Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 01:58 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times

Advertisements

like many things it seems the price of potting soil is skyrocketing. over the weekend i spotted a 40 lb. bag at a local nursery for 35 dollars! granted, it was top of the line stuff, but geez...

what's a good alternative for a fairly large volume raised bed garden? topsoil? used mushroom compost?

one of the things i planned to try is this, but that will only help somewhat.

https://www.offthegridnews.com/survi...ncestors-used/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2022, 02:35 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,214,417 times
If you’re growing things for food, spend more for safer, organic stuff. Many of the cheap stuff uses wastes that have chemicals and other unhealthy stuff in it.

Old 05-17-2022, 02:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
I just got some from Costco, $9 for a 50 quart bag and it was by Miracle Gro. That's about what I paid for half as much last year at Lowe's.

Old 05-17-2022, 03:24 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
If you’re growing things for food, spend more for safer, organic stuff. Many of the cheap stuff uses wastes that have chemicals and other unhealthy stuff in it.
that's the thing - i don't want to spend more.

your post reminded me of a time i almost put' biosolids' in my garden - the town i was living in was giving away for free. very glad i decided not to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I just got some from Costco, $9 for a 50 quart bag and it was by Miracle Gro. That's about what I paid for half as much last year at Lowe's.
that's a pretty good price for 2 cubic feet. it's $16.47 at home depot. unfortunately i don't have a costco membership. amazon has a similar price as home depot.

Old 05-17-2022, 03:31 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,232,887 times
I make my own potting soil, with 1/3 coco coir, perlite, and compost.

Old 05-17-2022, 03:46 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,082,704 times
Old times we used peat, perlite, vermiculite, and sand. But most wouldn’t get the proportions right today and it truly depends on the exact materials available.

Old 05-17-2022, 03:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
that's the thing - i don't want to spend more.

your post reminded me of a time i almost put' biosolids' in my garden - the town i was living in was giving away for free. very glad i decided not to do that.

that's a pretty good price for 2 cubic feet. it's $16.47 at home depot. unfortunately i don't have a costco membership. amazon has a similar price as home depot.
It's probably not worth joining just for that, but perhaps you have a local friend or relative that will take you along next time they go? You could try a bulk seller and bring boxes or bags. They sell by the yard and will deliver, but may also offer bags of it, or let you fill your own containers. You would have to call to check prices. They never post prices, so they probably change a lot.

Old 05-17-2022, 04:01 PM

83,498 posts, read 75,223,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post

I loved buying those big bags there. Fills up a lot of pots but I didn't this year and trying to get into the groove of making my own.

Quote:
like many things it seems the price of potting soil is skyrocketing. over the weekend i spotted a 40 lb. bag at a local nursery for 35 dollars! granted, it was top of the line stuff, but geez...

what's a good alternative for a fairly large volume raised bed garden? topsoil? used mushroom compost?

Think about doing a compost pile somewhere or have a family/friend do it.

The other thing you can do is make your own. Still have to buy the material but it should cost less as a whole. Time to watch some YouTube videos on how to make your own soil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I make my own potting soil, with 1/3 coco coir, perlite, and compost.
Yup. For potting soil I'm doing peat Moss, compost, Perlite, Vermiculite

If it is going in the ground, then I mix in some clay soil to give it a micronutrient boost. And I always add some liquid or granular fertilizer

Old 05-17-2022, 04:06 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,940,539 times
I'm doing only container gardening this year. I used all my old soil from containers I grew in last year, combined it in equal proportions to a new bag of potting soil, my own compost and added a few handfuls of perlite per container. So far everything is growing wonderfully and I didn't have to buy more than one bag of soil.

Old 05-17-2022, 04:29 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,340 times
Quote:

one of the things i planned to try is this, but that will only help somewhat.

https://www.offthegridnews.com/survi...ncestors-used/
Here’s what you do. Start your own compost pile and take care of it. In a year’s time you should have a nice start rot filling those raised beds. In the meantime, by a few large bags of good quality garden soil. Poke a bunch of wholes in it to aid with drainage. Some bags have a grid printed on them already, but if not simply use a Sharpie and draw a grid on one side of the bag. Poke a hole where you want to add a seed or plant. You’ll be amazed at how well veggies grow using this method. After you harvest the veggies, simply empty the contents of the bag in your raised beds and you have a good start on filling them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden