Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 04:46 PM

148 posts, read 228,840 times

Advertisements

Do what Tiny Tim did.

https://www.google.com/#q=tiptoe+through+the+tulips
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 06:03 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times
Think of them like an abandoned puppy. Would you be willing to trespass to save its life? If you would, then go for the plants.

Worst thing that could happen is the police drive by. Be honest. Say you are trying to salvage what little you can from what the neighborhood used to be.

Even if you got arrested, the judge would throw it out.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:54 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Depends on how strict your city is. It still is someone's ppty and it's illegal to trespass and if the city has condemned it then there are legal issues as well as safety and liability issues.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:02 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Think of them like an abandoned puppy. Would you be willing to trespass to save its life? If you would, then go for the plants.

Worst thing that could happen is the police drive by. Be honest. Say you are trying to salvage what little you can from what the neighborhood used to be.

Even if you got arrested, the judge would throw it out.
naive

Old 05-13-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Depends on how strict your city is. It still is someone's ppty and it's illegal to trespass and if the city has condemned it then there are legal issues as well as safety and liability issues.
absolutely. liability issues are really what will come back to bite you in the butt. say you tripped in a hole from a previous digger and broke your leg...stranger things have happened.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:20 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,099,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
naive
Lacking objective listening skills.

I read your story, but you are calling someone naive for having a position that disagrees with you.

Yes, the judge would be likely to throw it out. You don't think so? Great, you're welcome to your opinion. If you have factual evidence on that case, please provide it. If you don't, your opinion is only equally valid. It is not more equal. Please, cut the arrogance.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:37 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,473 times
I say Take em'.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:34 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
This should have been a poll lol!

My thinking is that it's easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission.

I'm picturing you asking some clerk if you can have permission to take the bulbs. The clerk will say, gee, let me look into that and get back to you.

The clerk then asks the supervisor, who probably doesn't care at all if you do it, but has been told in some meeting somewhere, about liability issues for the city when people trespass on the abandoned, condemned properties.

Maybe the supervisor just says "tell him no" at this point, as it's the safest bet. Maybe the supervisor actually checks with the city attorney, who of course is going to say "no" even if they would love for someone to save the bulbs, because it covers their butt regarding liability.

So, will you get arrested and convicted for trespass and theft? Maybe, if you get caught. Maybe they will make an example of you to scare others from trespassing on the abandoned properties.

I'm thinking that you could argue that if the city owns it, then it's public property, and then you have the right to be on that property, as your tax dollars maintain it.

I don't know.

I do know, that I'd go swipe those bulbs in the very early morning hours, myself.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:22 AM

tulips would never be worth the effort or risk.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:37 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Obviously abandoned or not, the property doesn't belong to the OP. How much trouble can it be to ask permission?

After all, the OP figured out how to take the time to post the question here and hang around to read the replies, in the same amount of time the OP could also have made a few phones calls.

If it doesn't belong to you and you take it, that is theft.

I don't get it:

1. Ask the question on the Internet if it is okay to take the flowers or
2. Ask the question from the property owners (easy to find out) if it is ok to take the flowers.

It isn't difficult to do the right thing and certainly no more difficult than asking people who don't have the authority to give permission.

There is no "moral" dilemma, there is right and wrong. Just digging them up is wrong. Asking permission is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden