Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 11:50 AM

1,559 posts, read 2,151,144 times

Advertisements

I've tried a number of weed eradicating chemicals and they keep coming back year after year all over my lawn. I would appreciate it if you can identify and also provide possible remedies. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Please help me ID these weeds-optimized-weed1.jpg   Please help me ID these weeds-optimized-weed2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 12:19 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
The second one is ajuga, not a weed. Don't try to kill it....transplant it to a flower bed or a place where you don't want to mow. It's a great ground cover, sun or shade. When it's not growing in amongst grass and such, it's really pretty....and those flowers are breathtaking in the spring (more flowers in more sun, and also more purple color to the leaves).

The first one, I don't know what it is, but I have it in my yard and I think it's kinda pretty.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:27 PM

Wow, who knew. Thanks for the heads up on the ajuga. I'll transplant it elsewhere.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:34 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
The first one is called Creeping Charlie. It's also called Ground Ivy, Gill-over-the-ground and several other names. Scientific name is Glechoma hederacea. I like it...but if it gets in the lawn I just mow it. It's green--and I don't poison my yard.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:15 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
JackM must be correct.

Creeping Charlie: Pictures, Flowers, Leaves and Identification

This is the creeping Charlie I'm familiar with...

https://www.google.com/search?q=cree...2F%3B800%3B600

I believe I've seen the other also.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:37 PM

Yeah, those are definitely them. One Google search site said I can make tea out of them but I won't go there. Thanks again everyone for responding.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:10 PM

14 posts, read 36,725 times
The first one is ground ivy and I have a lot of it. You can kill it out for one year but I've had to do it every year. I used a product called Turflon Ester by Hi-Yield. It is very expensive but I have tried everything else and not succeeded. You have to apply it every week for 4 consecutive weeks and it has worked great for me. It also kills Bermuda grass for one year.
I totally disagree about the ajuga. I don't like it so it grows all over my yard. The Turflon Ester kills it also. Good Luck

Old 05-22-2014, 08:34 PM

Well, if OP doesn't want to keep the ajuga and it isn't a big patch, it is easily pulled up....it is very shallowly rooted, and you don't have to worry about getting all the roots. As a matter of fact, that's how I transplant mine to other areas of the yard....I pull it up and then just scratch the surface of the dirt where I want to put it and nestle it in. Never had any die on me yet.

I have a variety called 'Burgundy Glow' that is just beautiful. Even after the blue flowers are gone, the little flower spikes are pretty with their creamy markings. Mine grows and blooms well in shade, but even better in morning sun and spreads more quickly. But not invasively. I love it.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:39 AM

Here is a picture of my 'Burgundy Glow' ajuga in both sun and shade.

The first one is in sun....note the more burgundy color in the leaves. This is what it has done since late last summer when I planted one little sprig pulled up from another patch. It grew all through the winter, and we had some pretty cold temperatures this past winter....then took off even more as warmer weather arrived.

The second one is in pretty deep shade. This was taken earlier this spring when it was still blooming. It has been there a few years and is not spreading as quickly as the one in sun.

I have some of the other kind also, the kind the OP posted a picture of. It has more purple color in sun also, spreads quickly, and blooms beautifully. The flowers last a long time on both, and, as I said before, the leftover flower bracts are still pretty on the 'Burgundy Glow' variety. You can see this in the "sun" picture.

So, ajuga is a useful ground cover, IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Please help me ID these weeds-img_3970.jpg   Please help me ID these weeds-img_3751.jpg  

Old 05-26-2014, 08:42 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Ajuga grows beautifully in our very wet shaded lot under maples and pines - consistently regrowing even after it is mowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden