Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 05:19 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times

Advertisements

I'm sure most of us know who ran off the latest extremely knowledgeable and generous poster. And she knows who she is. It's a real shame and we are all worse off because of her absence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
People being run off in the garden section? This is just about the only section of C-D where everyone is nice. (Recipe section is also usually pretty nice).

I just think that a person needs a thick skin in order to play on a forum. If a person is unpleasant, everyone else notices it and nobody is blaming the "victim" or thinking less of them.

After going all the way around the block with that, I agree with you, OP. Not only is it rude, it is also not smart to offend the experts to the point that they refuse to post any more.
You'd be surprised.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:07 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
I like having a place to learn about plants and gardening. I have not had a bad experience on the gardening forum, but I'm more of a lurker here.

I learn through trial and error which plants do great in Houston. It can be expensive to do that, but I am obsessed with plants

Old 05-02-2014, 06:26 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Got nipped yesterday.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:54 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Its a jungle out thar.

BTW I'M still here.

Planted about 100 more red tipped photinia this year. Looking to hit 500 or more by years end just for the haters.

That's how I pay back the snarkfest.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:18 AM

OK Bulldogdad. We've established we live on opposite sides of the country and your red tips aren't hit with many of the diseases we have here on the east coast. So I won't get into rep tip "discussion" with you again. Happy Planting. Carry on and smoke em if you got em.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:23 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
OK Bulldogdad. We've established we live on opposite sides of the country and your red tips aren't hit with many of the diseases we have here on the east coast. So I won't get into rep tip "discussion" with you again. Happy Planting. Carry on and smoke em if you got em.
Your so sweet.

Here I got you some flowers.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:32 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
There is a tendency to limit knowledge to what can be found in a link. How often have you seen it posted, no link, it doesn't exist? Or, if you say something you know from experience, that matters little, what has been copied and pasted over and over from a single source that can be verified becomes fact.

It might sound strange but there were a lot of people born before the Internet and many of those people learned a lot of things. They might not have "links" for everything they talk about but why should that matter? The Internet is not the total sum knowledge of anything.

I do admit to being one of the "snarky" ones but you know, the world goes around because of different people, not because everyone is the same. Snarky is one thing, malicious quite another.

I've come here (Garden) mostly to read what others have to say, there is so much helpful knowledge here and most all of it comes from experience, something so lacking these days of Internet knowledge. If all we ever do is limit ourselves to was is on the Internet, we've doomed ourselves to becoming less and less knowledgeable every day.

The person who goes out every day and puts their hands in some dirt knows more than anyone that sits behind a keyboard readings links all day.

Of all the forums on CD, this is the best one.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Your so sweet.

Here I got you some flowers.
Oh You shouldn't have. Got a big ole belly laugh out of this. Many thanks. BTW looking forward to learning what feast you will fix for Mother's Day.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
There is a tendency to limit knowledge to what can be found in a link. How often have you seen it posted, no link, it doesn't exist? Or, if you say something you know from experience, that matters little, what has been copied and pasted over and over from a single source that can be verified becomes fact.

It might sound strange but there were a lot of people born before the Internet and many of those people learned a lot of things. They might not have "links" for everything they talk about but why should that matter? The Internet is not the total sum knowledge of anything.

I do admit to being one of the "snarky" ones but you know, the world goes around because of different people, not because everyone is the same. Snarky is one thing, malicious quite another.

I've come here (Garden) mostly to read what others have to say, there is so much helpful knowledge here and most all of it comes from experience, something so lacking these days of Internet knowledge. If all we ever do is limit ourselves to was is on the Internet, we've doomed ourselves to becoming less and less knowledgeable every day.

The person who goes out every day and puts their hands in some dirt knows more than anyone that sits behind a keyboard readings links all day.

Absolutely I agree. And the person who combines years of practical experience in various parts of the country with factual links is the best kind of all. Most of us don't want to take the time to post links and that is fine. But the ones who back up their practical experience knowledge with ferreted out extension service bulletins, horticultural articles, gardening columns etc are only adding to our education and I enjoy it very much. Some of these links I'm too lazy to search for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden