Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 10:53 AM

18,423 posts, read 15,158,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Fescue grass? Are you seeding there? You sure it's not poa annua?
I think it's fescue. Definitely not poa annua. It grows in tufts of only 2 or 3 thin blades that grow very tall if I don't pull them. It has a very loose root system thet makes them easy to pull up, but there are so many of them, and they grow very fast. I've had this problem for 4 or 5 years, trying different methods of prevention. I even tried that weed cloth one year, but this stuff grows right through it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 10:58 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,711,526 times
Right now, it's Virginia Creeper. Hard to believe some people actually grow this on purpose. Guess it's probably not as invasive in the north as it is in the south.

Earlier in the year it was Bradford pear seedlings. I get them by the hundreds every spring, all in my flower beds and under shrubs.

I also have trouble with Chinese privet and Ligustrum seedlings everywhere.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:32 PM

37,478 posts, read 45,740,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I think it's fescue. Definitely not poa annua. It grows in tufts of only 2 or 3 thin blades that grow very tall if I don't pull them. It has a very loose root system thet makes them easy to pull up, but there are so many of them, and they grow very fast. I've had this problem for 4 or 5 years, trying different methods of prevention. I even tried that weed cloth one year, but this stuff grows right through it.
Well that sounds more like nutsedge. You can't pull it up. I mean, you think it's coming up, but there is a tuber very deep that stays in the soil. You'll have to use roundup or a spray specifically for nutsedge.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:04 PM

18,423 posts, read 15,158,285 times
Quote:
Well that sounds more like nutsedge. You can't pull it up. I mean, you think it's coming up, but there is a tuber very deep that stays in the soil. You'll have to use roundup or a spray specifically for nutsedge.
Thanks! That looks like what it is. I have used roundup in the past, but I'm always worried about accidentally killing the plants in the beds, so I think I want to buy something specific for sedge. Sedgehammer seems to get the best reviews, so I just ordered some.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:01 PM

37,478 posts, read 45,740,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Thanks! That looks like what it is. I have used roundup in the past, but I'm always worried about accidentally killing the plants in the beds, so I think I want to buy something specific for sedge. Sedgehammer seems to get the best reviews, so I just ordered some.
I used to buy individual packets of something - I don't even remember the name, but now there are many more options. Sedgehammer should take care of it. You will probably have to spray at least twice...space it a week or two apart. Nutsedge is such a pain...but at least there is a specific control for it.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:44 PM

9,923 posts, read 23,067,935 times
Oh here's another one: winter aconite!
I know people who unsuccessfully try to grow it - in my garden, it's just taking over! It showed up one year, pretty little yellow flowers in early Spring, so I spread a few of the seeds Now I'm doomed because it's everywhere, crowding out my "real" flowering plants
Does anyone have an idea how to get rid of it?

Old 06-05-2014, 05:50 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,696,940 times
Quote:
I have many weeks where there is barely time to mow the lawn, much less do the other yardwork I need to do. There is no freakin' way I could manage the weeds in my beds and yard without using chemicals. I should own stock in Monsanto. My lawn is far from perfect, but it's a good as it's going to get I'm afraid.
I hear ya Chessie....I hear ya. The work schedule has jumped to full, plus overtime and as opposed to them as I am, I'm looking at a couple of areas and considering their use....fighting the urge.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:45 AM

190 posts, read 191,848 times
This is our first spring in a new house with a garden. Yesterday, I found a patch of poison ivy in with the chives.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:55 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,696,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devans0 View Post
This is our first spring in a new house with a garden. Yesterday, I found a patch of poison ivy in with the chives.

Oh man, that sucks!

Old 06-06-2014, 01:00 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,256,180 times
I live in the Portland area and weeds are a rampant, stubborn problem here. I hate them all! But I particularly hate the wild moss in my flowerbeds the most. They're a big pain to remove, and I'm always afraid to use packaged moss killer in the beds. Wish I knew a way to prevent the damn stuff from forming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden