U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 08:34 PM

5 posts, read 20,567 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know if i need to winterize a 9ft windmill palm here on long island. I bought five of them and planted them last week. I know its only april but i figured i would get some ideas early. I know to mulch it very well but should i wrap the trunk and tie up the fronds and cover the crown, its pretty tall. Any help is appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 07:33 AM

4,446 posts, read 8,723,264 times
I would skip wrapping trunk/covering frond crown...
Pretty hardy: many net sites talk of it being applicable to Zone 7b, some say 7a, a few sites suggest hardy even to 6b/a, fwiw. Microclimates offer varying local conditions.

Do some noodling on GOOG.

9 ft palms of nearly any species require some decent staking the first year, and some luck at that size/age.
And hopefully the fronds were not cut back too much when bought and planted. Some joints cut the frond fans back to 'stimulate root growth'; others cut back less.
GL, mD

Old 04-17-2014, 10:12 AM

14,174 posts, read 24,318,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKKIBATS View Post
Does anybody know if i need to winterize a 9ft windmill palm here on long island. I bought five of them and planted them last week. I know its only april but i figured i would get some ideas early. I know to mulch it very well but should i wrap the trunk and tie up the fronds and cover the crown, its pretty tall. Any help is appreciated.
Doesn't that depend on how cold it's going to get? I would think that if it's going to stay above 20 degrees, you'd be ok. They're the hardiest of palms.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:45 PM

Location: In climate zone Cfa/hardiness zone 8a /zip code 76131
3,932 posts, read 2,489,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Doesn't that depend on how cold it's going to get? I would think that if it's going to stay above 20 degrees, you'd be ok. They're the hardiest of palms.
I guess Long Island and New York City are about to become Tropical, because the Al Gore Global Warming Alarmists say so. Go Figure, Palm Trees Lining the streets of Long/Staten Island, New York. Otherwise, I agree with the other two posters on this thread forum.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:54 PM

7,305 posts, read 24,588,734 times
My 5 year old windmill palms were toasted here in zone 7a this past winter... thanks to low temperatures running 30° below normal at least 4 different times. I hope they recover, but I doubt it.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:15 PM

Thanks for your replies, that is what i am afraid of, a brutal winter like this past winter. i thought if i bought more mature trees they might be able to take a very cold winter.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:41 AM

14,174 posts, read 24,318,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKKIBATS View Post
Thanks for your replies, that is what i am afraid of, a brutal winter like this past winter. i thought if i bought more mature trees they might be able to take a very cold winter.
How cold did it get? I would think LI would be a little protected from extreme cold, what with being surrounded by water (that warms the winter air).

Old 03-13-2015, 07:12 AM

Default March 2015

I have posted some pics of my wind mill palms after they were just unwrapped. They look burnt but the guy who wrapped them for me said considering this was the coldest winter here on long island in thirty years, they look like they survived. The spear in the center of every tree doesnt pull out and is a little green, everything else meaning the fronds are burnt. Any opinions as to if they will survive. I hope they do.Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150313_001.jpg
Views:	3974
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	146195

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150313_003.jpg
Views:	1038
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	146196

Name:	WP_20150313_005.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	146197

Name:	WP_20150313_002.jpg
Views:	969
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	146198

Name:	WP_20150313_004.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	146199

Old 03-13-2015, 08:51 AM

1,566 posts, read 987,921 times
well, they look pretty frazzled right now (and rightly so because of the brutal winter). that said, see if there is any green at all on the crown bud---the central point at the top of the trunk where all the new leaves will come from---if you see some, that's a good sign. nevertheless, I would advise patience and wait until at least early to mid summer to see if any new leaves start to unfurl. for aesthetic reasons I would suggest removing the completely dead leaves in late april/early may---but right now they may offer some protection for the crown bud against cold winds and should be retained (until reliable warmer weather returns) for that reason.

FWIW, semi-tender/borderline plants (especially relatively newly planted stuff) are best planted in protected spots (possibly behind a screen/windbreak of other hardy plants or in the shelter of a building or other structure) against cold winter winds particularly) for optimum survival. sometimes this need for protection gets trumped by the gardener's desire to put certain rare or showy plants in the "place of honor" in an exposed site where everybody else can see and admire---which may also be the worst spot for the plant because of a lack of protection against heat or cold or winds or all of the above. sometimes it may be better to "hide" your special plants of uncertain hardiness in a spot where less people may see and less harsh weather can reach. (this is a general suggestion which may not apply to you at all, BTW).

hopefully all will be well for your plants. good luck.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:43 AM

A guy who sells them and knows about them said he thinks they should come back also said the same thing wait until mid april then prune the dead fronds and fertilize and by memorial day i should start seeing new growth i am keeping my fingers crossed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or