Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:44 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,754,455 times

Advertisements

I use newspaper all the time, even to lay down on solid grassy areas to kill the grass. I just lay down the paper, wet it down enough to keep the wind from blowing it away, then cover it with mulch (pine straw in my case).

You do have to make sure you use several layers, though....I use at least 4, but even more would be good, especially if you're putting it over existing grass.

Worms love it, and they enrich the soil for when you're ready to plant.

If you're ready to plant as soon as you put the paper down, then just cut holes in the paper and plant right through it.

When I first moved to my house and was working on making places to plant, I had access to a neighbor's pile of leaves/grass clippings. I would put down paper, then the leaves/grass clippings mix, then mulch....you never saw such beautiful dirt in your life as I found in a few months under all that. And worms as big as small snakes! LOL

I had to haul all that stuff a pretty long way in a garden cart, one load at a time (probably made 10 trips!), as we didn't have a truck then. Now that we have a truck, he's built a shed in front of where I got it and it's hard to get to. Maybe he moved the place where he puts it...I need to go ask! That was some great soil-building material.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 07:35 PM

915 posts, read 1,625,414 times
Another vote for newspaper and cardboard, with the newspaper being easier to manipulate and plant additional items. Like others, I covered the newspaper with mulch.

Just tonight I was checking beds and noticed a lot of grass had broken through the few beds that did have landscape fabric. The grass had actually created holes in the fabric! Glad I had done most of the areas in the newspaper.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:56 PM

983 posts, read 2,542,407 times
I used newspapers, as most said, it's easy to put and great way to get your ground going. I moved to a new place and will be doing this comes fall to start my garden.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:35 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
you should avoid colored inks in the newspapers you put down and of course none of the glossy adds and magazines. Just put down several sheets of black and white newspapers.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:12 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Cardboard works for me especially for vegetable garden.. Notice where I didn't overlap the boards the weeds are coming through but no weeds/grass underneath the cardboard. And it breaks down by the end of the crop season. Win Win.

For a flower/shrub bed in front of house I would use weed blocking paper and mulch on top..It will Last several years and water will penetrate through to water your shrubs.

Garbage bags horrible idea. Newspapers break down too quick. Rubber mats not good either.

I didn't add mulch on top. Who cares its in backyard.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:17 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
some people actually have good luck with carpet scraps. They don't decompose or fly away in a gust. They look back but it works and is a good way to get a garden patch ready.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:55 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,914,536 times
Cambium,
Boy, those radishes look real good.
You'll be having some good veggies this year.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:12 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,439,663 times
I don't know anyone who still gets a paper newspaper. I just mulch. And weed. And Roundup.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:46 PM

177 posts, read 338,658 times
Before you start Find some 4-6 mil black plastic the size of the garden, Cut the grass real short and put the plastic on the ground and keep it close to the soil with weight or spikes. Let the sun shine on it for a few days it will burn off the grass roots and all. after that if you can use a burn torch to remove the residue of the grass. It gets rid of the seeds that are there. Then if you want you can till the soil and replace the plastic to sterilize the soil with the suns heat. if you have the time you might wait a week with the plastic off between the steps so the weed seeds that you just exposed can germinate.

This is the green way of doing it You can substitute roundup for the plastic steps to kill the green plants Just remember that roundup only kills growing plants not seeds.

With the black plastic the soil temp can get to 160 degf during a sunny day. After the second step you can place the plastic on the garden and mulch over it. if you don't want the plastic on the ground ,place cardboard or multiple layers of paper on the tilled soil (my preference) and mulch heavy 3-4" before planting through the mulch. for seed rows spread the mulch and plant in the trough.

If your preparing next years garden plot place your compost-leaves-grass clippings between soil and mulch. they will breakdown during the late fall/winter/early spring.

with cardboard/paper after the first mulch you don't need to till again just add mulch and nutrients on the top. Checkout the "Back to Eden" method on You Tube.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:04 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmenn2014 View Post
Checkout the "Back to Eden" method on You Tube.
Everyone should do this. There is a spiritual aspect to the video that you can take or leave, but the method is sound and also works for athiests, agnostics, pagans and heathens.

Back to Eden Film - Watch Back to Eden Film Organic Gardening Documentary for Free

I took wispy, defoliated, yellow-leaved citrus growing in terrible Houston gumbo and turned them into dense, stout, dark-green, productive trees with this method. After my raised beds really got going I've had the most incredible tomatoes, dino kale, chard, brocolli, spinach, etc. etc. It works.

About the black plastic, I've known timber farmers in East Texas that did something similar after felling all their standing timber. They lay a down an enormous amount of black plastic, poke their pines into the proper dispersion, then plant watermelon at the base of every pine. The heat and moisture retention of the plastic makes the pines grow a bit faster, chokes out all the weeds and trash tree volunteers and makes the watermelons grow to giant proportions. By the time the plastic degrades, the pines have enough of a head start to shade out any competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden