Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 03:04 PM

64 posts, read 82,927 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else here has aquarium tank and use it to water plants?

I've always wasted my aquarium water when doing regular changes until a few days ago I read it is a great natural fertilizer.

How often can I use it in my plants? Is there any plants who would not like to be watered with fish waste?
I don't know what exactly fish water contains that is beneficial for plants..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 04:02 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
should not be a problem... use as much as you have. Fish waste is nitrogen which plants like.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I would not use it for indoor houseplants, only outside in order to avoid attracting pests. I only use inorganic indoors (MiracleGro). The reason for changing aquarium water is to remove the high concentration of ammonia, which will burn their fins. If you have not changed the water in more than a couple of months the concentration may burn roots if not diluted 50/50 with fresh water.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:00 PM

64 posts, read 82,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I would not use it for indoor houseplants, only outside in order to avoid attracting pests. I only use inorganic indoors (MiracleGro). The reason for changing aquarium water is to remove the high concentration of ammonia, which will burn their fins. If you have not changed the water in more than a couple of months the concentration may burn roots if not diluted 50/50 with fresh water.
My tank is established and has beneficial bacteria, so levels of ammonia and nitrite are zero. I change the water mostly to clean the gravel and bring the nitrates level down. Also the fish seems to like a bit of new water now and then - it is like rainfall and they get stimulated to lay eggs.

I never really though using indoors could attract pests. It a great point

Old 03-23-2015, 09:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,222 times
it is great for lawns..
I had 4 fish tanks and regularly changed 30% water and poured it in my small front yard lawn.
This lawn always had problems as it was shaded by the house and trees.
not long after I started using the used fish tank water the lawn became "superlawn"
It grew twice as fast as the backyard grass and was greener.
also the plants along fence and lawn in front started booming..
my neighbors started asking what I was doing...
I use to pour the water down the sink, but thought it might help lawn..
wow and the weeds stopped..maybe the grass choked them out..
I never watered my lawn or used and fertilizer on my lawn except this tank water but this was more than being watered..
funny after I moved and bought a new house I drive by old house and that front half of lawn is back to
poor growing moss laiden lawn..lol they dont know my secret..

Old 03-24-2015, 03:40 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Did for years when I had tanks. Never had a pest problem with indoor plants.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:34 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
I had a large tank but couldn't use the water. Although it was fresh water, I did add salt as a supplement for the fish

Old 03-24-2015, 07:55 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
We use to...had a 220gal aquarium before we downsized, the plants right outside the window that we drained our 1/4 tank into when adding fresh water REALLY loved it!

Old 03-27-2015, 11:18 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,766 times
That is the secret of great plants that most pond owners understand.
Boy, your plants will grow great!
Most pond owners change water in the pond too, and distribute it to plantings.
The pond is worth it just for that! LOL!
Which reminds me, I have to buy some more fish this year. The more fish,
the better the water is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden