Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 02:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times

Advertisements

Speaking from automobile perspective white smoke usually denotes water contamination in the gas or combustion chamber, burning oil has a noticeable blue hue to the smoke, i'd throw a bottle of water displacer in the gas tank and the gas can you use to fill the mower..
Also if the grass is accumulating under the mower you might want to think about getting the blade sharpened and/or mow the grass in dryer conditions like afternoon rather than mornings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 05:33 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Well everything is back to normal for the price of free. I changed the oil and then mowed the lawn for a bit. After about 5 or 10 minutes the white smoke went away and I pinpointed the rattle as the muffler. So much for friends "well versed" in small engines. I won't be tipping it anytime soon, I'm sure a little oil just got into places it shouldn't have been. I'll lift it level onto some sawhorses and clean it from the bottom from now on.

I tried the open side door method, didn't seem to make a difference. The choke point is on the mower body itself, there is a weird slight inward lip. The grass cakes up above the blade and around the sides and doesn't shoot out regardless of having the plastic clip-on deflector chute on or not. oh well. My grass is wet but it isn't much taller than the mower chassis. Thanks for the suggestion though. This will probably be my first and last Troybilt. or MDT.... or whatever its called these days.
Most of those small motors are fine if you tip them away from the carburetor. If I had your model number, serial number and type I could probably pull up a parts manual and confirm my suspicions.

I really don't know what the discharge chute looks like on your mower. You could try cleaning the underside of your mower real good just by shooting water into the discharge chute with the garden hose while the motor is running. If it cleans up and you see shinny paint; try spraying the underside with a can of silicon lubricant. I am not 100% sure that will work; but it works on snow blower chutes and snow shovels. Wait until the under deck is dry before spraying. For safety sake you should always disconnect the spark plug wire when working around the blade.

Happy mowing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden