Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 07:14 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,098,145 times

Advertisements

I would classify this as being clearly abandoned. I would have no hesitations about digging the flowers up and transplanting them. There is no use having them be destroyed. The last thing I would do is contact the city and ask permission. That's just leaving your calling card so they can be a pain in your rear. They most likely will say, "no" because it is easier. Then when you have to tell them to pound sand and just go do it, they know who did it. If someone gets riled up over being "disobeyed" when they had no business giving orders, you could find yourself being harassed. It wouldn't be because you took the flowers, it would be because you had talked to the wrong idiot at city hall.

Do as Mr. close said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 07:14 AM

7,049 posts, read 4,816,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
The person who bought my house and land in NH.....some years ago.....paved my garden for additional parking spaces. Right over my established rhubarb beds, strawberry plots, heirloom herb beds and some of the richest garden soil in town (I had been adding mulch, burying carp from the river run, adding rabbit, goat and chicken manure...(and eradicating witch grass) for years and years.

I always thought that had a moral aspect to it....and expect that some fine day, that rhubarb will crack through the macadam and stand witness to the affront to mother earth.
I sure hope that does happen, Elston. What a damn shame. Sometimes people have no sense .

OP, I agree with those who said try and get permission of some sort. Better safe than sorry.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:06 AM

624 posts, read 762,906 times
Quote:
The person who bought my house and land in NH.....some years ago.....paved my garden for additional parking spaces. Right over my established rhubarb beds, strawberry plots, heirloom herb beds and some of the richest garden soil in town (I had been adding mulch, burying carp from the river run, adding rabbit, goat and chicken manure...(and eradicating witch grass) for years and years.

I always thought that had a moral aspect to it....and expect that some fine day, that rhubarb will crack through the macadam and stand witness to the affront to mother earth.
I would be heartbroken if someone did that to my garden

Old 05-13-2014, 09:10 AM

624 posts, read 762,906 times
I was poking around the web looking for answers to my question and found this. Great article, I appreciate this guy's efforts

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/06/ga...anted=all&_r=0

Old 05-13-2014, 09:16 AM

48,121 posts, read 21,999,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Cat View Post
I was poking around the web looking for answers to my question and found this. Great article, I appreciate this guy's efforts

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/06/ga...anted=all&_r=0

Wonderful article and answer to your question!

Old 05-13-2014, 10:18 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,927,237 times
Quote:

Although that is a bummer, it is his/her property to do what they want with it.

What I would have done is ask the neighbors or former owner (you, if you were living nearby) if anyone wanted to come over and dig up plants before I started paving. Again, new owners get to do what they want with old owner's garden, and for that matter, the rest of the property.

I know firsthand how this feels. One of the houses we sold had 50 new Lilac bushes that we planted. They weren't very big when we sold the house, but for some reason the new owners pulled those 50 bushes. I guess they didn't like Lilacs. Bummer and oh well, is all we could think.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:35 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
Quote:

That would make me terribly sad.

When I move out of this house, I'm going to ask the new owners if they garden. If they do, I will advise them to wait a year and see what comes up before doing any digging, and tell them about what all I have planted in the beds.

If they don't, I'm going to ask permission to come back anytime up to about 5 years and dig up or take cuttings of anything that's still living.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:35 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Help yourself is technical theft really; when its so easy to do a little work to not be.i have a frind who loves roses. When he see a abandon antique rose bush he contracts owner or city he digs it up ;repot and trims at right time then in spring gives them away at city event. He knows that even with little care which he hands out print of likely it will be a success. by its nature.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:47 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
But to answer the OP's question....I would not morally consider it theft, but some town official might think so, so I'd get permission from somebody.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:10 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:

I had similar whishes in the past:>)

OP - besides trespassing there is the issue of liability. Who knows what may be lurking - boars with nails, covered up holes, potential falling debris... worst of all nosy neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden