a different manner.

I don't know if that made sense to anybody besides me lol! But, I also vote for putting it off to the right, and where you can keep an eye...and ear...on the kids.
I totally agree with you and understand exactly what you mean. It needs to be incorporated into the yard better. I love having things for my kid(s) (I'm expecting) to play with, but their toys/play things, ehhh..not so much. Having a pleasant looking yard that isn't all plastic kid junk is nice, too.

I am having my landscaper come back out and talk to me about how to rearrange the back mulch area and maybe tie into the playground area (if I do indeed move it to the side, which I am leaning towards). Perhaps getting rid of that huge swath of mulch in the back and doing some grass, or a path or something.

Thank you for all the help and feedback!

Old 04-09-2014, 01:01 PM

15 posts, read 26,314 times
keep it in a sunny mowed area! I like how it looks now. We are getting our yard ready (new build- yard is currently mud and stumps) and we will put our kids big playset really close to the house I a sunny spot. I like where your is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden