Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 08:37 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'm going to snag some ferns from a nearby woods and set up a little campground for the grand kids.
You shouldn't go destroying ferns in their natural setting. I take it that the woods aren't yours either, so you'd be stealing as well. Some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 09:13 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingaway View Post
Hi,
I am new to gardening and lawn care. The front of our house is atrocious. I have a huge oak tree with leaves and acorns everywhere. Grass does not grow in that area. I don't know if I should just cover the entire area w/ mulch or have the oak removed. I really just want a neat front yard.
Texas has some of the most beautiful native plants that could be placed in that area. Look for a Master Gardener in your area to help you layout a design under that tree. I know they used to do it for free but not sure if they still are. They can even teach you how to conserve water with amendments and native plant choices. Remember water is on restriction so you want to plant accordingly.

PS
Most TX native plants only need 2" to 4 " of water A YEAR. That will help with your water bill for sure.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:21 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,754,455 times
Mondo grass fits the bill, it seems to me:

HGIC 1110 Mondo Grass : Extension : Clemson University : South Carolina

And when the leaves fall off the tree, it seems to me that they could be just blown off the foliage of the mondo grass with a blower, then raked up....or even, just blow them straight down into the foliage where they wouldn't show and let them rot and add to the soil. With live oaks this would be easier to do because, as someone else said, they don't lose all their leaves at once in a big wad.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:25 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Many folks plant Cast Iron plants around the base of Live oaks, but I wouldn't fill up the whole area in the OP's pic with them. Maybe a ring of Cast Iron plant around the trunk, then something else a little farther out.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:58 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
You shouldn't go destroying ferns in their natural setting. I take it that the woods aren't yours either, so you'd be stealing as well. Some people.
^^ This.

Ferns are beautiful, but native ferns have precise growing condition requirements, which can be hard to duplicate in a garden. If you like the woodsy look, I'd suggest checking with a garden center which specializes in shade plants - they will have ferns that will work for you, and they're not all that costly, unless you want really big ones.

Christmas fern is evergreen (more or less), native to much of the eastern U.S., and probably the hardiest of the native ferns. Japanese painted fern is perennial (not evergreen) and has very attractive foliage that blends well with American native ferns. Ostrich ferns are big suckers and make a splashy appearance, but are not evergreen. There are many others, but these are probably the easiest to find in garden centers. Boston ferns are also nice, but must be treated as annuals in most of the U.S. - they're the ones which are often used in hanging baskets.

Jack's point about the ownership of the woods is worth noting, too. I'd be pretty unhappy to find someone helping themselves to plants from my own woods.

However - there's always an exception! If the woods in question are about to be cut down for some (probably stupid) reason, ask the foreman if you can dig plants. A friend of mine rescued some beautiful wildflowers from an area about to be flooded by a dam a good many years ago. She researched their growing requirements, planted them in a shady area on the northeast side of her house, watered them well, and had a nice trillium grandiflora colony to show for her efforts.

Back to the oak tree: OP, you've received some good advice. Cherish your nice tree, if it's healthy, learn what variety of oak it is, see what its natural environment is like and what its requirements are (it's probably very happy where it is, since it's a mature tree now), walk around your new neighborhood and see if you can spot others, then see how the property owners deal with them.

Oak trees of many kinds tend to have leaves with a lot of tannin, which means the leaves deteriorate very slowly, and often remain on the tree until the new leaves push them off the following spring, meaning that you may have an ongoing job to keep up with leaf removal, if that's your goal. But - if leaves are left to lie, as on a forest floor, they eventually will break down (yes, even sturdy and tenacious oak leaves) and will enrich the soil and help feed other woodland plants. Your oak tree may not be a forest tree, which is why getting it identified is important to clarify your options. It's clearly not growing in a forest now, so letting its fallen leaves remain on the ground may not be the best option.

If you're in Texas, you can expect hot, dry summers, so some of the otherwise lovely ground covers that have been suggested might not work well for you. Again, get your tree properly identified and hie yourself to a good garden center, or check with your county agent. Liriope might work well as a ground cover, but I'm not that familiar with what grows well in Texas, so ask locally.

Good luck to you, and congratulations on your new home.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:18 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,250 times
Quote:
Hi,
I am new to gardening and lawn care. The front of our house is atrocious. I have a huge oak tree with leaves and acorns everywhere. Grass does not grow in that area. I don't know if I should just cover the entire area w/ mulch or have the oak removed. I really just want a neat front yard.
Okay the website to learn more about Texas native plants is txsmartscape.com. There are many planned courses throughout the metroplex. I'll be attending the DIY drip irrigation class and the Weston Texas native plant sale this month. Wishing you the best gardening...I typically spend my weekends in my yard its so relaxing especially this time of year

Last edited by eyewrist; 04-05-2014 at 06:13 PM..

Old 04-05-2014, 06:10 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,042 times
Put down a lot of mulch, and it will look nice. You already have a border of monkey grass, so I'm guessing it's supposed to be a flower bed.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:06 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,352,667 times
Quote:
LOL...I came from an apartment. First time homeowner. Yes, I am dramatic. I like everything neat. Thanks for the advice.
Gardening is rarely perfectly neat, and when it is, it's a royal pain. You look at a manicured garden, see one thing out of place, and you feel compelled to go neaten it up again. Things grow: your plants, your weeds, tree seedlings -- it all grows. You have a very lovely spot there, a prime opportunity to create a peaceful woodsy looking garden bed. So LEAVE THE TREE. Oaks are treasures. Take the advice given you here and (1) create a clean slate by removing anything that's dead or dying, (2) trimming what you decide to keep, and (3) planting some shade plants. You can even put in some pretty containers of shade loving colorful flowers for summer, but be advised, they will need to be watered almost every day.

Lastly, get used to Nature being Nature. It can be messy, but IMO, sometimes Nature's mess is more beautiful than anything we can create. In the history of landscape design, there were the French, who decided to exert control over their environment and created tightly controlled gardens. English royalty took it up, too. But country folk went with a different approach because they were poor, and that's how we got the wonderful cottage-garden concept. Let go. There is no need to control every part of your garden. And enjoy it instead!

Old 04-06-2014, 03:32 PM

114 posts, read 192,322 times
if you go into woods and dig up native ferns any one of us on here could look up your profile and report this to the local DNR and have you arrested. BAD.... BAD idea.

Many native plants are in steep decline BECAUSE of the idiotic things people do...... as others have said leave the ferns be and learn about what plants grow well in your site.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:53 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsmylove View Post
if you go into woods and dig up native ferns any one of us on here could look up your profile and report this to the local DNR and have you arrested. BAD.... BAD idea.

Many native plants are in steep decline BECAUSE of the idiotic things people do...... as others have said leave the ferns be and learn about what plants grow well in your site.
LOL thanks for that. My neighbor actually suggested that instead of buying ferns, I go dig some up from a neighboring property. I was too shocked to say anything. Luckily there are lots of nurseries and many ferns multiply readily. There's no need to steal them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden