Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 11:15 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times

Advertisements

I saw in the Burpee catalog grafted heirloom veggies, like tomatoes. I thought, well, maybe it's some fancy thing Burpee is trying out. I felt a little creepy about it, but thought, c'est la vie.

Then today I was shopping at a Grocery Outlet here in Redding, CA, and they had a bunch of heirloom tomato plants for sale that were grafted heirloom tomatoes onto hybrid root stock.

The selling point is supposed to be that the heirloom roots are susceptible to insects or other problems. My thinking is, how on earth did it become an heirloom plant, if it was susceptible to dying without a different root stock? I just don't see the logic in this. If the heirloom plant has been around since the 1800's, why on earth would it need a hyrbrid root grafted onto it?

What do you all think? Creepy and scary? Or some great advancement in science?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 08:38 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I haven't seen these new tomato plants. However, grafting itself isn't new science. Plants will sometimes graft themselves naturally. Gardeners have been grafting for thousands of years.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:39 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
I think it COULD be creepy or scary, but that's something that's been done for a very, very long time...grafting a desirable plant or shrub onto a hardier rootstock. In fact, a great many of the "trees" you see in bloom right now...are grafted onto a compatible, more hardy rootstock. Roses also come to mind. :-)

In the tomato world, they've discovered that grafting heirloom toms on a hardier rootstock, allows those tomatoes to produce over a longer period of time, in a wider range of soil conditions. The thing of it is...if the tom is an heirloom variety...and you save seed, you're still going to have the same, original rootstock on your next generation of plants, not the "hardier" rootstock. They have not been genetically modified.....they have been physically modified. :-)

Old 05-04-2014, 08:47 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
I'm not a fan of grafting in general. In the short term it is supposed to produce better plants, but I've seen the result of grafting gone wrong all over my yard. It turns out that the "top" plant tends to die over time, and the bottom (strong and evil) plant takes over.

Grafted roses have left:
multiflora rose - Bad, invasive and unattractive (but smells nice)
Dr Huey Rose - this is actually a decent rose, but it is thorny and gets HUGE. Disease, shade, moisture...nothing kills Dr Huey.

The top roses of these must have died ages ago. These were common rootstocks for a lot of wimpy hybrid roses.

Grafted berries have left:
Wineberries - This is an invasive asian bramble. It is everywhere and a may be a pita to get rid of because it is covered in fine thorns. The upside is that it tastes great and native animals don't touch it. After investigation, I found out that it used to be rootstock for some commercial berries.

Grafted trees have left:
Crabapples - this is my guess. I do love the crabapples but are they native? Do they have disease issues, are they taking over habitat and making life difficult for native plants?

The issue I have with grafting is that in order to get "vigor and disease resistance" the growers seem to use some sort of superhuman frankenplant as the bottom plant. This is great when the graft lives, but if the top plant dies, the bottom takes over and can be bad for the ecology. And then if you don't like it Ha ha ha...good luck killing it.

This may not be an issue for grafted plants in the North, but in the south...what if it gets out and starts producing seeds? And then turns out to be some sort of monster like wineberries and multiflora rose? Before buying these I'd find out what the heck it is they're grafted on.

I'm a little off track on your post, but I'm glad for the opportunity to rant about grafting.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Why would this be creepy of scary? Almost every Japanese Maple or flowering cherry tree that you buy in a nursery has been grafted onto a more disease resistant root stock. On a weeping flowering cherry every branch is grafted onto a trunk that has been grafted onto a different root stock, so in fact parts of 3 trees. Whenever you see an espalier style tree or shrub it has likely been grafted. All English walnut trees sold are grafted onto wild walnut stock. All of my fruit trees are grafted, for example an apple with 3 varieties, another with 4 varieties plus pears on one tree. Grafted tomatoes are a lot more expensive but do a lot better than the typical heirloom tomatoes.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:24 AM

Such great feedback from everyone. Thank you!

It's true that a lot of trees have been grafted onto stronger root stock. Same with wine grapes, I realized when reading your posts.

I guess I've also had experiences like kinkytoes where the evil graft took over - your post cracked me up! Made me think of Little Shop of Horrors with the "cute" man-eating plant lol!

I intend to start saving my seeds, especially the heirloom seeds. I bought heirloom seeds for my outside tomatoes on the patio, and a hybrid cherry I'm growing indoors. I plan to save all the seeds.

Beachmel, are you sure the root stock wouldn't affect the seeds? I wouldn't want to keep the seeds from the grafted heirloom plants. I'd wonder what kind of weird genetic things were happening to those seeds.

I must admit, I think the grafted fruit and citrus trees that give you more than one variety on one tree/shrub are really cool! I've always wanted one, but never did. So cool to get 3 different types of apples off the same tree in a small space.

I guess I keep wondering if the grafted tomato plants' seeds will create some bizarre mutant plants.

The grafted tomato plants I saw at the Grocery Outlet were really tall and skinny with lots of blooms - they were already about 3 feet tall. I was shopping with a friend who wasn't a gardener and she said they looked weird. I said the first thing I'd do is chop them in half so they'd bush out. Don't know if their appearance had anything to do with the root stock. But, they just even looked like mutants to me

Old 05-04-2014, 01:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
Saving seeds from a hybrid will not result in the same variety that it came from, what you will get is unpredictable. Might be fun to see, however. Saving seeds from grafted tomatoes will be just like saving them from an ungrafted
heirloom. Here is some interesting data from one company's comparison of grafted vs ungrafted.

Grafted tomato plants

Old 05-04-2014, 03:32 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I saw in the Burpee catalog grafted heirloom veggies, like tomatoes. I thought, well, maybe it's some fancy thing Burpee is trying out. I felt a little creepy about it, but thought, c'est la vie.

Then today I was shopping at a Grocery Outlet here in Redding, CA, and they had a bunch of heirloom tomato plants for sale that were grafted heirloom tomatoes onto hybrid root stock.

The selling point is supposed to be that the heirloom roots are susceptible to insects or other problems. My thinking is, how on earth did it become an heirloom plant, if it was susceptible to dying without a different root stock? I just don't see the logic in this. If the heirloom plant has been around since the 1800's, why on earth would it need a hyrbrid root grafted onto it?

Seems like a waste of money on an annual. Way less costly to plant a bunch of seeds with the odds some will survive to maturity and fruit.

I always plant heirlooms simply because I'm pld enough to remember them from my younger years. For the Heirloom tomatoes you can get from 100 to several hundred seeds for about $2 and if you can't get 3 or 4 of them to survive, you are a rare person.

The current batch of seeds I bought.

Quote:
Your Order Contains...
Cart Items SKU Qty Item Price Item Total
Beefsteak Tomato
2243 1 $0.50 USD $0.50 USD
Bell Pepper Mix
3100 1 $2.00 USD $2.00 USD
Bibb Butterhead Lettuce
2642 1 $2.00 USD $2.00 USD
Black Krim Tomato
(Quantity Options: Single Pack ($2.00))
1140 1 $2.00 USD $2.00 USD
Black Prince Tomato
574 1 $1.00 USD $1.00 USD
Cherry Belle Radish
2695 1 $1.00 USD $1.00 USD
Chinese Giant Pepper
2277 1 $2.00 USD $2.00 USD
Cichorium intybus - Radicchio, Rossa di Treviso
2807 1 $2.00 USD $2.00 USD
Cucuzzi Italian Edible Gourd
2940 1 $2.00 USD $2.00 USD
Edible Luffa
1980 1 $2.50 USD $2.50 USD
Foeniculum vulgare - Fennel, Mammoth
2809 1 $2.00 USD $2.00 USD
Giant Musselburg Leek
2253 1 $2.00 USD $2.00 USD
Healy's Pride Melon
3256 1 $2.00 USD $2.00 USD
Henderson's Pink Ponderosa Tomato
1798 1 $1.00 USD $1.00 USD
Jalapeno M Pepper
1169 1 $2.00 USD $2.00 USD
Keystone Giant Pepper
2386 1 $0.50 USD $0.50 USD
Lemon Cucumber
531 1 $2.00 USD $2.00 USD
Mesclun Mix
2904 1 $2.00 USD $2.00 USD
Minnesota Midget Melon
2722 1 $2.00 USD $2.00 USD
Moon and Stars Watermelon
1144 1 $2.00 USD $2.00 USD
Mucho Nacho Pepper
2744 1 $3.50 USD $3.50 USD
Physalis pruinosa - Aunt Molly's Ground Cherry
(Quantity Options: Single Pack ($2.00))
1577 1 $2.00 USD $2.00 USD
Pink Oxheart Tomato
2049 1 $1.00 USD $1.00 USD
Poblano L Pepper
2250 1 $2.50 USD $2.50 USD
Red Beard Bunching Onion
2064 1 $2.00 USD $2.00 USD
Red Pear Tomato
1714 1 $1.00 USD $1.00 USD
San Marzano Tomato
575 1 $1.00 USD $1.00 USD
Spacemaster Bush Cucumber
2334 1 $2.00 USD $2.00 USD
White Scallop Squash
2232 1 $2.00 USD $2.00 USD
Yellow Plum Tomato
3182 1 $1.00 USD $1.00 USD
Zucchini, Black
2639 1 $2.00 USD $2.00 USD
Subtotal: $54.50 USD
Shipping: $0.00 USD
Grand Total: $54.50 USD
Every packet had at least a hundred seeds. Price was affordable and I figure if just 1 plant of each variety fruits, I have come out a head.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Saving seeds from a hybrid will not result in the same variety that it came from, what you will get is unpredictable. Might be fun to see, however. Saving seeds from grafted tomatoes will be just like saving them from an ungrafted
heirloom. Here is some interesting data from one company's comparison of grafted vs ungrafted.

Grafted tomato plants
Wow, some of them were significantly more productive. I'm sure you're right about the seeds, but I'm still paranoid about the genes being messed with .

Good point about the hybrid seeds. The whole point was to have some small plants in the house. I only got 10 seeds for $5.00 from Burpee! 9 sprouted, one was a hopeless weird little mutant that I threw away (and I don't like to give up on seedlings), 2 were really slow growing wimps that I gave away to other seniors with garden spots - told them grow these at your own risk, they're runts lol! Of the 6 I have inside, 2 of those are slower growing, too. So, I really only got 4 really hardy plants out of 9 that sprouted - and these little guys weren't cheap. Am curious to see how they produce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Seems like a waste of money on an annual. Way less costly to plant a bunch of seeds with the odds some will survive to maturity and fruit.

I always plant heirlooms simply because I'm pld enough to remember them from my younger years. For the Heirloom tomatoes you can get from 100 to several hundred seeds for about $2 and if you can't get 3 or 4 of them to survive, you are a rare person.

The current batch of seeds I bought.

Every packet had at least a hundred seeds. Price was affordable and I figure if just 1 plant of each variety fruits, I have come out a head.
Wow! Great deal on seeds. Where did you buy them?

I also planted lemon cucumbers on my patio. I have 2 containers on our patio - one is big enough for putting 3 lemon cuke plants (I'm pretending it's a hill). My cement container has 3 heirloom tomatoes in it.

I took a photo of my heirloom tomatoes. I've seen some white flies, so I put down some reflective mulch (I just used foil) as it's supposed to disorient the white flies so they have a hard time finding the plant or some such (actually read this on a university extension site, so I'm honestly not trying to call aliens to the Planet Earth lol!), and I made some yellow sticky traps from yellow plastic and put vaseline on them to catch the flying white flies. So, that's why they look funny:

One is Green Envy (stays green and shaped kind of like a lemon), Big Rainbow (yellow, orange striped), and Cherokee Purple.

These are in a pretty shady area on the patio, so they'll grow slowly. But, the regular gardeners on our patio here have told me it gets so hot in the summer, that they have to shade their tomatoes with umbrellas! So, my spot may work out well.

I've buried them deep - I keep trimming the bottom leaves and adding more soil to get a bigger root system, which is also why they look so wimpy.

I guess I'm just a bit of a romantic when it comes to heirloom plants. I'd rather take them as-is, even if they don't produce as well.

Here are my indoor patio hybrid cherries: Lizzano. The bins on the table are my new worm composting bins I'm setting up. They will live under my bathroom sink in the cupboard.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:22 AM

We have some great nurseries around here and this year I'm trying a heirloom cherry tomato called "Dancing with the Smurfs". They are only about 16" tall but starting to show flower buds.

Attached Thumbnails
What do you think of grafting heirloom plants?-tomato-dancing-smurfs.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden